Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can my new comp do it?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 22, 2012 8:12:32 PM

Hello this is my first and probably only thread but you never know.

Anyways, I would like you to look at my new computers specs and tell me whether I can play certain games like Skyrim, Oblivion and TDU2 on high/ultra video settings.

Specs:

AMD Bulldozer X4 FX-4100 AM3 4.0 GHZ CPU (QUAD CORE)
AMD 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
1TB HD
ATI Radeon HD6450 1GB
500W PSU
Windows XP (I just prefer it) :L
Oh and its overclocked professionally, but by how much, I do not now.


Do I need a better GPU? And i'm most interested in Skyrim on high settings, but will it work out?

Thanks

-JDH

More about : comp

June 22, 2012 9:59:45 PM

You DEFINITELY need a new gpu.
What resolution do you play it on?
June 22, 2012 10:20:14 PM

Haven't started playing it yet mate just wanted to know if it would be crap or not.

I'm thinking i'll go for anything above 800x900 tbh if i can.

Whats wrong with the gpu though? I've seen youtube videos of people playing on quite high settings with the same card, yet i have a better processor and other accessories.

I'm worried now! lol im new to computer gaming you see :/ 
Related resources
June 22, 2012 10:58:57 PM

Huggy94 said:
Haven't started playing it yet mate just wanted to know if it would be crap or not.

I'm thinking i'll go for anything above 800x900 tbh if i can.

Whats wrong with the gpu though? I've seen youtube videos of people playing on quite high settings with the same card, yet i have a better processor and other accessories.

I'm worried now! lol im new to computer gaming you see :/ 


Well... it should play at 1024x768 at maybe med... but I don't know if you'll enjoy it. The 6450 is a lowest end card (6xxx) AMD has, and it isn't meant for gaming.
June 22, 2012 11:02:39 PM

kracker said:
Well... it should play at 1024x768 at maybe med... but I don't know if you'll enjoy it. The 6450 is a lowest end card (6xxx) AMD has, and it isn't meant for gaming.



Ok mate, but my processor is pretty high end right? And what would be a better gpu in a similar price range for high settings?
June 22, 2012 11:19:05 PM

Huggy94 said:
Ok mate, but my processor is pretty high end right? And what would be a better gpu in a similar price range for high settings?


Not high, but med to high. What do you mean about price range? you mean same price as the FX-4100?
June 22, 2012 11:21:37 PM

kracker said:
Not high, but med to high. What do you mean about price range? you mean same price as the FX-4100?


I'm not familiar with GPU names at all so I really cant say. I've seen a 550ti geforce card that seems good. Is it better? And med to high for a processor is ok for me :) 
June 22, 2012 11:25:04 PM

Huggy94 said:
I'm not familiar with GPU names at all so I really cant say. I've seen a 550ti geforce card that seems good. Is it better? And med to high for a processor is ok for me :) 


Yes, that or the Radeon HD 7770, I would recommend this for that range, since Geforce 650 isn't out yet.
June 22, 2012 11:30:27 PM

kracker said:
Yes, that or the Radeon HD 7770, I would recommend this for that range, since Geforce 650 isn't out yet.


Ok thankyou. So a 7770 or 550would allow the best quality performance and visuals?

Also, what are your specs? Are you used to high quality games? What experience do you have with gaming comps?

Its nice to be chatting with someone who is being honest and informative about all this. I hope its not all just personal opinion mind you though :p 
June 22, 2012 11:40:42 PM

Huggy94 said:
Ok thankyou. So a 7770 or 550would allow the best quality performance and visuals?

Also, what are your specs? Are you used to high quality games? What experience do you have with gaming comps?

Its nice to be chatting with someone who is being honest and informative about all this. I hope its not all just personal opinion mind you though :p 


I have a HD 7770, it's a nice card, gets 45-60 fps most of the time, I run it on High, 720p.
June 22, 2012 11:51:25 PM

kracker said:
I have a HD 7770, it's a nice card, gets 45-60 fps most of the time, I run it on High, 720p.


Ok I should say by now that I havent actually got the computer I specified its just one Im after but it doesnt sound convincing after some research.

How does this computer sound for quality Skyrim Kracker:


Xigmatek 500W PSU
AMD ATI Radeon HD 7750 1GB Graphics Card
Xigmatek 500W PSU
1 x 24x DVD-RW Optical Drive
Galaxy Bubble Gaming Case
1 x 500GB Sata III Hard Drive
Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2 Motherboard
2.7GHz AMD A4-3400 2-Core Llano APU
1 x 3x Game Bundle Offer 2
No Operating System Needed
Standard Manufacturer Heatsink Fan
8GB Crucial Ballistix 1333MHz RAM


Can I max out my favoured games with this baby above?
June 23, 2012 12:00:31 AM

Huggy94 said:
Ok I should say by now that I havent actually got the computer I specified its just one Im after but it doesnt sound convincing after some research.

