Mac's

G

It would seem to me that Mac's are a superior computer but not very popular. Why are they not supported very much when the advantages are obvious. Marketing politics!

Thanks
Patrike

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
TROLL FREAKIN TROLL!!!

Get the hell away from the messageboard!

Note how there is no section of the board titled "Macs" so why don't you take your MacAddict $hit and peddle it somewhere else!

There are only 3 good macs I've ever seen. One was being hit by a hatchet, the other was a fishtank. The third was running Linux.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
dude, prove to me mac is better than my 1.2 Ghz T-Bird. Firstly the G4 is actually 32-Bit, so wow- 800 something MHz in 32Bit- hey didn't the PC world go past that a long time ago? Also, like 5% of the apps are supported by mac. Finally, don't get me started on how much I hate the OS.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

G

Did your parents abuse you as a child -- actually your still a child -- at least based on your immature replay.

I do not own a Mac, but merely stated a question.

Maybe you should find a different forum -- on for thoughtless belligerent children.

Patrike.
They say God loves all, even the stupid.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
You've got what...2 posts?

And your first one was about macs in the section "Overclocking CPUs". Macs cost too much. They're slow. They're OS sucks (almost as much as Windows 98), and no apps run under it. And you wanna know why no one likes macs? Try moving this into other so Yahiko can do more of his forum pr0n.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Dude, mellow out. I hear where he is coming from. Besides, have you seen WinXP? If you didn't know any better you would think it was running a OSX. If there was more software available then there would be more hardware available, and cheaper. So argue the computer itself, not the politics.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I don't like Macs. I don't like people that like Macs. I recommended an iMac for my aunt, and have regretted it ever since. I am sick of people whining about their OS. If you want an OS, go with Linux. Thats the only reason I own Apple hardware, is cuz they run Linux. And why the hell is this post still here? I'm not getting sucked into a Mac vs. Windows debate. Macs suck, Windows Sucks. Linux is good. And tell me, dhlucke? Where is he coming from? If Apple made better products, why aren't they in the corporate market? They are in the home/school ghetto, and THEYRE NEVER GETTING OUT!!! Macs will be replaced by some kind of EZ-Linux in the home in the next 5 years, and as the number of Macs decreases so will the amount of software written for them (already anemic) so Apple will die, or end up splitting into several different companies. Apple is dead. Theyre products suck. They dont have software. And their computers are UNBELIEVABLY expensive. Thats why nobody buys Apple.

G

Please define the term "supercomputer" patrike? In 286 days, iMacs could be supercomps, you are right.

At uni, we have a Mac lab. Full of G3 stuff. I don't know their speed but they are bought a year ago or so. Believe me, I can't open 3 applications together. They always crash. In a another lab, we have Pentium 100's with Linux in them. They are 2 times faster than Macs and they never crash, no matter what you throw at. Somewhere, I heard that Mac processors floating point is much powerfull than the Intels. Probably thats why, I can finish the same Spice simulator in Pentium 100 easily under 5 minutes but the G3 keeps crashing every second time. Not to mention the price...

<font color=red>Apple</font color=red> <font color=blue>inside</font color=blue>, <font color=green>idiot</font color=green> <font color=purple>outside</font color=purple>...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
macs are crap, windows is crap, linux is crap

All True, and all false also, depending on what you want to use it for, Most pro graphic designers (i.e. magazines and such, photo stuff) use macs, linux cant play games too well and isnt for the average novice, windows isnt stable but has by far the most apps for it. Its like a farmer saying a ferrari is crap- it wouldnt do what he wanted, so from his point, it would be crap. A lot of people slate macs, but havnt even used one.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Actually, Linux is unbelievably stable- I've never had a crash! (And I have left my computer on (and running) for 3 months. Can Win2k do that? No. I can also pick which desktop I want. I can make it act like Mac OS 9 or 10, or Windows. Can Win2k do that? Can any other OS do that? I didn't think so. Linux=the OS for the people.

G

I was not aware that there allot of linux apps out there. I never see anything about it very often. In fact I see less of linux apps then I do for stuff supporting Mac's

I thought I just read something -- or someone told me that Mac's (G4's) are 64 bit processors.

That is what prompted my intial inquiry.

Patrick.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nope. G5's supposedly will be, but the G4 is a 32-bit processor.

Firstly the G4 is actually 32-Bit, so wow- 800 something MHz in 32Bit- hey didn't the PC world go past that a long time ago?

Right, and the P4 1.5 is faster than the AMD 1.4? Not a chance. Remember that clock speed isn't everything. Mac kicks butt in Photoshop, which means that my filters will render in .75 seconds instead of 1. No, seriously they're great for graphics/3D programs, but crappy for everything else, pretty much. Even games, which doesn't make much sense.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Did you notice that the Athlon was crippled; it has (had) a bum IDE system. I guess bogohurts don’t care about the disk.

What part of the chicken is the bogohurts?

Schmide

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Linux is cool if you like piss poor driver support and a shrinking application base, other than that it rocks though.

Windows xp is the future baby, fast, stable(for once) m$ finally did something right!

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I expected better from you, Matisaro. Linux supports more hardware than Win2k. Oh yeah, and "shrinking application base"...Try checking freshmeat. Windows XP sucks hard, it sucks long, and give me that Product Activation crap over my cold, dead body. I'm sticking with my 2 pirated copies of Win2k and Linux, Thank you very much.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I'm tryin....Slogan: "Pay for Linux, Pirate Windows"

dhlucke

Polypheme
You should see this forum...

<A HREF="http://www.wxperience.web-unlimited.de/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=3&3318" target="_new">http://www.wxperience.web-unlimited.de/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=3&3318</A>

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Gee, im running winxp corporate, no activation....I wonder how I managed that seeing as it isnt released for a few more weeks, LOL, even the ms update site is working.

::probably stupid for even trying to update pirated pre release windows xp copy::

As for linux supporting more hardware, yeah, sure, thats why NOT A SINGLE soundcard in toms recent soundcard roundup has linux driver support.

Linux is fine, but it does not get the app/driver support it needs to succeed.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~