flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hi,
I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but I have decided to mod my Gf3 (have the necessary data), but realized I have never soldered computer hardware in my entire life. Could anyone please give me some good tips. How do u take a resistor off w/o damaging it? How do u put one on?

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Very carfully! Actually I recommend a high-heat solder iron (35W or more) and a pocket knife! But then again I have experience. Oh, but WAIT, that's how I did it when I was LEARNING!
Seriously, there are special tools available, but I've never used them. I use my wife's 35W wood burner (same thing as a solder iron except for the tip), a pocket knife, and a pair of tweazers. And a little burned epoxy doesn't mean death unless you ruin the copper conductor as well, which I've never done.

Back to you Tom...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Soldering is easy, but if you've never done it before, I wouldnt want to learn on a gf3!!, do you have an old radio or something? you could practice taking components off the pcb and soldering them, or bits of wire back on, I personally use a 25W iron for most things, but I can solder, I really would practice if I were you, once you can solder a pcb in a radio, try something smaller (Im not sure how small the points on a gf3 are), I can solder just about anything small, but I've been doing it for a long time.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
practice, practice, practice...
i remember when i didnt know how to solder....and then i took the iron out to the garage, and practiced soldering wires together, and then i felt confident enough to do it on other things, things that could be damaged...(like a radio)...
but i dont feel confident enough to solder on a geforce3...
i would take an old card that is lying around and practice on that...
look for components that are relatively small, comparable to the resistors (assuming that is what you are planning on removing, and resoldering) on the geforce3....
but whatever you do, practice and get good at using lower temps....so that there is no real chance that heat will damage the component...real high temps are not good...just enough to melt the solder...and if you have the dough, get one of those desoldering doo-hickeys they sell at electronic shops...that way, you wont have to worry about the solder dripping onto the pcb, and totally ruining the card....
good luck in your endeavor...

-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

Bruce_W_Schmidt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Gentilemen, you are going to find out that all your posts are very good. EET talking soldering is a art that can be learned. ( over time ). Ok enough ego stroking! the guy desoldering on a gf3 is going to find out that a soldering iron capable of DE/resoldering surface mount components is what he wants. They can be expensive, but the right TOOL makes all the difference! A good investment is a work station intended for this, they solder/desolder all in one. What are you trying to do with this mod, is it worth it?????? Bruce©

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
lol :lol:

you had given me a lot of advices about

but in fact you haven't solder anything ?? :lol:

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing. :wink:

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
with a micro solder iron of 14watts with 0.5 millimeter pin & 0.45 millimeter CMS solder this become easy

& of course with a x9 or x10 loupe otherwise you don't see anything

ok, buy nothing. :wink:

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Yep, soldered correctly- only problem is a psychotic fan in my case fell and killed my modded card:(

on 12/20/2001, so 2 days before, no ?

ok, buy nothing.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
No, I meant look at when I posted asking for help: 09/14/01
That's some time ago. Also, when I said that, I was referring to what happened to my vid card then.

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, when I initially posted on 9/whatever/01, I asked for tips on soldering, and had also been practicing. A week or 2 later, I modded my graphics card, but then the fan killed it. Luckily, the place I had soldered was covered by a heatsink, so I sent it back and got a new one.

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?