No Status Monitor for Epson printer

My Epson Stylus Color 600 printer prints fine in XP (previously
used it on a Windows 98SE machine). Problem is that the Epson's
Status Monitor, which shows you the remaining ink level, does not
come up. Checked Epson's drivers page and found no XP driver for
this model.

Has anyone found another model driver that would work for the
Stylus Color 600 to get it to show at least the ink level if not
the complete Status Monitor?

Thanks for any info.

George

P.S. Pls. reply in ng; e-mail address is invalid.
13 answers Last reply
More about status monitor epson printer

    Unfortunately it's too old for that to be an economical proposition for
    Epson. Nothing to stop you opening the printer and checking the cartridges
    every now and then though.
    www.coribright.com

    "George" <null@null.51> wrote in message
    > My Epson Stylus Color 600 printer prints fine in XP (previously
    > used it on a Windows 98SE machine). Problem is that the Epson's
    > Status Monitor, which shows you the remaining ink level, does not
    > come up. Checked Epson's drivers page and found no XP driver for
    > this model.
    >
    > Has anyone found another model driver that would work for the
    > Stylus Color 600 to get it to show at least the ink level if not
    > the complete Status Monitor?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    >
    > George
    >
    > P.S. Pls. reply in ng; e-mail address is invalid.

    Thanks for replying, Cari, but since the cartridges are not
    transparent, visually checking them for the ink level would not be
    a solution.

    Epson may shortsightedly believe that not providing a driver to
    support a printer less than 5 years old may be an "economical
    proposition" for them. In the long run however, they've lost
    goodwill, customer loyalty and potential future sales. When it's
    time to buy a new printer, those customers like me, abandoned by
    Epson without a proper driver, are not going to buy an Epson
    again. Writing a driver for XP would have been a much less costly

    "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > Unfortunately it's too old for that to be an economical
    proposition for
    > Epson. Nothing to stop you opening the printer and checking the
    cartridges
    > every now and then though.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "George" <null@null.51> wrote in message
    > > My Epson Stylus Color 600 printer prints fine in XP
    (previously
    > > used it on a Windows 98SE machine). Problem is that the
    Epson's
    > > Status Monitor, which shows you the remaining ink level, does
    not
    > > come up. Checked Epson's drivers page and found no XP driver
    for
    > > this model.
    > >
    > > Has anyone found another model driver that would work for the
    > > Stylus Color 600 to get it to show at least the ink level if
    not
    > > the complete Status Monitor?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any info.
    > >
    > > George
    > >
    > > P.S. Pls. reply in ng; e-mail address is invalid.

    There is not one part of a computer that after a period of time will lose
    support by the manufacturer.. right or wrong, Epson expect to sell new
    technology.. they would bankrupt themselves if they didn't sell a new
    machine.. so you think that you have been robbed, but for a small outlay,
    you could avail yourself of a new printer that is faster, capable of higher
    resolution, and more economical.. the benefits outweigh keeping old
    technology, for you and Epson..

    The sad fact is that you are going to be let down by all manufacturers over
    time.. BTW, how is the model T?.. did you find a tire and wheel shop that
    can supply Bridgestone Potenza runflats in your wheel size yet.. :)

    > Thanks for replying, Cari, but since the cartridges are not
    > transparent, visually checking them for the ink level would not be
    > a solution.
    >
    > Epson may shortsightedly believe that not providing a driver to
    > support a printer less than 5 years old may be an "economical
    > proposition" for them. In the long run however, they've lost
    > goodwill, customer loyalty and potential future sales. When it's
    > time to buy a new printer, those customers like me, abandoned by
    > Epson without a proper driver, are not going to buy an Epson
    > again. Writing a driver for XP would have been a much less costly
    > "economical proposition" for them.
    >
    > George
    >

    > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> Unfortunately it's too old for that to be an economical
    > proposition for
    >> Epson. Nothing to stop you opening the printer and checking the
    > cartridges
    >> every now and then though.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "George" <null@null.51> wrote in message
    >> > My Epson Stylus Color 600 printer prints fine in XP
    > (previously
    >> > used it on a Windows 98SE machine). Problem is that the
    > Epson's
    >> > Status Monitor, which shows you the remaining ink level, does
    > not
    >> > come up. Checked Epson's drivers page and found no XP driver
    > for
    >> > this model.
    >> >
    >> > Has anyone found another model driver that would work for the
    >> > Stylus Color 600 to get it to show at least the ink level if
    > not
    >> > the complete Status Monitor?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any info.
    >> >
    >> > George
    >> >
    >> > P.S. Pls. reply in ng; e-mail address is invalid.

    You made me laugh Mike....

    I have a 1998 Buick Park Avenue Ultra with Bridgestone Potenza tires... (not
    runflats)..... Bridgestone changed the design of the Potenza tires so I
    cannot even replace my tire that has a slow puncture.... I must purchase TWO
    tires (at like $150+ each)..... so that they match. All the other tires
    have plenty of life left in them. So I have to throw one away to get a
    matching set.

    And the original poster is deciding whether he should get a new $70 printer!
    Hmmmm!

    What we buy today is obsolete by tomorrow.
    www.coribright.com

    "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > There is not one part of a computer that after a period of time will lose
    > support by the manufacturer.. right or wrong, Epson expect to sell new
    > technology.. they would bankrupt themselves if they didn't sell a new
    > machine.. so you think that you have been robbed, but for a small outlay,
    > you could avail yourself of a new printer that is faster, capable of
    > higher resolution, and more economical.. the benefits outweigh keeping old
    > technology, for you and Epson..
    >
    > The sad fact is that you are going to be let down by all manufacturers
    > over time.. BTW, how is the model T?.. did you find a tire and wheel shop
    > that can supply Bridgestone Potenza runflats in your wheel size yet.. :)

    Mike,

    The Model T is 96 years old; my Epson printer less than 5!

    Are we not comparing apples (pun intended) to oranges?

    Regards,
    George

    "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > There is not one part of a computer that after a period of time
    will lose
    > support by the manufacturer.. right or wrong, Epson expect to
    sell new
    > technology.. they would bankrupt themselves if they didn't sell
    a new
    > machine.. so you think that you have been robbed, but for a
    small outlay,
    > you could avail yourself of a new printer that is faster,
    capable of higher
    > resolution, and more economical.. the benefits outweigh keeping
    old
    > technology, for you and Epson..
    >
    > The sad fact is that you are going to be let down by all
    manufacturers over
    > time.. BTW, how is the model T?.. did you find a tire and wheel
    shop that
    > can supply Bridgestone Potenza runflats in your wheel size yet..
    :)

    > "George" <null@null.51> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for replying, Cari, but since the cartridges are not
    > > transparent, visually checking them for the ink level would
    not be
    > > a solution.
    > >
    > > Epson may shortsightedly believe that not providing a driver
    > > support a printer less than 5 years old may be an "economical
    > > proposition" for them. In the long run however, they've lost
    > > goodwill, customer loyalty and potential future sales. When
    it's
    > > time to buy a new printer, those customers like me, abandoned
    by
    > > Epson without a proper driver, are not going to buy an Epson
    > > again. Writing a driver for XP would have been a much less
    costly
    > > "economical proposition" for them.
    > >
    > > George
    > >

    > > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > >> Unfortunately it's too old for that to be an economical
    > > proposition for
    > >> Epson. Nothing to stop you opening the printer and checking
    the
    > > cartridges
    > >> every now and then though.
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > >> www.coribright.com
    > >>
    > >> "George" <null@null.51> wrote in message
    > > (previously
    > > Epson's
    > > not
    > > for

    > > not

    Why not email Epson and ask them why they decided not to support it? It is
    after all their product. They would love you to purchase a new printer.
    Marketing and economics is a powerful force.

    > Mike,
    >
    > The Model T is 96 years old; my Epson printer less than 5!
    >
    > Are we not comparing apples (pun intended) to oranges?
    >
    > Regards,
    > George
    >

    > "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> There is not one part of a computer that after a period of time
    > will lose
    >> support by the manufacturer.. right or wrong, Epson expect to
    > sell new
    >> technology.. they would bankrupt themselves if they didn't sell
    > a new
    >> machine.. so you think that you have been robbed, but for a
    > small outlay,
    >> you could avail yourself of a new printer that is faster,
    > capable of higher
    >> resolution, and more economical.. the benefits outweigh keeping
    > old
    >> technology, for you and Epson..
    >>
    >> The sad fact is that you are going to be let down by all
    > manufacturers over
    >> time.. BTW, how is the model T?.. did you find a tire and wheel
    > shop that
    >> can supply Bridgestone Potenza runflats in your wheel size yet..
    > :)
    >>

    >> "George" <null@null.51> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for replying, Cari, but since the cartridges are not
    >> > transparent, visually checking them for the ink level would
    > not be
    >> > a solution.
    >> >
    >> > Epson may shortsightedly believe that not providing a driver
    >> > support a printer less than 5 years old may be an "economical
    >> > proposition" for them. In the long run however, they've lost
    >> > goodwill, customer loyalty and potential future sales. When
    > it's
    >> > time to buy a new printer, those customers like me, abandoned
    > by
    >> > Epson without a proper driver, are not going to buy an Epson
    >> > again. Writing a driver for XP would have been a much less
    > costly
    >> > "economical proposition" for them.
    >> >
    >> > George
    >> >

    >> > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> > proposition for
    > the
    >> > cartridges

    >> > (previously
    >> > Epson's
    > does
    >> > not
    > driver
    >> > for

    > the
    > if
    >> > not

    Yo George

    One year of a cars life is twenty years in computer technology terms.. kinda
    like one human year is seven to a dog.. that would make my last dog aged 105
    when she passed away.. and she was a passive smoker.. anybody who lives
    either with me or close by is a passive smoker.. I smoke for piece in the
    world.. a professional smoker.. I have no chance of living that long.. :( ..

    So you still haven't found any tires then?.. I have located a model T
    computer for you though.. EBay is a marvellous thing.. it is essentially a
    wooden frame with seven parallel metal rods, and there are colored beads
    (wooden for safety.. passes all of Health Canada's rigorous tests) and they
    all work.. it has a label on it that appears to say 'fabrique en Chine'.. I
    guess that the French gotten to China first too..

    Geez, if I never made a joke of things, I would be on more vallium per day
    than cigarettes..

    Stay safe, George

    Mike H

    PS.. get an HP 5150.. really fast and current until at least midday, the day
    after tomorrow..

    "George" <null@null.51> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    >
    > The Model T is 96 years old; my Epson printer less than 5!
    >
    > Are we not comparing apples (pun intended) to oranges?
    >
    > Regards,
    > George
    >

    > "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> There is not one part of a computer that after a period of time
    > will lose
    >> support by the manufacturer.. right or wrong, Epson expect to
    > sell new
    >> technology.. they would bankrupt themselves if they didn't sell
    > a new
    >> machine.. so you think that you have been robbed, but for a
    > small outlay,
    >> you could avail yourself of a new printer that is faster,
    > capable of higher
    >> resolution, and more economical.. the benefits outweigh keeping
    > old
    >> technology, for you and Epson..
    >>
    >> The sad fact is that you are going to be let down by all
    > manufacturers over
    >> time.. BTW, how is the model T?.. did you find a tire and wheel
    > shop that
    >> can supply Bridgestone Potenza runflats in your wheel size yet..
    > :)
    >>

