Help: Can't get shorewall to work in Mandrake 10

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.firewalls,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Hi,
I can't get shorewall (ver 2.0.0b) to run under Mandrake 10 (kernel )
community (updated from one of the mirrors for bug fixes).
I've a stand alone PC with two Ethernet cards with eth1 connected to an
ADSL "modem". I successfully connect running rp-pppoe. After modifying the
various shorwall configuration files, removing the and issueing the
shorewall start, it begings the process. Yet, before finishing it, I get
several identical messages saying: "/usr/share/shorewall/firewall: line
102: iptables: command not found". Afterwards, shorewall shuts down.
Although I followed the installation instructions indeed the
above-mentioned command is nor present where shorewalls looks after it.
I've heard that this might be to the new (2.6.x) kernel while shorewall is
configured for 2.4.x? Is it true?
How can I get shorewall to run on my PC?

TIA

Michael Badt

----------------------

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.firewalls,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 08:59:32 +0200
Michael Badt <mibadt@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I can't get shorewall (ver 2.0.0b) to run under Mandrake 10 (kernel )
> community (updated from one of the mirrors for bug fixes).
> I've a stand alone PC with two Ethernet cards with eth1 connected to an
> ADSL "modem". I successfully connect running rp-pppoe. After modifying the
> various shorwall configuration files, removing the and issueing the
> shorewall start, it begings the process. Yet, before finishing it, I get
> several identical messages saying: "/usr/share/shorewall/firewall: line
> 102: iptables: command not found". Afterwards, shorewall shuts down.
> Although I followed the installation instructions indeed the
> above-mentioned command is nor present where shorewalls looks after it.
> I've heard that this might be to the new (2.6.x) kernel while shorewall is
> configured for 2.4.x? Is it true?
> How can I get shorewall to run on my PC?

Sounds like you have to install iptables. This is a seperate package, not
included in the kernel. Make sure to get the latest Version.

Greets

Chris

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.firewalls,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Thnaks Chris !
Indeed iptables was not installed initially.
Installing it solved the problem

Regards

Michael