printing slow down - Canon i9900

After the installation of SP2, my Canon i9900 printer has started printing
significantly slower than before.
One of the features of this printer is that it spits out photos very
rapidly. The quality is remains the same, but the photos
seem to take 4 times as long to print. I have not gotten any error
messages, and have tried using various applications with the same result.

I mostly use Photoshop CS. I have 1.5 GB RAM and devote 75% to Photoshop. (I
have a Dell Dimension
8100, with a 1.5 GB processor, and the 'home version' of XP.) My drivers are
up to date. I keep my temporary files in another partition, which has
several gigabytes of memory available. My C drive also has 3 gigabytes
available, so I don't think the problem relates to temporary file space
requirements.

The size of the photo does not impact the speed. I've removed and
reinstalled the driver, and then updated it with the one which I believe is
most current. Printer spooling is on automatic, and the services panel has
nothing in it specific to Canon. I've checked
the printer's Properties function and saw no changes from the the time I
looked.

I called Canon, and they told me that they had not received reports of a
similar problem with this printer.
Is there some step I can take that I am missing? I have not yet gone
through the exercise of removing all of the Canon related
programs and cleaning out the registry, and re-installing. ( I just removed
and reinstalled the driver itself.)

As far as I can tell, I have had absolutely no problems with SP2. However,
that change was the only one that I have made after my last use of the
printer. The printer was connected to the USB port when I ran the upgrade
program, but was turned off. I installed SP2 by downloading the files and
executing the set-up locally.

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if there is some other service which needs to be
set to automatic, which was added by SP2. Or, whether this could be related
to my video card, which is a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400. The driver I'm using
there is the last one which I downloaded directly from Microsoft, since the
driver I used previously, from their website, interfered with my cordless
mouse.

Thank you!
Calliope
7 answers Last reply
More about printing slow canon i9900

    Try the 61.76 drivers from nVidia.
    www.coribright.com

    "Calliope" <calliope_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > After the installation of SP2, my Canon i9900 printer has started printing
    > significantly slower than before.
    > One of the features of this printer is that it spits out photos very
    > rapidly. The quality is remains the same, but the photos
    > seem to take 4 times as long to print. I have not gotten any error
    > messages, and have tried using various applications with the same result.
    >
    > I mostly use Photoshop CS. I have 1.5 GB RAM and devote 75% to Photoshop.
    > (I have a Dell Dimension
    > 8100, with a 1.5 GB processor, and the 'home version' of XP.) My drivers
    > are up to date. I keep my temporary files in another partition, which has
    > several gigabytes of memory available. My C drive also has 3 gigabytes
    > available, so I don't think the problem relates to temporary file space
    > requirements.
    >
    > The size of the photo does not impact the speed. I've removed and
    > reinstalled the driver, and then updated it with the one which I believe
    > is most current. Printer spooling is on automatic, and the services panel
    > has nothing in it specific to Canon. I've checked
    > the printer's Properties function and saw no changes from the the time I
    > looked.
    >
    > I called Canon, and they told me that they had not received reports of a
    > similar problem with this printer.
    > Is there some step I can take that I am missing? I have not yet gone
    > through the exercise of removing all of the Canon related
    > programs and cleaning out the registry, and re-installing. ( I just
    > removed and reinstalled the driver itself.)
    >
    > As far as I can tell, I have had absolutely no problems with SP2. However,
    > that change was the only one that I have made after my last use of the
    > printer. The printer was connected to the USB port when I ran the upgrade
    > program, but was turned off. I installed SP2 by downloading the files and
    > executing the set-up locally.
    >
    > Any thoughts? I'm wondering if there is some other service which needs to
    > be set to automatic, which was added by SP2. Or, whether this could be
    > related to my video card, which is a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400. The driver
    > I'm using there is the last one which I downloaded directly from
    > Microsoft, since the driver I used previously, from their website,
    > interfered with my cordless mouse.
    >
    > Thank you!
    > Calliope

    Did you possibly connect the i9900 via USB 2.0? After SP2 I noticed
    that the USB 2.0 Root Hub did not appear any more in Device Manager
    whereas all the other USB entries looked fine. (Note, however, that
    my i9900 did not even work on the low-speed USB port, and none my
    other USB devices worked either). I read thru
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873169
    and simply did an Update Driver on each of the first few USB entries
    in Device Manger and all was working properly again (and the USB 2.0
    Root Hub came back).

    I don't have any USB 2 ports on my PC. I have it connected with via a USB 1
    port. I wasn't sure whether you meant that
    the i9900 never worked on the USB1 ports, or whether that happened after the
    SP2 upgrade. My other devices on the USB ports
    (drawing tablet, cordless mouse, camera photo capturing etc) seem to be
    working fine.

