How did this happen?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hi,
I was really annoyed and perplexed by why my CPU's temperature suddenly went from 30's to the high 50's degrees C. Yesterday I was just browsing through my BIOS, when I saw that my VCore voltages were higher than what they had been. However, teh CPU is still at 1.2 Ghz. What happened?

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Did you up your core voltage or flash a new bios??

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

RocKo

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
yeh musta done something. lol
it cant just do it, itself.

"I left a track of posts, and lost track of time..." <font color=red><b>-RocKo</b></font color=red> :cool:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I didn't though. That's what's perplexing. I'll set them voltages back to what they were and see what happens. Also, CPU Fan 2 which is supposed to spin at 4500RPM has to spin at 5000+ RPM to keep the temp between 53 and 60 degrees C!

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Electrical Disturbance? Fan not working? Some kind of Power problem? I don't think anything but the very early viruses physically affected a computer, like that one where youhave to take the battery out and replace back in the day. Todays viruses are more like "Format the MBR" or stuff like that. That's really wierd. Of course, your mobo might have gone whack...Try putting a standard thermometer in the case and comparing temps...

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The problem is that the CPU and heatsink seem to confirm that- before I could touchteh heatsink and CPU after shut down, now they burn my hands.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
You using a mobo fan header to power your CPU?

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
My theory is this: You are plugging you heatsink fan (Delta 38?) Into the motherboard 3-pin fan headers...Over time, the amount of power the fan wants has damaged the connector, and it can no longer spin as fast as it needs to. Consequently, the heat of your CPU and heatsink rise, causing an incerase in temps.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It's a coolermaster, and the amount it spins has increased, yet the temp has risen b/c teh apparently higher voltages which I didn't touch.

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 09/16/01 07:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Just a thought. If you lower the ouput voltage in one area (ie RAM) voltages in other areas will creep up as a result. (At least with cheaper power supplies.)

...also, can't you just lower your core voltage?

Pally 1.2@1.4
MSI K7 Master
Swiftech MC462
Crucial 256 DDR x1