thebluedog

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2001
I recently helped my brother build a computer. I love reading hardware reviews and he hasn't built a computer before so he asked me to give my recommendations. However, I didn't have the chance to study out what HSF would be best before he went and bought a very loud and ineffective Volcano6 CU+. It keeps it cool enough (51 idle and 58 max load) to be stable but it's TOO LOUD. Do I have to spend 40 bucks on the alpha pal 8045 to get a quiet enough HSF that cools decent. He won't overclock it so what is the quietest, cheapest fan that will keep a 1.4 Tbird adequately cool? As long as it is stable and not over 55-60 degrees when running at max load I will be happy. Advice please? Thanks so much.

By the way, I have two good case fans and the room temperature is rather cool. Again, a big concern is price. Is there anything in the 15-30 buck range that would be quiet and adequate? Thanks again.

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Millennium Glaciator...under 35 bucks complete with packet of A2 compound.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

thebluedog

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2001
Thanks. For what you get the price seems very good. My only setback would be the weight. I bring my computer over to my friend's house a lot. Does anybody have the glaciator? Do you think that the weight would seriously be a problem if you moved the computer around a lot?

As long as it's funny it's okay.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The problem is if you drop it. That clip is 'shearing' the plastic on the socket, so if it snaps through the plastic, you won't be able to clip it back on. You can always get a screw set and a small piece of hard plastic to make your own securing system.

So if you never drop your case (~2 feet), or get into a wreck, you won't have any problems.

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>