Aggro How do you know?

cmatt

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?

How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?

Thanks

cmatt wrote:
> I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
> quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
>
> How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?

This info is all for EQ1:

There's no special "agro indicator". Usually the mob will be facing
the person who has agro and will be beating on them. If you are
getting hit, then you know you have agro.

Another way to tell is to assist the mob. Target the mob in question
and type: /assist. Your target will switch to whoever has agro. This
is useful if the mob is not able to beat on someone because it's rooted
or mezzed.

Another way is to use one of the leadership skills. I think it's called
Health of Target's Target. If your leader has that skill, then you can
have an additional "target" window that will show the target of the
person you have targetted.

cmatt wrote:
> I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
> quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
>
> How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?
>
> Thanks

You're getting beat on. :) Seriously, if the mob is hitting you
with melee attacks, you're the one with aggro. (I qualify the
'melee' because you can still get hit with certain spell attacks and
not have aggro.)

Not real sure why people have to ask who has aggro though. It's
pretty obvious by watching the HP indicators of your group. The
one that's going down is the one with aggro.

Tracey

In <fm7b51pa5jgk22srtgjik2l68ongb4ch2k@4ax.com> cmatt <cmattl@bellsouth.net> writes:

> I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
> quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?

> How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?

There is no foolproof way to tell if you have aggro. There are some
obvious signals, for example if a monster is attacking you. But it
isn't always easy to tell.

For example, if you're exploring a twisty dungeon, a monster might
see you from across a pit, and immediately start running down a side
hallway because that's the only way to get to you. You have aggro,
but unless you happened to see the monster take off, you don't know
it, and you have no way of knowing until the monster arrives, probably
with five or six buddies that he picked up along the way.

Most monsters will make a certain sound or say something in chat
when they aggro. Make a habit of watching out for these signals.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

"cmatt" <cmattl@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
> quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
>
> How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?

Have a read through this, posted by a 70 warrior on our guild forums:

Elladon said:
Aggro breakdown

Aggro can be broken down into Hate + bonus

The hate portion is what you would commonly call aggro by itself, this is
the actual value of hate you have.
The bonus part, varies with a few things, like distance to mob, if you are
sitting or not etc. The closest person to the mob gets a bonus for proximity
more than others. (Low hp aggro is also a result from a huge (would say
almost infinite) bonus)

What this basically means is, you can have less hate than a caster who is
sitting far away, and more aggro - but - when they sit for example, their
bonus takes them over you're total aggro, and the mob makes a beeline for
them.

Taunt as a skill, puts you to the top of the hate list. Chaining taunt when
you have aggro already is pretty much futile, it does nothing if you are the
one at the top. However, periodically taunting can be a good thing, as this
makes sure that its not just bonus thats keeping the mob fixed on you.

Procs

Weapon procs are a key aspect of maintaining aggro.

Procs that generate good hate:
Anger - ~1200 hate (this is the daddy of procs, 650 hate + stun + debuff+
dd)
Enraging blow - 700 hate
Anger II / III - 600 hate
Chaotic strike line - 500 hate (this is a ballpark figure, the actual value
of stuns can be debated untill the end of time, but they are fixed - unless
they have special modifiers like some pally stuns - and indeed static blow
on fleshbiter)
Misc stuns, force shock, ykesha etc

Decent hate: (<stuns)
Ac debuffs
Snare

Bad hate : (should be avoided for aggro purposes)
DD's
DoT's

A proc does not have to land to generate aggro, it will do its job even if
resisted. (pure hate cannot be resisted) This includes stuns that are too
low to work on a mob. [out of interest, ykesha procs all have a resist mod
and stun to 65, chaotic strike procs all have -150 mr check and stun to lvl
70]

With DoN we found an alternative to doing LDoN for Anger / ykesha augs.
Enraging blow and chaotic strike are both very viable choices. There has
been much debate on which one to choose, but most agreee that it is personal
preference. CS is a bit less aggro, but has some dps and can stun casters.
EB is the highest aggro aug, and that in itself is enough for some.

Proc Rate

The rate at which you proc is dependant on the following:
Dex (up to 255, after this it does nothing)
Weapon affinity AA
Combat effects (high end mod)
Weapon innate mod (only affects the weapons innate proc)

The base proc rate for mainhand (with 255 dex but nothing else) is 2 ppm
With WA5 this goes up to 3ppm mainhand, 2ppm offhand
(This is an AVERAGE, you can proc 4 times in a row sometimes, but it
balances out)
These values do NOT change. They are fixed, (assuming none of the proc rate
modifiers mentioned change) and will stay fixed even if you are slowed /
hasted. What will change is your chance to proc PER SWING.

