Dell printer

My color cartridge wasn't working right so the Dell woman
told me to wipe it with a damp cloth. Now, the power
light blinks and it won't communicate with the computer.
The booklet is no help. It doesn't mention the lights.

Well Barb, I scarcely know where to start. As a symptom of the printer
problem, you have written that the color cartridge does not communicate
with the printer. I know you did not mean that but nevertheless that is
the meaning I took from what you wrote. So, let's start at the
beginning.

What model of computer do you have (we do know it is a Dell)?

What is the make and model of the printer?

Do you know the source of the printer drivers that are installed? If so,
what is the source?

What is wrong with what the printer is doing that led to the call to
Dell?

Were there any error messages? If so, exactly what were they?

Now, as to the particular problem with the cartridge: Turn the computer
and printer off. Unplug the printer from the power. Remove the cartridge
from the printer. Wipe it carefully with a clean, dry cloth. Inspect it
for any damage. Reinsert it into the printer. For all of this, please
see the printer's instructions. Wait until you are sure the cartridge is
dry. Plug the printer in.

Please let us know.

Tom
MSMVP-DTS

"Barb" <blueeyes1199@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: My color cartridge wasn't working right so the Dell woman
: told me to wipe it with a damp cloth. Now, the power
: light blinks and it won't communicate with the computer.
: The booklet is no help. It doesn't mention the lights.

It's a Dell All-In-One A920. Bought the lap top and
printer together. The printer was working but the only
color I would get was a pale pink. Why did she say to
wipe it with a damp cloth? I'll leave it out over night
to dry completely and see what happens. It is not the
wires. The printer is "ready" but nothing happens. Thank
you, I'll try again tomorrow - it's too late now.

Hi;
If you never got anything from the printer except the pale pink, either
there is a problem with the cartridge or print head or the cartridge has
not been properly installed.

Check the instructions for installing the cartridge. There is usually a
"tare strip" that has to be removed before installing it. Examine the
cartridge to be sure the proper "thing" has been removed so that
unimpeded ink-flow is possible.

Also check the instructions for a "nozzle cleaning" function in either
the printer driver settings or a separate utility. Try using that.

Note that if this is the first time using the printer, it might take a
few minutes for the ink flow to be established. Try a few test pages.

Other than that, the printer might require servicing. Since it is a new
printer, call Dell and enquire. On the previous call, possibly the Dell
tech was making sure that there was proper electrical connection between
the printer head contacts and the contact strip on the cartridge.

Let us know.

Tom
MSMVP-DTS

"Barb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: It's a Dell All-In-One A920. Bought the lap top and
: printer together. The printer was working but the only
: color I would get was a pale pink. Why did she say to
: wipe it with a damp cloth? I'll leave it out over night
: to dry completely and see what happens. It is not the
: wires. The printer is "ready" but nothing happens. Thank
: you, I'll try again tomorrow - it's too late now.
: >Well Barb, I scarcely know where to start. As a symptom
: of the printer
: >problem, you have written that the color cartridge does
: not communicate
: >with the printer. I know you did not mean that but
: nevertheless that is
: >the meaning I took from what you wrote. So, let's start
: at the
: >beginning.
: >
: >
[...]
: >.
: >

Thomas Ferguson wrote:
> Well Barb, I scarcely know where to start. As a symptom of the printer
> problem, you have written that the color cartridge does not
> communicate with the printer. I know you did not mean that but
> nevertheless that is the meaning I took from what you wrote. So,
> let's start at the beginning.
>

> What model of computer do you have (we do know it is a Dell)?

Er no we don't. She has a Dell /printer/ (aka a rebodged Lexmark) - we
haven't a clue what make and model her computer is!

> What is the make and model of the printer?

The printer is a Dell - the model, well we'll have to wait for her to inform
us.

> Do you know the source of the printer drivers that are installed? If
> so, what is the source?

As it's a Dell printer, Dell's website would be the obvious source.

> What is wrong with what the printer is doing that led to the call to
> Dell?

"The colour cartridge wasn't working right"

> Were there any error messages? If so, exactly what were they?

It was probably informing her (either via the LEDs on the printer or the
status monitor (if it has one) that the cartridge was incorrectly fitted or
some such.

> Now, as to the particular problem with the cartridge: Turn the
> computer and printer off. Unplug the printer from the power. Remove
> the cartridge from the printer. Wipe it carefully with a clean, dry
> cloth.

That should be a clean, dry, /lint-free/ cloth, otherwise the problem will
just be exacerbated.

Inspect it for any damage. Reinsert it into the printer. For
> all of this, please see the printer's instructions. Wait until you
> are sure the cartridge is dry. Plug the printer in.
>
> Please let us know.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP-DTS

That help, Thomas?

lose his marbles?

:
: Er no we don't. She has a Dell /printer/ (aka a rebodged Lexmark) - we
: haven't a clue what make and model her computer is!
:
You are correct.

One should not answer questions so late in the evening/early in the
morning (take your pick)!

Fortunately, in this case, it does seem to be a printer-related problem
rather than host/computer related. We'll see how it goes. Perhaps Barb
will fill in computer details if she responds further. Perhaps the
computer is rebodged too. (;-))

Tom
MSMVP-DTS
PS
(bodge v. make a mess of)
I make the dangerous assumption that you meant rebadged rather than
rebodged. However, I salute you for an excellently unintentional error.)

:
: >
[...]
: --
: My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
: lose his marbles?
:
:
: