Looking for an MMO

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hey guys, I am looking for an MMO-type game to get into. I have considered Diablo 3 and renewing my WoW account. I haven't played WoW in 2+ years, and was wondering if it would take me too long to get back into the swing of things due to game changes and gear changes. I can only contribute maybe 1-2 hours 2-3 nights a week, plus more on the weekend, so I am also looking for a game that isn't TOO time consuming. I'd like to be able to get geared and do boss runs on my own time. Can you guys suggest anything?

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
so I am also looking for a game that isn't TOO time consuming
well, every mmo game is a time consuming and addictive cuz its MMO! :p

so are you willing to pay new mmo game? or play F2P game?

-chk Eve online n' see this review
-you might also like Guild Wars 2 Beta via pre-order.
-Tera review

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I'd prefer free, which partly why I've considered D3 (plus, I loved D2). If the game is worth it, I wouldn't mind a P2P. Guild Wars looks awesome! But I have never played. Is it pretty good, or like a cheap WoW knockoff?

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
What about MechWarrior Online? It's not going to be an MMO in the classic sense, you can dip in and out and it's F2P. Oh, and it's MechWarrior... ;)

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
well theres tons of F2P mmos, then you might chk these games out
-Runes of Magic
-The Lord of the Rings Online

as for GW its an amazing game, besides it old (since 2005) game, and you might see some stuff same like WoW, but its not a copy cat game like others, so you can gameplay videos and reviews if you want, i played the game in free weekend beta, and i can say i really enjoyed it.

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Yeah, technically it isn't, nonetheless I have considered it as a game I can "dive" into. Do any of you still play WoW? I know there is an expansion coming out soon, but last I played was Wrath. Have things changed much?

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I probably wouldn't get GW, I would wait until GW2. I saw some IGN video of them testing out the Engineer. How is this game set up? Do you still level/gear like WoW? Group raids/dungeons?

pennywise

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Even though I have till mid-August for my SWTOR sub, our guild is more or less done. It just comes down to nothing to do and our schedules never synched like they did when we were in LoTRO. These days we are sitting tight for Torclight 2 (not a MMO but its co-op, online, and easy to jump in and out of) and to a lesser degree we are curious about GW2. Sorry, but for us F2P is now a deciding factor as our real life commitments are a bit tough at times. LoTRO we still will hop in and out and see what is going on. Riders of Rohan looks interesting with mounted combat and I still want to see the White City!

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I think the F2P thing will be my ultimate deciding factor; remodeling a home while planning a wedding a both huge financial obligations. As I mentioned, I loved D2 when it came out, but Torchlight 2 and Guild Wars 2 are both looking very fun, as well.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

What, you mean apart from it turning into kung fu panda...

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Lol. I heard that the talent trees are getting a complete overhaul, but I didn't quite understand how that is changing the game. There will now be more set paths you can take for leveling?

BlueberryCake

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Leveled a monk panda to 80 in WoW MoP beta and it was enough for me. Used to play FFXI. For now, I'm done with the swords and sorcery scene.

I'm thinking about The Secret World. Played the first week of beta and it was fun. At least to me, it's the new and fresh environments that sucked me in.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
So far aside from WoW which has generally conceded any dignity that it ever had, Tera has been pretty solid in my opinion. It's a little slim on content for the moment but the gameplay is fun and HM Auricadis and HM Kelsaik are challenging fights on equal ground with the majority of hardmode WoW raid fights (and significantly harder than any of the 5 man content in WoW obviously).

Before this last week, GW2 was having a somewhat mediocre beta and losing hype fairly steadily, but now that it's been sold off to Nexon, a lot of what would have been its post-release player base has forsaken the game. It's largely dead in the water and the only people I still see really pinning hopes on the game are the most dedicated fanboys to the series. Hopefully GW2 isn't a flop when it comes out, but the fact that it's losing steam while in beta without even a release date yet and the fact that it's been sold off to a company that is notorious for turning games into pay-to-win disasters that die off completely in a short time, is not boding well for the game.

Other potential MMO's in the near future are Blade and Soul, Neverwinter and The Secret World. Unfortunately, Blade and Soul is very very very eastern so if that isn't your thing, you're SOL. Neverwinter is being described as a "multiplayer online rpg" so you can discern whatever you want from that. And lastly, The Secret World is being handled by the same people that released the half finished disaster that was Age of Conan. Of these 3, The Secret World's premise is probably the most ambitious, but Blade and Soul has similar gameplay to Tera which benefits it, even if the game will very likely be slim on content upon release.

Draw any conclusions that you want to from all of that.

TRENDING THREADS