removing factory heatsinks?

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
my mx400 heatsink is small :( and its attached with some sort of cement cause it doesn't seem like it can be removed without damaging the gpu.

any thoughts?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Use some sort of small metal wire. I'm going to use the high E off my guitar next time I change the strings.
Then use JB Weld to get the next heatsink on. Remember to sand it very lightly (maybe a kitchen scrubber), to get the current glue off.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I use a pocket knife and a thin flat screwdriver (to place flat against the board, protecting it from the screwdriver). JB weld is great for putting the new one one, use a thin coat (like it's painted on) and press down firmly to release any air bubbles.

Oh, and I also use the knife for scraping off the old glue.

Back to you Tom...

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
the wire worked great, no prying or harming any of the materials it just cut through like a knife to butter. and i used a razor to take off any of the left over cement.

Jb weld. is there a specific type? i'm sure when i get to the store to pick some up there is going to be all kinds for diffrent things.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Will this work for the ramsinks as well, I am planning on putting some pentium pro active heatsinks on my gf3's ram and also replacing the cpu cooler with a cut down p3 cooler......with a nice big sunon blowing air on the whole thing. Can I get the ramsinks off the ram without using a hammer like some other sites suggested.(tap on it gently they say, hell if im using a hammer on my 350 gf3 what are they crazy???)

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I usually cut large Pentium sinks in two to get a heatsink large enough to cool 2 memory chips, and attach it with JB-Weld. Remember to use a thin coating. The only chip I actually REMOVED a JB welded heatsink from was a PII, and it too a LOT of hammering. And that one had been glued on without cleaning (a clean surface holds better).
Anyway, the original stuff usually is not that strong and you should not have any problems prying the original sinks off.

Back to you Tom...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I have 6 pentium pro heatsinks with fan, I plan to put 1 heatsink covering 2 ram chips(no cutting) and then plug them all in seires with fan adapters I bought. Should be awesome.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
man, way back in the day, i was going to remove the heatsink from my stealth3, and put a 75 watt peltier on it...just to see what i could do, but i couldnt figure out how to take that heatsink off, and everyone i asked said that it is really dangerous to do so, and that i can just pull it off. i didnt want to try it...because that thing was on there good...
i am really happy that companies started to make their cards with upgradeable heatsink fan combos...like on my geforce2 pro....
all i have to do is unclip the stock one, and put on a new one..
much easier than having to deal with the epoxy that they used to use...

-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, fortunately, i dont have to deal with it anymore, i can just unhook it...
and as far as the stealth goes, i sold it to my little bro for about 20 bucks, with a big fan on it...
so it is in his hands now, and if he wants to deal with it, i will give him some help, but i think that it should be fine for him..

-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Naaah, not insane like fugger, putting his gf3 into a refridgerator then overclocking it so high it melts lol.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
well, ages ago I heard about the "freezer trick" and it stuck in my mind as it sounded sooooo well, sutipd I suppose, but I came to take the heatsink off my gf2 and it was SOLID, wouldnt move. I put it an a bag in the freezer for about 20 mins, the heatsink then levered off with ease, and lucky for me, all the adhesive was on the heatsink and the card was clean!

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
No, he actually ran his card in a refridgerated case in order to prove his bs claim. (see the most viewed thread in toms hardware guide history in the videocard forum). He wound up frying his videocard from stupidity and buying a new cpu to finally match his origional bs claim.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cold makes epoxy more brittle, and the aluminum shrinks faster than the silicon. So when you freeze your card you have brittle epoxy under tension (from the difference in shrink rates). I've never had to do this myself.

Back to you Tom...