How does this computer sound for quality Skyrim Kracker:


Xigmatek 500W PSU
AMD ATI Radeon HD 7750 1GB Graphics Card
Xigmatek 500W PSU
1 x 24x DVD-RW Optical Drive
Galaxy Bubble Gaming Case
1 x 500GB Sata III Hard Drive
Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2 Motherboard
2.7GHz AMD A4-3400 2-Core Llano APU
1 x 3x Game Bundle Offer 2
No Operating System Needed
Standard Manufacturer Heatsink Fan
8GB Crucial Ballistix 1333MHz RAM


Can I max out my favoured games with this baby above?


Looks good, except for the A4. You might want to try perhaps an i3-2100, or if not a Sandy Bridge Pentium G series.

See this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
June 23, 2012 12:29:45 AM

Huggy94 said:
How does a 3.6GHz AMD FX-4100 4-Core CPU sound?


I would still say the i3-2100, it's almost the same price too, it fares much better in most games.
June 23, 2012 12:37:34 AM

kracker said:
I would still say the i3-2100, it's almost the same price too, it fares much better in most games.


I just cant afford any of the I CPUs. :/ 

Its gotta be either the AMD FX 4100 4 CORE or the AMD A4 2 core.
June 23, 2012 12:52:26 AM

Huggy94 said:
I just cant afford any of the I CPUs. :/ 

Its gotta be either the AMD FX 4100 4 CORE or the AMD A4 2 core.


Ah. I see. try a Pentium G860 or 870? They are much better than what comes to mind first with "Pentium"...
June 23, 2012 1:15:48 AM

kracker said:
Ah. I see. try a Pentium G860 or 870? They are much better than what comes to mind first with "Pentium"...


I'd rather stick with an AMD mate ive just heard better reviews about them.

Here's my computer as I want it (and at the right price for me) :

Xigmatek 500W PSU
1 x 24x DVD-RW Optical Drive
Galaxy Bubble Gaming Case
1 x 500GB Sata III Hard Drive
AMD ATI Radeon HD 7750 1GB Graphics Card
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Motherboard
3.6GHz AMD FX-4100 4-Core CPU
Windows XP
Standard Manufacturer Heatsink Fan
8GB Crucial Ballistix 1333MHz RAM

Is that acceptable for high end gaming? Surely it is?! Thats £428 right there!
June 23, 2012 1:42:21 AM

Huggy94 said:
I'd rather stick with an AMD mate ive just heard better reviews about them.

Here's my computer as I want it (and at the right price for me) :

Xigmatek 500W PSU
1 x 24x DVD-RW Optical Drive
Galaxy Bubble Gaming Case
1 x 500GB Sata III Hard Drive
AMD ATI Radeon HD 7750 1GB Graphics Card
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Motherboard
3.6GHz AMD FX-4100 4-Core CPU
Windows XP
Standard Manufacturer Heatsink Fan
8GB Crucial Ballistix 1333MHz RAM

Is that acceptable for high end gaming? Surely it is?! Thats £428 right there!


Ah well. I suppose so... you should be able to run Skyrim on high at 720p, games like crysis2 and bf3, you'll probably have to lower just a bit.
June 23, 2012 1:46:03 AM

kracker said:
Ah well. I suppose so... you should be able to run Skyrim on high at 720p, games like crysis2 and bf3, you'll probably have to lower just a bit.


Thats fine. Just one question- will it have better graphics and performance than an xbox 360?
June 24, 2012 1:08:47 AM

^ YES i extremely second that an i3 or even G8xx will be MUCH better than any AMD at the same price range, also thought I might throw in some info becuase I have a small comp I use for cabin/travel with a G860 and a GTX 550 Ti 2GB Superclocked and that runs Skyrim at Ultra @ 1080p no problem, the G860 is very good for a cheap processor, almost all Intels will consistently beat AMD, especially an i3 vs FX4100
June 24, 2012 1:33:15 AM

Quote:
Get off the silly bandwagon...

The AMD phenom II x4's are more than comparable to an i3...
4 real cores that can OC upwards to 4.2ghz...

Get real.


@ the gaming section at the end: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/186?vs=289

i am not intel fanboy and i definitely did not say they are incomparable (i3 vs phenom ii x4), they are certainly comparable for gaming but i3 is still much better

EDIT: and i am not factoring in OC i am just talking about stock
June 24, 2012 1:42:26 AM

i guess i would agree with the 4 core games part but he is trying to play skyrim and oblivion on ultra and i am pretty sure Skyrim is more better optimized for dual not quad anyway (i could be wrong about that).
!