Windows Fax Server

Problem Description:

I have a Windows 2003 server that has Microsoft Fax
server installed. I have shared the fax server on our
network. This computer is a client of the Windows 2003
server and has the print driver installed in Printers and
Faxes. It indicates "Fax" on Pageserv the (Windows 2003
Server). I can successfully send a test print to the
Windows 2003 server through note pad.

When I use a fax utility to generate and send a fax that
bypasses the address book and wizard an error message
pops up in the event viewer as follows...

"
The outgoing routing rule is not valid because it cannot
find a valid device. The outgoing faxes that use this
rule will not be routed. Verify that the targeted device
or devices (if routed to a group of devices) is connected
and installed correctly, and turned on. If routed to a
group, verify that the group is configured correctly.
Country/region code: '*' Area code: '*'
"
and a second entry...

"
Fax Service failed to initialize any assigned fax devices
(virtual or TAPI). No faxes can be sent or received until
a fax device is installed.
"

This utility works if it is run on the Windows 2003
server. I do have one client station in our network that
will work with this utility. The only difference in the
boxes is the one that works has no internal modem. I
tried removing the modem from this box - same error
message.

Domain and User ID's are identical on the boxes (clients).

Please Help!

Operating system / version: Microsoft Windows XP
Professional-5.1.2600
Computer manufacturer and model: X86-based PC, Dell
Computer Corporation, Precision WorkStation 220
Processor model and speed: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping
3, 662(MHz)
Memory (RAM): 255.1640625 MB
2 answers Last reply
More about windows server

    I can't help with Windows 2003 Server Fax, but I can assure you that those
    who can will need a more complete and accurate description of how you
    installed and configured the client fax software.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Shayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Problem Description:
    >
    > I have a Windows 2003 server that has Microsoft Fax
    > server installed. I have shared the fax server on our
    > network. This computer is a client of the Windows 2003
    > server and has the print driver installed in Printers and
    > Faxes. It indicates "Fax" on Pageserv the (Windows 2003
    > Server). I can successfully send a test print to the
    > Windows 2003 server through note pad.
    >
    > When I use a fax utility to generate and send a fax that
    > bypasses the address book and wizard an error message
    > pops up in the event viewer as follows...
    >
    > "
    > The outgoing routing rule is not valid because it cannot
    > find a valid device. The outgoing faxes that use this
    > rule will not be routed. Verify that the targeted device
    > or devices (if routed to a group of devices) is connected
    > and installed correctly, and turned on. If routed to a
    > group, verify that the group is configured correctly.
    > Country/region code: '*' Area code: '*'
    > "
    > and a second entry...
    >
    > "
    > Fax Service failed to initialize any assigned fax devices
    > (virtual or TAPI). No faxes can be sent or received until
    > a fax device is installed.
    > "
    >
    > This utility works if it is run on the Windows 2003
    > server. I do have one client station in our network that
    > will work with this utility. The only difference in the
    > boxes is the one that works has no internal modem. I
    > tried removing the modem from this box - same error
    > message.
    >
    > Domain and User ID's are identical on the boxes (clients).
    >
    > Please Help!
    >
    > Operating system / version: Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional-5.1.2600
    > Computer manufacturer and model: X86-based PC, Dell
    > Computer Corporation, Precision WorkStation 220
    > Processor model and speed: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping
    > 3, 662(MHz)
    > Memory (RAM): 255.1640625 MB

  2. Right click to the Fax(local) on the Microsoft Fax Service Manage on the server and add the domain user the right to use....

Fax Windows Server 2003 Servers Windows XP