HP Networked printer and Windows XP SP2

Hi, I'm a neophyte Windows XP user, and I have a
problem...

I have a hp 4100 dtn (networked) printer that I've been
printing to from several machines (3 running linux and 2
running Windows XP). All was fine until another Windows
XP machine was bought. I couldn't get the Printer Wizard
on the new machine to recognize the printer, even though
I could ping the printer from the new machine.

So I updated to SP2, still no help. Then I updated one
of the older XP machines to SP2. I can still print to
the printer from SP2 using the old printer spec, but if I
try to add a printer, the new SP2 Printer Wizard will not
recognize the networked printer. So - if I have a pre-
existing printer spec, then I can print to it, but using
the new Wizard does not allow me to create a new printer
spec.

I have tried the following using the Wizard, and each
time was given an error that the name was incorrect:

Browse --> not find printer
192.168.1.10 --> bad name
192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
http://192.168.1.10 and http://192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad
name
//192.168.1.10 and //192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
IP_192.168.1.10 and IP_192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
HP LaserJet 4100 Series PS --> bad name
\\192.168.1.10 and \\192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name

As you can tell, the printer's IP address is 192.168.1.10
and you print to it on port 9100. The printer does
respond to pings from the new XP machine, but the new
machine does not recognize the printer nor any name that
I can think of using.

Thanks for the help.
Solouki
4 answers Last reply
More about networked printer windows

    Are you attempting to make a connection to the printer or is this when you
    are creating the Standard TCP/IP port to the device?

    Is SNMP enabled on the printer? Standard TCP/IP port issues an SNMP request
    for ID from the device an compares the response to the list of devices in
    \windows\system32\tcpmon.ini in order to configure the port.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Solouki Barbican" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm a neophyte Windows XP user, and I have a
    > problem...
    >
    > I have a hp 4100 dtn (networked) printer that I've been
    > printing to from several machines (3 running linux and 2
    > running Windows XP). All was fine until another Windows
    > XP machine was bought. I couldn't get the Printer Wizard
    > on the new machine to recognize the printer, even though
    > I could ping the printer from the new machine.
    >
    > So I updated to SP2, still no help. Then I updated one
    > of the older XP machines to SP2. I can still print to
    > the printer from SP2 using the old printer spec, but if I
    > try to add a printer, the new SP2 Printer Wizard will not
    > recognize the networked printer. So - if I have a pre-
    > existing printer spec, then I can print to it, but using
    > the new Wizard does not allow me to create a new printer
    > spec.
    >
    > I have tried the following using the Wizard, and each
    > time was given an error that the name was incorrect:
    >
    > Browse --> not find printer
    > 192.168.1.10 --> bad name
    > 192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
    > http://192.168.1.10 and http://192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad
    > name
    > //192.168.1.10 and //192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
    > IP_192.168.1.10 and IP_192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
    > HP LaserJet 4100 Series PS --> bad name
    > \\192.168.1.10 and \\192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
    >
    > As you can tell, the printer's IP address is 192.168.1.10
    > and you print to it on port 9100. The printer does
    > respond to pings from the new XP machine, but the new
    > machine does not recognize the printer nor any name that
    > I can think of using.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    > Solouki

    Thanks Alan,

    But I've solved my problem by a roundabout trick: I took
    a printer spec that I could create to a local printer,
    and then modify the spec to made it a networked printer.
    This allowed me to feed in the printer's IP address
    (192.168.1.10) and port number (9100), thus getting
    around the problem of the Wizard not recognizing the
    printer nor allowing me to enter its IP address.

    Sorry, this is probably not the suggested solution to my
    problem, but it worked and I can now print to the
    networked printer from the new machine.

    Thanks again,
    Solouki

    [ln];kbhowto

    confers no rights.

    >"Solouki Barbican" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message
    >> Hi, I'm a neophyte Windows XP user, and I have a
    >> problem...
    >>
    >> I have a hp 4100 dtn (networked) printer that I've been
    >> printing to from several machines (3 running linux and
    2
    >> running Windows XP). All was fine until another
    Windows
    >> XP machine was bought. I couldn't get the Printer
    Wizard
    >> on the new machine to recognize the printer, even
    though
    >> I could ping the printer from the new machine.
    >>
    >> So I updated to SP2, still no help. Then I updated one
    >> of the older XP machines to SP2. I can still print to
    >> the printer from SP2 using the old printer spec, but
    if I
    >> try to add a printer, the new SP2 Printer Wizard will
    not
    >> recognize the networked printer. So - if I have a pre-
    >> existing printer spec, then I can print to it, but
    using
    >> the new Wizard does not allow me to create a new
    printer
    >> spec.
    >>
    >> I have tried the following using the Wizard, and each
    >> time was given an error that the name was incorrect:
    >>
    >> Browse --> not find printer
    >> 192.168.1.10 --> bad name
    >> 192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
    >> http://192.168.1.10 and http://192.168.1.10:9100 -->
    bad
    >> name
    >> //192.168.1.10 and //192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
    >> IP_192.168.1.10 and IP_192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
    >> HP LaserJet 4100 Series PS --> bad name
    >> \\192.168.1.10 and \\192.168.1.10:9100 --> bad name
    >>
    >> As you can tell, the printer's IP address is
    192.168.1.10
    >> and you print to it on port 9100. The printer does
    >> respond to pings from the new XP machine, but the new
    >> machine does not recognize the printer nor any name
    that
    >> I can think of using.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help.
    >> Solouki
    >>

    >.

    This is ridiculous that you need a damn network engineer to get a PC to
    print on a network, you Microsoft engineers need to see how easy it is
    on OSX to setup a printer, I got this new PC for my wife's new job that
    needs to run on Windows and expected that it would be no problem to
    print to an Apple Laserwriter 16/600 (the driver in there in XP) via
    ethernet network and a router that all my Macs are on and the printer,
    but nothing works, but every Mac in the house prints fine, either via
    ethernet or wireless and this Compaq PC can't, I just understand, the
    internet works fine, but priting is out of the question.

    OK. Now I am really confused. Your "Subject" seems to indicate that the
    problem is 'solved' yet the body of the message leaves some doubt. Also, you
    give no indication in your post concerning what you have done to try to
    establish network printing and what the result was.

    If there is still a problem printing from the Compaq PC, please let us know
    what you have tried and what the result was.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "The Enforcer" <enforcer@iname.com> wrote in message
    : This is ridiculous that you need a damn network engineer to get a PC to
    : print on a network, you Microsoft engineers need to see how easy it is
    : on OSX to setup a printer, I got this new PC for my wife's new job that
    : needs to run on Windows and expected that it would be no problem to
    : print to an Apple Laserwriter 16/600 (the driver in there in XP) via
    : ethernet network and a router that all my Macs are on and the printer,
    : but nothing works, but every Mac in the house prints fine, either via
    : ethernet or wireless and this Compaq PC can't, I just understand, the
    : internet works fine, but priting is out of the question.

Printers Hewlett Packard Windows XP