what's a good firewall?

INFO

I'm looking for a good (and free) firewall. Some say Zonealarm, some say
Sygate, some say both of them, of others.
I've Win98SE and have already zonealarm installed.
But is there a difference between firewall for internet or firewall for your
own PC-files? or is that the same?
And do firewalls automatically protect against hacking and spyware?
Thanx

---

"info" <mukea@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a good (and free) firewall. Some say Zonealarm, some say
> Sygate, some say both of them, of others.

Kerio 2.15 comes to mind.

> I've Win98SE and have already zonealarm installed.

> But is there a difference between firewall for internet or firewall for
your
> own PC-files? or is that the same?

No, they are not the same. Personal desktop solutions have a lot of bloat in
them in some attempt to protect you from yourself.

The link explains what a Internet network FW or in general a software FW is
suppose to be doing.

http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_is_a_firewall.html

> And do firewalls automatically protect against hacking and spyware?

Personal desktop FW's are not the stop and ends all solution and you must be
aware of what's happening on the machine.

You need other tools such as AD-aware, or Spybot both are free ran on a
routine basis to control malware. You can use the Host on the machine as a
prevention measure to control malware as well.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html

Also look into Active Ports free as well and look around for yourself from
time to time.

Duane :)

INFO

..

> Kerio 2.15 comes to mind.

for what? for internet or personal desktop?
what about sygate?

> No, they are not the same. Personal desktop solutions have a lot of bloat
in
> them in some attempt to protect you from yourself.
>
> The link explains what a Internet network FW or in general a software FW
is
> suppose to be doing.
>
> http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_is_a_firewall.html
>
> > And do firewalls automatically protect against hacking and spyware?
>
> Personal desktop FW's are not the stop and ends all solution and you must
be
> aware of what's happening on the machine.
>
> You need other tools such as AD-aware, or Spybot both are free ran on a
> routine basis to control malware. You can use the Host on the machine as a
> prevention measure to control malware as well.
>
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html
>
> Also look into Active Ports free as well and look around for yourself from
> time to time.
>
> Duane :)

---

> .
> >
> > Kerio 2.15 comes to mind.
>
> for what? for internet or personal desktop?
> what about sygate?

Kerio is a free desktop solution.

As for which one, they both have trialware that you can try.

The choosing of a FW should be based on what *you* understand on how to
make it work and the ease in which you did it.

I suggest you try each one and pick the one that best meets your needs.

Duane :)

jakeBauer

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

If your running 98se or XP get Blackice defender it was one of the best IDS/IPS firewalls of its day.