    >> "George" <null@null.51> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for replying, Cari, but since the cartridges are not
    >> > transparent, visually checking them for the ink level would
    > not be
    >> > a solution.
    >> >
    >> > Epson may shortsightedly believe that not providing a driver
    >> > support a printer less than 5 years old may be an "economical
    >> > proposition" for them. In the long run however, they've lost
    >> > goodwill, customer loyalty and potential future sales. When
    > it's
    >> > time to buy a new printer, those customers like me, abandoned
    > by
    >> > Epson without a proper driver, are not going to buy an Epson
    >> > again. Writing a driver for XP would have been a much less
    > costly
    >> > "economical proposition" for them.
    >> >
    >> > George
    >> >

    >> > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> > proposition for
    > the
    >> > cartridges

    >> > (previously
    >> > Epson's
    > does
    >> > not
    > driver
    >> > for

    > the
    > if
    >> > not

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Michelin did that to me.. after years of ripping through tires faster than a
    sideshow strongman rips through telephone directories, I decided to slow
    down a little.. so when I needed new tires for the car, the guy in the tire
    shop told me that he had never seen the type that I had fitted.. a fat mouth
    later, he retracted his statement and agreed that my car, tires and me were
    really not that ancient.. :)) ..

    However, the car in question, a BMW M635i (oooooooh I miss that car), had
    TRX tires and rims.. couldn't get TRXs for love or money, so ended up with
    new rims and tires.. my (ex)wife still laughs about how I went into seizure
    at the price..

    > You made me laugh Mike....
    >
    > I have a 1998 Buick Park Avenue Ultra with Bridgestone Potenza tires...
    > (not runflats)..... Bridgestone changed the design of the Potenza tires so
    > I cannot even replace my tire that has a slow puncture.... I must purchase
    > TWO tires (at like $150+ each)..... so that they match. All the other
    > tires have plenty of life left in them. So I have to throw one away to
    > get a matching set.
    >
    > And the original poster is deciding whether he should get a new $70
    > printer! Hmmmm!
    >
    > What we buy today is obsolete by tomorrow.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> There is not one part of a computer that after a period of time will lose
    >> support by the manufacturer.. right or wrong, Epson expect to sell new
    >> technology.. they would bankrupt themselves if they didn't sell a new
    >> machine.. so you think that you have been robbed, but for a small outlay,
    >> you could avail yourself of a new printer that is faster, capable of
    >> higher resolution, and more economical.. the benefits outweigh keeping
    >> old technology, for you and Epson..
    >>
    >> The sad fact is that you are going to be let down by all manufacturers
    >> over time.. BTW, how is the model T?.. did you find a tire and wheel shop
    >> that can supply Bridgestone Potenza runflats in your wheel size yet.. :)

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hi Cari and Mike,

    This thread is getting off topic, but I did write Epson about the
    problem. Want to guess what solution they give you: install
    Windows 95, 98, or ME, and that will give you the Status Monitor.
    In other words, make my XP notebook dual boot just for the purpose
    of giving the Epson printer the full functionality that a proper
    XP driver should provide. Their lack of adequate driver support
    is surpassed only by their arrogance!

    As soon as my present supply of ink cartridges is used up, I will
    be shopping for a new printer. You can bet it won't be another
    Epson.

    Regards,
    George
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Not really, George.. it is about having to move on.. leave the older stuff
    behind..

