Quiet and fast?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Wouldn't it work to have a cpu cooler with a fan that ran at say 25 000 rpm that would be completely whine-less to humans? Seeing as we can only really hear up to 20KHz (I think that's the number anyways), wouldn't raising the frequency of the fan to something beyone our hearing capabilities make it silent to us? Of course there's always the sound of the air blowing through, but that might not be so bad...

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
good idea in theory, but how much would it cost to manuf a fan that can do that speed? also we might have to start bolting our cases to the floor :)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO, fans produce something called "white noise" which covers a wide range of audible frequencies. While you might not heat the 25khz whine, you would hear other noises just below the threshold that would still be very anoying. Also the air would not flow that well, due to a phenomena called "cavitation" which affects all fluids and increases with fan speed.

Back to you Tom...

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ah well, it was a thought. There's always the option of having a microphone placed right above the fan, having that sound processed and then having the inverse of that signal time delayed for the speed of sound before it is sent to a speaker on your desk. The destructive interference would cancel out the sound. But that'd likely be hard to implement, and costly.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
lol, just do what I did <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">here</A> then you dont have the fan problem!

FatBurger

Illustrious
That theory has actually been used to quite good effect. I heard of one rock concert in an amphitheater where they actually had a panel of noise-cancelling speakers, so if you stepped behind the panel, it was dead quiet. If you stepped out beside it, there was suddenly a 110 dB concert going on.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, I know. Sennheiser has some headphones that do that too. I was looking to buy them, but they were $500 or something as I recall.

It's a neat idea when the cost is justified, or when you have money to blow on an awesome set of phones, but to use that tech to cancel out a cooler fan is just stupid. The $500 could be better spent on a massive refrigeration setup.

dhlucke

Polypheme
25,000 RPM? ROFL! You would need a pilot's license to own a computer. Imagine the lawsuits involved when people's cats and dogs get sucked into the case. ROFL

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

lol. yeah from across the road.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The ultimate solution for PC heat is a quiet A/C system. The closest thing to a truly quiet A/C is a water cooling system.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Ok, thats pretty hard core. Looked at your site and when you start installing your cpu cooling solution under the floor of your home your getting pretty serious. If your going to start drilling holes in your floor to run tubing you might as well make your setup a little bigger and make yourself a chiller. You could cool an entire room in your house with a chiller.

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I don't mean one a little radiator with fans blowing here. make yourself a minaturized version of the type they use to water cool building. Lived in dorm where they had one cooling the rooms and they were pretty simple. The chiller just amounted to some wood and a large fan. worked very nice.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I thought about going a but further :) putting a small refrigerator under the floor, and a water container in it, thus cooling the water as it circulates, theres enought room under there for it but I dont have the ££ to get a small refrigerator, and theres also the maintainence, I cant go taking up the floor so often!,and I cant really have anything else around the room, 3 pc's and all the crap that comes with pc's is more than enough for the mrs!
Its still running well, I planned on getting a new PSU by now but just havnt been able too, I have a friend that wants a pc bulinding soon - a 1 gig, I may sell them my cpu and get a faster one, but I'm more interested in overclocking as much as poss than raw clock speed, I mean, anyone can go buy a 1400 cpu, but not everyone can run a 1 gig at 1400, if I got a 1400, Im not sure how high it would go, at the moment Im running 40% over, now if I could run a 1400 at 40% over!!
Glad you like the site, I do plan on getting more stuff on there soon so check back, any ideas are most welcome.