Tom_Smart

Illustrious
i have no idea, but let me know how you get on. also if you have never done any soldering before, i'll assume you either bought a new soldering iron or borrowed one. if it's the latter why not get the person you borrowed it from to do the job.

Although it has a lot of good ideas, beer doesn't know anything about computers!!!

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
just make sure to be careful with the chips, above 150 and its likely theyll be fried... solderings not too hard and the resistors are quite far placed from the gpu...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

FatBurger

Illustrious
The first time I ever soldered anything was making cords for a million-dollar sound system. Easier, but more pressure. You should be ok.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
i always use a small clip as a heatsink for the chip or whatever your placing on or taking off. helps take some of the heat from the component and transfer it.

2 resistors are what make a quadro from a geforce 3?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Dumb question I know, but what exactly is the difference between the two cards?

And do you have a link handy to a how-to?

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The difference is teh layout of teh board. There needs to be room for teh conexant TV-Out, so therefore the resitors are arranged a different way. to convert a GF3 to quadro (non-tv out) go to http://www.multimania.com/mimi74/QuadroDCC.html. It's in french, but you should be able to understand it. For teh one w/ TV-Out, go to www.xbitlabs.com, and search for GeForce 3 to Quadro DCC- they did an article.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
how did it go? i assume you do a lot of opengl work, am i incorrect? the quadro isnt too bad a card, good luck, just dont leave the soldering iron in contact with anything for too long

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It went horribly, although the soldering went just fine, something from inside my case (apparently a magnet, which I have no idea why it was there anyway) fell on top of teh card and shortcircuited it.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Good thing I have my trusty old 2 MB Cirrus Logic, which my 1.2 GHz Athlon is now running with. Ah, anything could fall on that, it's just that it won't harm it. It's basically a silicon wafer w/ a paperclip as my friends like to call it:)

FatBurger

Illustrious
What?? Dude, that sucks. I guess that's the price you pay for not just buying a Quadro.
You can sell it on Ebay to someone who doesn't notice it doesn't work.
Hell, you're selling tons of crap on Ebay nowadays anyway :)

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I have a moral dilemma with selling something that doesn't work to someone who is ignorant of it. I mean I keep imagining a small kid, or a poor adult finally happy that they got a GF3, and it doesn't work. I'll either try to fix it (I think the only part that died was output for teh monitor), or see if I can RMA b/c it draws magnets to itself and that is a defect:)

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
or you can make a nice geforce3 keychain...
hehe
take the heatsink off, unsolder the chip, and drill a hole into it...then connect it to your keys!
maybe you can sneak it by the warranty...
did you buy it online?...or in the store?
also...i think that you should check your case out...if there are magnets falling onto your video card, then i think that there is something wrong..
the only magnet i can think would possibly be in there is the old pc speaker...but i doubt there is one of those in your case....unless it is an older case..
that would be sweet if you could sneak it by the warranty...
does it look like you modified it?
like...can you tell that the resistor was moved? just say that the card fryed for some reason..and that you know nothing about computers...
lol...
they might fall for it..
good luck!

-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Just go out to a retail establishment, buy a brand new card of the exact same make and model of the one you fried. A couple days later, take back the old in the new box with the drivers, manual, etc. and tell the geek at the counter that you don't like it and would like your money back. I do this at Fry's Electronics all the time and it works like a charm. :smile:

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I didn't tell you to return it to the OEM. Go to any store and buy the Retail Box version. Install the Retail Box version, and then return the OEM version in the Retail Box to the place you bought it from. It works great. Trust me. :smile:

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
HeeHeee...
That's the best idea I've heard in a long time.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
genius, only worked the first time for me though, the second time they get suspicious as they test the cards... could be a bit late if youve drilled a hole inb it for key chain purpouses ;)

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
last time i returned a something to fry's was when i took back this defective network card. (which turned out to be basically the whole line of cards! more later)
i took back this netowrk everywhere card that i bought for my little brother's computer. it is made by linksys, but cheaper version. it wouldnt take the drivers that came with it, so i took it back. when i got there, they checked the serial numbers on the card itself to make sure that it matched with the box....
then i got the same brand, but a new one off the shelf. that one had the same problem on several computers, wanted to make sure there was no problem with the computer.
went there, got my money back, and got him a full on linksys. the same card that is in my system. now all the computers in my network have the same card. and i told the people at fry's to test that type of card for defective bioses or something. they just wont install correctly, even with the newest drivers fromt the manufacturer's site.
so basically, fry's, at least in my experience checked the card that was in the box to make sure that the serial number matches the number on the box. and they inspected the card...so if you did like i said, and drilled a hole in it, then you cant return it...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Psht, and u call yourself HONESTJohn.=) Joking. Don't have a Fry's or anything near me (except for teh wiz, don't want to mess w/ them cause they'll kill me if they find out).

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i returned the card in the box i bought it in. i didnt think up that return it in the retail box when you bought it oem trick..
it is clever, and also DIShonest...
so if i did do it, then i would have to change my name to dishonestjhon....hehehehe
oh well..
i am glad i can keep my name...
oh yeah, tom's pricegrabber isnt as good as pricewatch for some reason. it just doesnt have the breadth of pricewatch.
i am researching prices for a few things..
i will make a post to list the things and get price comparisons from people..

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-