    > Hi Cari and Mike,
    >
    > This thread is getting off topic, but I did write Epson about the
    > problem. Want to guess what solution they give you: install
    > Windows 95, 98, or ME, and that will give you the Status Monitor.
    > In other words, make my XP notebook dual boot just for the purpose
    > of giving the Epson printer the full functionality that a proper
    > XP driver should provide. Their lack of adequate driver support
    > is surpassed only by their arrogance!
    >
    > As soon as my present supply of ink cartridges is used up, I will
    > be shopping for a new printer. You can bet it won't be another
    > Epson.
    >
    > Regards,
    > George

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    "George" <null@null.51> wrote in message news:<#5CKv47jEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > Hi Cari and Mike,
    >
    > This thread is getting off topic, but I did write Epson about the
    > problem. Want to guess what solution they give you: install
    > Windows 95, 98, or ME, and that will give you the Status Monitor.
    > In other words, make my XP notebook dual boot just for the purpose
    > of giving the Epson printer the full functionality that a proper
    > XP driver should provide. Their lack of adequate driver support
    > is surpassed only by their arrogance!
    >
    > As soon as my present supply of ink cartridges is used up, I will
    > be shopping for a new printer. You can bet it won't be another
    > Epson.
    >
    > Regards,
    > George

    Think about this George, you have upgraded your system and expect all
    manufacturers to update all drivers regardless... (Many new systems
    come with a printer).
    Your printer is 5 years old, most of the other printers of that model
    have worn out, and are wearing out so there will be less demand for
    cartridges. As the demand decreases so the price will increase to
    cover the manufacturers cost and initial outlay against a longer
    storage times (return on capital) as manufacturing runs will have a
    minimum run.
    So you can buy a better printer for much the same cost as a set of
    cartridges now, in 2 years the much better printer will be half the
    cost of the old cartridges, and you want to add driver development
    costs to this?
    This is not just EPSON, all manufacturers will be the same even those
    making compatible cartridges, in fact they will probably dip out of
    the market first just at the point that the sales volumes take their
    first dip. Yet the main manufacturers continue to support their
    printers 5 years after they were sold across a number of operating
    systems, I know EPSON does.
    I do not think that EPSON is being unreasonable, with the pricing
    demands from the consumer main manufacturers will be putting their
    research and development into new models they will not have the
    resources to put the same development into the older models. And the
    cut-off point? That will be either an operating system restriction or
    the point at which running the printer will become uneconomical to the
    customer, (your printer may stop functioning shortly after you change
    the cartridges, printers only have a finite life as in the total
    volume of pages that they will print).
    If you apply the the same ethos to all printer manufacturers you will
    be back to the John Bull kit in a couple of years...
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    George Wrote:
    > My Epson Stylus Color 600 printer prints fine in XP (previously
    > used it on a Windows 98SE machine). Problem is that the Epson's
    > Status Monitor, which shows you the remaining ink level, does not
    > come up. Checked Epson's drivers page and found no XP driver for
    > this model.
    >
    > Has anyone found another model driver that would work for the
    > Stylus Color 600 to get it to show at least the ink level if not
    > the complete Status Monitor?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    >
    > George
    >
    > P.S. Pls. reply in ng; e-mail address is invalid.

    George:

    I have an epson stylus 400 color and I have the same problem after I
    installed XP Home...I can't get any satisfaction from Epson. I can't
    even get the right colors to come up ,most of my prints are blue..

    --
    Nick
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    So what did you do ???
    You left us hangin

    "Nick" <Nick.1c22oz@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > George Wrote:
    > > My Epson Stylus Color 600 printer prints fine in XP (previously
    > > used it on a Windows 98SE machine). Problem is that the Epson's
    > > Status Monitor, which shows you the remaining ink level, does not
    > > come up. Checked Epson's drivers page and found no XP driver for
    > > this model.
    > >
    > > Has anyone found another model driver that would work for the
    > > Stylus Color 600 to get it to show at least the ink level if not
    > > the complete Status Monitor?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any info.
    > >
    > > George
    > >
    > > P.S. Pls. reply in ng; e-mail address is invalid.
    >

    > George:
    >
    > I have an epson stylus 400 color and I have the same problem after I
    > installed XP Home...I can't get any satisfaction from Epson. I can't
    > even get the right colors to come up ,most of my prints are blue..
    >

    > --
    > Nick

Printers Epson Monitors Windows XP