Fan Question

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok, if you imagine a fan, the fan has a spindle (metal shaft) that rotates inside the fan housing, this spindle rotates pretty fast so needs some sort of bearing, otherwise the plastic housing would wear away. A ball bearing is what it says, a series of minute balls enclosed in whats called a race (basically enclosed in a round thing, the spindle goes down the middle- so as the fan turns, the ball bearings allow it to rotate freely), a sleeve bearing, is basically a metal or plastic (or other material), into which fits the spindle. A ball raced fan is usually quieter, and is less likely to wear out. Hope that makes sence, why cant we post pictures here?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CALV on 09/24/01 04:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
More likely to wear out? I am curious as to why. Going by common logic would say that ball bearing would last long AND be quieter. Small metal balls would be less loud and with less contact area, last longer than a (relatively) large surface in contact with moving parts all the time.

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
as calv said except good quality ball races should last years(there sealed with the balls running in grease)
cheap ones run dry & wont last as long
its easy to tell the difference (if you can see the steel balls its not sealed!!)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It is a general rule that ball-bearing fans last a lot longer than sleeve fans. That's why they cost more! My 6-year-old HSF on my old P133 system is still working. I haven't made any major upgrades to my P133 since 1996 except for a new graphics card (ATI Xpert@Play). It really gave my system a turbo boost from my older ATI Xpression (Mach64 2D Card) because now it supports some of the older 3D games.

How is this related to fans? Well, I'm just emphasizing the point that computer components do last!! My uncle bought a PC in 1990, I believe but it's still working!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
OOPS, typo!!!
ball races are LESS likely to wear out!!, I'll edit the post now, sorry !

Next time you wave - use all your fingers