Sign in with
Your question

Battlefield 3 on a laptop?

Last response: in Video Games
June 24, 2012 10:08:05 PM

So i recently got this new laptop for school next year (i'm going off to university) and I thought, hey maybe i could run a couple higher end games on this thing.

The basic specs are as such

ivy bridge i7 processor at 3.3GHz
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
256GB SSD
2TB HDD @7200RPM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650m with 1GB GDDR5

So, my question is first and foremost, Can I run Battlefield 3 and other such higher end games, like skyrim and Arkham City, to name a few?
Secondly (lets keep this one BF3 specific, shall we) what kind of settings, and subsequent FPS can i achieve?

Thanks a lot guys.

More about : battlefield laptop

June 24, 2012 10:20:25 PM

What laptop is this? You can run skyrim on high,buy not ultra. For BF3, you can tun it on high and get 32 fps. Ultra is too much for this graphics card. Same with Arkham city.

www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.ht... There are many benchmarks if you scroll down.

Also are you just overclocking a 2.3 ghz processer? I do not think they make a 3.3 ghz mobile i7. Overclocking is a bad idea for a laptop because it gets very hot.
June 24, 2012 10:38:44 PM

jimmy_dog said:
What laptop is this? You can run skyrim on high,buy not ultra. For BF3, you can tun it on high and get 32 fps. Ultra is too much for this graphics card. Same with Arkham city.

www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.ht... There are many benchmarks if you scroll down.

Also are you just overclocking a 2.3 ghz processer? I do not think they make a 3.3 ghz mobile i7. Overclocking is a bad idea for a laptop because it gets very hot.

Sorry I meant 2.3, just mistyped that.
Ironically enough apparently it goes up to 3.3 with "turbo boost" though I'm not familiar with what that means.
June 24, 2012 10:46:06 PM

Turbo boost is where intel processors will go faster if they need to. It is very similar to overclocking, but temporary and automatic. You won't see much of this on a laptop because it will only work if there is excess electricity and it is cool enough. The amount of electricity in a laptop is usually just enough for the parts to run and laptops have heat problems as it is.
Where are you buying this from and which model is it?
!