Note: proc rates are for EACH PROC
example: Copper hammer of striking auged with anger 3 mainhand
Sword of the bloodsworn with anger 2 offhand
no. of procs :
3 Force shock
3 Anger III
2 Planar stun
2 Anger II
=10ppm

Check order:
1) Weapon innate
2) Augment
3) Spell proc

If the weapon proc doesnt go off, it checks the aug, then spell proc.
(Spell procs are usually in the form of buffs - spirit of the leopard,
clicky on AHR gloves, symbol of the planesmaster, and in one case for
warriors - aura of runes disc)

Melee hate

Aggro does not end at procs. Melee hate is a substantial part of total hate.

Melee hate formula per swing: Damage+damage_bonus(mod1/mod2)

mod 1 : class speicific
mod 2 : aggro modifiers like Voice of thule, Echo of anger (takes highest
value)

Everytime you swing with the same weapon, you generate a fixed amount of
hate. It does not matter if the swing misses, hits for max, or min. ATK,
STR, Accuracy all have NO effect on melee hate. ALL that matters is the
weapon ratio

2 handers have a very good record of generating solid hate purely through
melee. The Blade of War was such a great weapon not for the innate EB, but
because it has a fantastic ratio pre EP.

2 handers generate good aggro for the start of a fight, but what tends to
happen is the superior proc rate (assuming proper procs in proportion to the
ratio) of a 1 hander setup surpasses the 2 hander over time. Streak procs
can make or break a 1 hander setup. (no procs, lose aggro, streak procs,
vast aggro) 2 handers dont have this problem, they generate pretty reliable
aggro.

Spells

A lot of spells have built in aggro reducers on them. This means that if
they are resisted, they generate more aggro than they would if they landed
(because the reduction was resisted with the spell).

Though not essential to warriors, it is worth noting this for shaman slow
etc. Also, until recently nukes generated fixed aggro regardless of damage,
but now they have a damage component.

--
Lief

<ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:

> "cmatt" <cmattl@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
> > quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
> >
> > How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?

^--- fly

v--- sledgehammer

Elladon said:
> [...]
> because it has a fantastic ratio pre EP.
>
> 2 handers generate good aggro for the start of a fight, but what tends to
> happen is the superior proc rate (assuming proper procs in proportion to the
> ratio) of a 1 hander setup surpasses the 2 hander over time. Streak procs
> can make or break a 1 hander setup. (no procs, lose aggro, streak procs,
> vast aggro) 2 handers dont have this problem, they generate pretty reliable
> aggro.
>

> Spells
>
> A lot of spells have built in aggro reducers on them. This means that if
> they are resisted, they generate more aggro than they would if they landed
> (because the reduction was resisted with the spell).
>
> Though not essential to warriors, it is worth noting this for shaman slow
> etc. Also, until recently nukes generated fixed aggro regardless of damage,

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <fm7b51pa5jgk22srtgjik2l68ongb4ch2k@4ax.com>,
cmattl@bellsouth.net says...
> I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
> quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
>
> How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?
>
> Thanks

The method of watching who the mob is facing, and watching who is taking
damage is generally the norm. But its highly unreliable, a slowed mob
that's missing a fair bit is tough to figure out that way. A caster mob
who has aggro on a melee, but pauses to cast a debuff or dot at a
distant foe is similiarly hard to discern.

/assist on the mob is better, but takes time away from your own
combat... and if the mob is targeted on the enchanter, and the enchanter
is targeted on a mezzed add... using /assist again to switch back is
obviously going end up potentially waking the add and and annoying the
enchanter, if not wiping the party. So you you need target the MA, and
then assist him to get back on target... its a pain.

If you have GoD, and you have leadship turned on, for 7 leadship points
you can purchase the Health of Targets Target ability. This gives
everyone in the group a foolproof method of seeing who has aggro.
Because when your targeted on the mob, the HoTT window shows what the
mob has targeted... and that is who 'has aggro'.

Unfortunatly its effectively level restricted to 50th level, because you
will not be able to collect 7 LXP AA points until you are over 50.

However, once you can get it, the HoTT ability is very much worth the
price. Along with a number of the other lxp aa abilities. And there is
no reason you can't start saving lxp now so that you can purchase it
shortly after dinging 50.

Anyone who's gotten used to working in groups with the "communication"
lxp/aa's (including delegate ma, hott, target health, spell
identification, buff inspection and even find path to pc) will tell you
they are worth every point.

In article <d347rk$95g$1@reader1.panix.com>,
John Gordon <gordon@panix.com> wrote:
>There is no foolproof way to tell if you have aggro.

aggro...