    "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
    > Did you possibly connect the i9900 via USB 2.0? After SP2 I noticed that
    > the USB 2.0 Root Hub did not appear any more in Device Manager whereas all
    > the other USB entries looked fine. (Note, however, that my i9900 did not
    > even work on the low-speed USB port, and none my other USB devices worked
    > either). I read thru
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873169
    > and simply did an Update Driver on each of the first few USB entries in
    > Device Manger and all was working properly again (and the USB 2.0 Root Hub
    > came back).

    Before SP2 I had the i9900 working on the USB2 port, did not try the
    USB1. Then after SP2 the i9900 was not found when connected to either
    the USB2 or USB1, plus all other USB devices, except mouse, did not
    work - the Update Driver fixed everything. Looks like your problem is
    something else, but it might not hurt to try an Update Driver anyway.

    Calliope wrote:
    > I don't have any USB 2 ports on my PC. I have it connected with via
    > USB 1 port. I wasn't sure whether you meant that
    > the i9900 never worked on the USB1 ports, or whether that happened
    > after the SP2 upgrade. My other devices on the USB ports
    > (drawing tablet, cordless mouse, camera photo capturing etc) seem to
    > be working fine.
    >

    > "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
    >> Did you possibly connect the i9900 via USB 2.0? After SP2 I
    >> noticed
    >> that the USB 2.0 Root Hub did not appear any more in Device Manager
    >> whereas all the other USB entries looked fine. (Note, however,
    >> that
    >> my i9900 did not even work on the low-speed USB port, and none my
    >> other USB devices worked either). I read thru
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873169
    >> and simply did an Update Driver on each of the first few USB
    >> entries
    >> in Device Manger and all was working properly again (and the USB
    >> 2.0
    >> Root Hub came back).

    Thanks, Markeau.

    I did try updating the USB drivers, after reading your post, but there was
    no change to the printer.
    I timed a pic twice, and each time it was about 80 seconds, which is double
    the
    speed you see mentioned on the Canon webpage, so I'm at least now sure that
    I'm not losing
    my mind. If you see this, could you time printing a 4 by 6 color glossy
    photo and post the
    result?

    I tried my Epson scanner tonight and it worked fine.

    I heard back from Canon, and they said that while they had had reports of
    other issues after the SP2 update,
    print speed had not come up. They made a few suggestions but they were
    things I had already tried.
    I sent them some other info. I think I'm next going to see if anyone else on
    my apartment building floor
    (only 7 other tenants, and I know them all to some degree) has a PC with XP
    on it, w/o the upgrade, and
    see if they'll let me install the printer driver on it, to rule out a
    printer problem. I did try installing it on my 7 year old laptop, and
    printed a small sized photo from it, which also printed slowly, but my
    laptop has ME running on it which it wasn't totally compatible with, only
    96MG RAM and a 300 GiG chip. Plus, one of my cats knocked it off a table a
    few months ago and at the least, 70% of the keys no longer work lol. So, I
    don't know whether the comparison is meaningful.

    Calliope wrote:
    > Thanks, Markeau.
    >
    > I did try updating the USB drivers, after reading your post, but
    > there was no change to the printer.
    > I timed a pic twice, and each time it was about 80 seconds, which is
    > double the
    > speed you see mentioned on the Canon webpage, so I'm at least now
    > sure that I'm not losing
    > my mind. If you see this, could you time printing a 4 by 6 color
    > glossy photo and post the
    > result?

    The only time I printed 4x6 was with the supplied demo paper, and ran
    out of that a while back. I now print mainly 5x7 (which is closer to
    4:3 aspect ratio of my Canon S400 cam), each print takes about 75
    seconds post-SP2. I can't say that that is any slower than before. I
    also print 12x16, I should be printing some more of those in a few
    days - I was really surprised at how fast those would print pre-SP2.

    Is your printhead stopping between passes or is it a continuous
    back/forth print motion?

    > The only time I printed 4x6 was with the supplied demo paper, and ran
    > out of that a while back. I now print mainly 5x7 (which is closer to 4:3
    > aspect ratio of my Canon S400 cam), each print takes about 75 seconds
    > post-SP2. I can't say that that is any slower than before. I also print
    > 12x16, I should be printing some more of those in a few days - I was
    > really surprised at how fast those would print pre-SP2.
    >
    > Is your printhead stopping between passes or is it a continuous back/forth
    > print motion?

    I don't believe the printhead is stopping between passes.
    I've tried disabling/enabling the 'identify paper type' w/o noticing
    much difference.

    I'll time a 5 by 7. I've been printing on 4 by 6 while fiddling with this
    primarily to use less ink!

Canon Printers Windows XP