XP SP2 Slow Printer List

Tags:
  • Printers
  • Windows XP
August 30, 2004 12:25:36 PM

Since installing SP2 for Windows XP Home it takes
significantly longer when you press "File -> Print" in
any program (Acrobat Reader, Solid Works, Word) to bring
up the list of network printers. Instead of being almost
instantaneous, it now takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to
have the printers listed. In Internet Explorer (or any
other program with the "Printer" icon) when you press
the "Printer" icon (print to the default printer) the
printing to a network printer is fast. Any help would be
appreciated.

Printer is on a dedicated computer running Windows 95.
Computers trying to print are running Windows XP Home
SP2. There were no issues when running SP1.

More about : sp2 slow printer list

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 2:51:27 PM

Finally someone else that's experiencing this. Same thing on XP Pro after
SP2. I have about 30-40 different printers setup on my laptop from my
various clients' sites. Trying to print from *any* 3rd party application
takes significantly longer to bring up the list of printers (Print Dialog).

Also, the list of printers is now narrowed down to what Windows has
determined are "Ready". Pre-SP2, I got the entire list of installed
printers. Now, it is as if each printer is queried to see if it is available
before the Print Dialog is displayed.

If anyone finds a solution (aside from removing printers), please let us know.

Thanks.

# m a r t y

"James" wrote:

> Since installing SP2 for Windows XP Home it takes
> significantly longer when you press "File -> Print" in
> any program (Acrobat Reader, Solid Works, Word) to bring
> up the list of network printers. Instead of being almost
> instantaneous, it now takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to
> have the printers listed. In Internet Explorer (or any
> other program with the "Printer" icon) when you press
> the "Printer" icon (print to the default printer) the
> printing to a network printer is fast. Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Printer is on a dedicated computer running Windows 95.
> Computers trying to print are running Windows XP Home
> SP2. There were no issues when running SP1.

August 31, 2004 12:09:09 PM

I had the same problem and have found some workaround for
limited number of network printers. At command prompt type
NET USE LPT2 \\computername\printername password , and the
port lpt2 will be assigned to the network printer. After
that port assignment in the Printer Properties has to be
also changed, or, if the Properites are too slow, the old
printer deleted and the new one with LPT2 added. LPT3 (or
maybe another port name) can be used for other printers.
After this assignment, I can access to the printer list
and printer properties as fast as before SP2. However,
this is not perfect solution and I hope that some patch
from MS will appear.
Pavel

August 31, 2004 7:31:02 PM

Wow! That works very well. I had to put " around the
\\computername\printername because our printername has a
space in it. Do I need to put this in the autoexec.bat?
I guess I'll just have to try.

Thank you very much!!!

September 1, 2004 6:40:49 AM

In my case there is no need for putting the command in
autoexec.bat. The assignment seems remembered (see the
first line in a response after just NET USE command). You
can delete it by NET USE LPT2 /DELETE.

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:56:49 PM

Thanks Pavel,
How did you figure that one out? You helped me out tremendously today.

If the printer has a space in the network name; then, you must type:
net use lpt "\\computername\printername"

or you will get a system access error 5.

Thanks again. Pavel is the man!

!