Tracey wrote:

> You're getting beat on. :) Seriously, if the mob is hitting you
> with melee attacks, you're the one with aggro. (I qualify the
> 'melee' because you can still get hit with certain spell attacks and
> not have aggro.)

I don't know how much ripostes you get hit with at 30, but at highter
levels, you can take a pretty good pounding on just the mob's ripostes
if you are in front of it..

> Not real sure why people have to ask who has aggro though. It's
> pretty obvious by watching the HP indicators of your group. The
> one that's going down is the one with aggro.
>
> Tracey

Short of HoTT (which removes all doubt), watching the HP indicators, and
seeing who is going down the quickest is a pretty foolproof method. Then
the question is either "What did I do to get agro?" or if you are the
main tank, "What do I have to f***in do to get agro?" Of course asking
this in group will lead to suggestions like putting your taunt key up.

A former warrior

In alt.games.everquest, John Gordon <gordon@panix.com> wrote:

>In <fm7b51pa5jgk22srtgjik2l68ongb4ch2k@4ax.com> cmatt <cmattl@bellsouth.net> writes:
>
>> I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
>> quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
>
>> How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?
>
>There is no foolproof way to tell if you have aggro. There are some
>obvious signals, for example if a monster is attacking you. But it
>isn't always easy to tell.

Health of Target's Target window GoD Leadership Ability is foolproof.

It shows you a target bar containing the target of the person or mob you
have targeted. So if you have a Gnoll targeted and it has Bob targeted
(i.e. Bob has aggro) then it shows Bob's health.

The best thing in the world since sliced bread for tanks, healers, and dps
people.

--
Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
GCv312 GCS d s+:++ a C+++ UAL++++$ P+ L++ E W(++) N+++(N--) w++$ R+ tv-- b++

"Faned" <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message
> <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:
> >
> > "cmatt" <cmattl@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
> > > quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
> > >
> > > How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?
>
> ^--- fly
>
> v--- sledgehammer

Oh, I didnt realise this post was limited to the OP's viewing, my mistake.

Besides everyone posted the simple stuff for him, this if here if he (or
anyone else), wants to know more.

Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in news:4255A1AD.9020401@aol.com:

> cmatt wrote:
>> I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
>> quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
>>
>> How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> You're getting beat on. :) Seriously, if the mob is hitting you
> with melee attacks, you're the one with aggro. (I qualify the
> 'melee' because you can still get hit with certain spell attacks and
> not have aggro.)
>
> Not real sure why people have to ask who has aggro though. It's
> pretty obvious by watching the HP indicators of your group. The
> one that's going down is the one with aggro.

And if none are going down noticably, then it is probably not important
who actually has agro. :b

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

One of Many <user@example.net> wrote in news:tTi5e.9421$PA4.7349
@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com:

> Tracey wrote:
>

>> You're getting beat on. :) Seriously, if the mob is hitting you
>> with melee attacks, you're the one with aggro. (I qualify the
>> 'melee' because you can still get hit with certain spell attacks and
>> not have aggro.)
>
> I don't know how much ripostes you get hit with at 30, but at highter
> levels, you can take a pretty good pounding on just the mob's ripostes
> if you are in front of it..

Yes, well, if you are not the MA, and barring there just being too many
people beating on it, such as in a raid, then you should not be on the
front of the mob anyway...

--

Tony Evans <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in

> In alt.games.everquest, John Gordon <gordon@panix.com> wrote:
>
>>In <fm7b51pa5jgk22srtgjik2l68ongb4ch2k@4ax.com> cmatt
>><cmattl@bellsouth.net> writes:
>>
>>> I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
>>> quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
>>
>>> How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?
>>
>>There is no foolproof way to tell if you have aggro. There are some
>>obvious signals, for example if a monster is attacking you. But it
>>isn't always easy to tell.
>
> Health of Target's Target window GoD Leadership Ability is foolproof.
>
> It shows you a target bar containing the target of the person or mob
> you have targeted. So if you have a Gnoll targeted and it has Bob
> targeted (i.e. Bob has aggro) then it shows Bob's health.
>
> The best thing in the world since sliced bread for tanks, healers, and
> dps people.

Well, it's not foolproof actually. A mob that is stunned does not switch
targets generally until unstunned for example. Mobs that are mezzed also
do not generally switch targets anymore (I believe they used to at one
point.)

--

"the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <d347rk$95g$1@reader1.panix.com>,
> John Gordon <gordon@panix.com> wrote:
> >There is no foolproof way to tell if you have aggro.

> aggro...

Definitely a foolproof indication. LOL!

Thanks to the OP for asking as I had wondered as well.

