Graphic board burnout

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hi,
my friends and I were talking about OC today, and a questions came up as to whether or not it could ever occur for the graphics board to burn out so that it is black, while at the same time the rest of teh computer is fine. Is that possible, and how could it happen?

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

well it didn't turn black. it did however turn a little amber or brown.
when i restarted the bios screen for the card looked german. then the regular info on post was ok except here and there i would get programming charactures instead of letters. windows was awful looking. with many weird errors.
so yeah it could happen..goodbye geforce 256 ddr. hello gts/pro 64mb.

I aint signing nothing!!!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i think that if the card really overheats, then it can burnout, and i dont think that it will turn black, like was stated, it will just turn kinda brown, and stop working correctly at stock settings. well, it sucks, but that is the price of knowing how far a card can be pushed...unfortunately, they arent all the same...and one card may be able to go a bit farther than the next, so when it comes to overclocking a nice expensive card, i would suggest going far, but not too far...otherwise, risk it...

-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The heatsink popped off my wifes 3dphrophet (origional gf 256 with sgram(or sd cant remember) anywayy, the chip did not fry out, but it caused permanent graphical glitches onscreen(lines everywhere and random characters) very bad. RMA'd it. Then sold it hehe.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
sweet....
how the hell did the heatsink pop off tho? that is really strange....either there was some crazy temp change, or the epoxy they used was really crappy, and i mean REALLY crappy..
also, what did you put in your wifes comp to replace what you sold?
something better i am assuming....;)

-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I fried a voodoo2 once overclocking it, you can normally tell when you are reaching the limits as the display gets lines and stuff accross it, however I left this running for some reason and came back it was fried, the board was sort of tarnished brown, where the pcb coating had got too hot, smelled a bit too.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
how fast did you get it going before it was past it's limit?
i had one of those, and i never tried overclocking..
just didnt feel like bothering with finding an overclocking utility, and then fiddling with it..
this was back in the days of voodoo2..when i was a young'n
now overclocking video cards has become second nature to card manufacturers. they actually include overclocking utilities that are pretty simple to use! no more searching and incompatibility issues!
lol
thanks technology!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-