Athlon XP 1800

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wonder how high these babies will overclock. If you simply run them with 150 MHz FSB they'll be 1725 MHz chips, and if you do the same but with a multiplier of 12 you'll actually have an 1800 MHz chip.
If you guys think this CPU can get a 300 MHz overclock I'll buy one for my Epox 8K7A+. My guess is since they run on lower voltage I won't need a voltage mod for the power to reach 1800 MHz.
I'd still like to know what you guys think.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
would be interesting, considering they should run a fair bit cooler than the current tbirds whouldnt be too hard to overclock, maybe 1800 achievable with later batches of the 1800s

if in doubt blame microsoft...

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I have the money I'll get one of the new koolance rigs. And I heard the new chips use 20% less voltage so they produce less heat. Don't the MP Palamino's also use less voltage?

G

they will run at 1.4vcore instead of the 1.75vcore the tbirds run at.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
whole (well a lot of the) reason you need a newer mobo revision and bios to use the palomino is the lower voltage requirements.

Most mobos supply up to 1.85V without mods = 5.7% voltage increase for a t-bird. Supplying a palomino with 1.85V is a 32.1% increase - theoretically the same ratio as running t-bird at 2.3V!!!! That could kick a lot of Mhz, if you can control the temps!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

if I was to be getting a XP chip anytime soon I'd ignore it's lower voltage and bump it up anyway. No word on how well they will scale up but I see no reason not to push it's wattage back up to the temps of tbirds today for the sake of mhz since my cooling setup can handle more than a 100watt cpu.

G

If you are willing and can afford water cooling then go that route, but make you do a good job because there are water cooling setups out there that can't beat my air cooling (granted they are not as loud). If you want to stick with air for now the sk6 will do ok, mc462 better but we all know how much it costs. The newest alpha heatsink is as good as the mc462 and cheaper, you might want to check that out too.