~Deborah~

Bristlebane Server:
Kentigern Fyrebear - Level 27 Barbarian/Shaman
Vaerity - Level 16 Gnome/Paladin
Nieriel - Level 8 High Elf/Cleric

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in news:4255A1AD.9020401@aol.com:
>

> > cmatt wrote:
> >> I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
> >> quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
> >>
> >> How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > You're getting beat on. :) Seriously, if the mob is hitting you
> > with melee attacks, you're the one with aggro. (I qualify the
> > 'melee' because you can still get hit with certain spell attacks and
> > not have aggro.)
> >
> > Not real sure why people have to ask who has aggro though. It's
> > pretty obvious by watching the HP indicators of your group. The
> > one that's going down is the one with aggro.
> >

> And if none are going down noticably, then it is probably not important
> who actually has agro. :b

That's actually one of the things that I hated about EQ1. In outdoor zones,
i hated sitting on my pony. I liked my wolf form, thank you. Without it, I
didn't feel very druid-ey, more like a bad cleric. As the later game was
entered I found that more and more I had to group (i loathed charming, and
thought that that belonged to enchanters anyway, although i have no problem
with some sort of calm animal spell).

I miss many things about eq1. The feeling of speed, the zones where wolf
form reduced aggro, kiting and root rotting and fishing while i killed
something, but i do not miss sitting aggro.

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:19:52 +0000, 42 wrote:

> In article <fm7b51pa5jgk22srtgjik2l68ongb4ch2k@4ax.com>,
> cmattl@bellsouth.net says...
>> I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see the
>> quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
>>
>> How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> /assist on the mob is better, but takes time away from your own
> combat... and if the mob is targeted on the enchanter, and the enchanter
> is targeted on a mezzed add... using /assist again to switch back is
> obviously going end up potentially waking the add and and annoying the
> enchanter, if not wiping the party. So you you need target the MA, and
> then assist him to get back on target... its a pain.

Assist is very good on raids with the mobs that aren't big enough to
merit a heal chain, but are mean enough to drop any non-tank quickly.
I tend to f8 and /assist to see who's got aggro repeatedly and throw
quick heals to any robe/healer that happens to take aggro =) Saving
other healers lives will save your own.

Kordaff Nobleheart
66 Cleric - Mithril Heart Brigade
Tribunal

In alt.games.everquest, Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>Tony Evans <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in

>> Health of Target's Target window GoD Leadership Ability is foolproof.

>Well, it's not foolproof actually. A mob that is stunned does not switch
>targets generally until unstunned for example. Mobs that are mezzed also
>do not generally switch targets anymore (I believe they used to at one
>point.)

<pedant>
A mob that is stunned or mezzed isn't hitting anyone, no one has aggro.
</pedant>

But yes, I take your point, if the mob is currently unable to 'think' then
there's no way of knowing who it has targetted.

--
Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
Recommended Author : David Gemmell

42 wrote:
> In article <fm7b51pa5jgk22srtgjik2l68ongb4ch2k@4ax.com>,
> cmattl@bellsouth.net says...
> > I am relativeely new to EQ (lvl 30 war) In groups I sometime see
the
> > quetiobn "Who has aggro? or Do you have aggro?
> >
> > How do you tell if you have aggro? What is the indicator?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> The method of watching who the mob is facing, and watching who is
taking
> damage is generally the norm. But its highly unreliable, a slowed mob

> that's missing a fair bit is tough to figure out that way. A caster
mob
> who has aggro on a melee, but pauses to cast a debuff or dot at a
> distant foe is similiarly hard to discern.

One other thing to do besides watching where the mob is facing is to
pay attention to your group's spell casting. For example, if the
Shaman announces that he is slowing the mob, that should be a warning
that the Shaman has begun casting the spell and is about to piss it
off.

> /assist on the mob is better, but takes time away from your own
> combat... and if the mob is targeted on the enchanter, and the
enchanter
> is targeted on a mezzed add... using /assist again to switch back is
> obviously going end up potentially waking the add and and annoying
the
> enchanter

No need to assist a second time to get back on the mob. Assist once if
you feel you need to check, then hit tab (or whatever you have it bound
to) to switch to your previous target.

> In alt.games.everquest, Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Tony Evans <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in
>
>>> Health of Target's Target window GoD Leadership Ability is
>>> foolproof.
>
>>Well, it's not foolproof actually. A mob that is stunned does not
>>switch targets generally until unstunned for example. Mobs that are
>>mezzed also do not generally switch targets anymore (I believe they
>>used to at one point.)
>
> <pedant>
> A mob that is stunned or mezzed isn't hitting anyone, no one has
> aggro. </pedant>
>
> But yes, I take your point, if the mob is currently unable to 'think'
> then there's no way of knowing who it has targetted.

Depends on what you mean by aggro. But then, you knew what I meant
anyway.