XP Pro SP1 problem switching bet. MS-Fax and printer

At my work we use an auto parts catalog database that is created
and published by the car manufacturer. Recently we set up 2 PC's
with XP Pro's included fax application so that parts drawings
could be faxed directly from each PC with an attached modem.

Our problem is when we want to switch back to local printer, the
fax is still active and the Fax Wizard comes up, even though the
printer is selected. The problem occurs the other way also, if you
print something, then want to fax, even thought the fax icon is
selected, the printer prints, the fax wizard does not appear. In
other words, whichever function was last, is "locked" in. Two
similarly configured PC's do same thing.

All other Windows applications work as expected ( IE, Wordpad,
Paint) in addition, a different car catalog works as expected.

I have spoken to the help line for the vendor, of course they
disavow any knowledge of, or interest in, a problem. Is this a
known problem with some applications, and/or is there some
information I can give the help line to research ??

TIA,
Reed

If all other Windows applications work as expected (Wordpad, Paint, etc.)
and a different car catalog program works correctly, the problem is VERY
likely with the first catalog program. I'm not aware of this being any kind
of known problem; methinks the vendor of the first catalog program needs to
do some fixing...

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com