AMD 1.4 Heating problems

G

A freind of mine has just recently built me a new computer..with a Abit KG7-Lite mother board and AMD Athalon 1.4Ghz CPU...hes gone on holiday for a month...after building it for me....ive had some problems...with it...

the CPU was reaching temperatures of 52 and 53 degrees..i thought there was a problem with the fan???..so i looked through the KG7-Lite manual...and i noticed it states...
supports AMD Athalon 700MHz-1.33GHz...?? and my processors..1.4 GHz???the bios,,gives me the apportunity to take it to 1.4Ghz..but im worried that its going to make the motherboeard work over..can any one help?? am i safe in using it...the problem is, is that everywhere @ the computer fair..where i got the motherboard from state that..it can be used with 1.4GHz.....can anyone help.......

secondly ive visited a few web sites giving different tempreture reading that the cpu is safe at.......does anybody know what is a safe temperature??? some say 50..and others go as far as 70-80 degrees??? (all confusing)...when my computer reached 52 - 53 degrees...and ive turned it off and rebooted it..it sometime wants to start in safe mode,,and other times comes up with the following error...
during booting up:
after saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data" it says
"Boot From Atapi CDRom: Disk Boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"...........
this is a often accurrance..and after leaving the computer off for a while..and then putting it on again..it starts as normal.......do you think the system is getteing to hot???

Ive moved my tower around a bit..and taken 1 side of the case off.....and now the temperatures gone down to...44 degrees for the CPu and 35 for the system temp...

one finel problem is that somebodies told me that abit motherboards...(i have 6 slots) that i wouldnt be able to use all of them..and after some fiddling around with my Voodoo Tv card (3dfx) i can use slot..1 for sound..slot 4 for tv card and slot 5 for the modem..and the rest seem as if they dont want to play???this chap told me,,this is coz..the other slots are used by the motherboard for something else (sound unusual..but then hey!! i'm not exactly a computer freek...) im just concerned i ve spent alot of money..and it all seems to be going wrong... and i can really appreaciate..now, if i hear that other computer bods are having hard ware trouble...with fans etc...you spend the money and expect it to work???

I'll stop raviting on..and i hope some cam help......seems folks on this site lnow what theyre on about..and too many thanks to the site admin..carry on the good work

thanks...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok here goes:
unfortunately you didnt say weather the problems all went away with the case open- so ignoreing that:

The board is fine for a 1.4
Temp is ok as long as you arnt experiencing lockups
Change the bios to not boot from cd (some boards are VERY annoying and will give an error and stop rather than checking the next boot device- not used this board so dont know if this is the case here but taking cd out of boot sequence will sort that.
Regarding the pci slits, the only problem that you MIGHT come accross is a card installed in the slot next to the agp- these tend to share an irq, however unless you have enough cards to fill all slots, its a good idea to leave the top slot free anyway as vid cards tend to get hot so a space there is ideal to aid cooling a bit.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

Hello, if this was my computer I would worry about CPU temp. over 125 degrees F' ,mine runs about 105 F,.
a couple things to check, what do you have between the Heatsink and CPU ? ,thermal grease is the only way togo(apply a paper thin layer),dont use a thermal Pad.
next you said your temp. went down when you left the case open , this seems pretty clear your not venting the inside of the case properly,,,it wont be affective if you cant get rid of the the hot air coming off the CPU heatsink.. for an ATHLON 1.4 you at least need two case fans minumum....most cases have a spot in the front for a fan ,if you dont have another spot for the second fan,you can make one..one fan to suck in ,the other to push out,,,,also if the inside case temp. is high and you have passive cooling on your video card it can cause all kinds of video cards overheating....

about the PCI slot problem ,not enough info .if you have loaded Modem drivers or something similar and then tried to use another device in that same slot can cause problems ,be sure to clear out everything left of an old driver.i heard 2 of the Abit PCI slots werent 2.1 PCI ,# 5 & 6...
one last thought , its possible to put a card in your PCI slot right next to the Video card (with poor case air flow.)and make the air flow even worst..anyway this could lead to many video problems ,drivers and boot ups.......good luck

G

well, its been a few days since you posted, but if you are still watching...

52 or 53 degrees is nothing to be concerned. That is VERY normal for a stock cooled system with an Athy 14.

I am running the same thing (except mine is KG7-Raid which doesn't matter for this discussion)

You will see about a 10 to 15 degree rise above system temp on the CPU with adequate heat sinking. If you get close to 60C, you are looking at possible instability, but still won't hurt your CPU.

The PCI slots are kinda wierd on this MoBo. The manual does recommend avoiding slot 5 because it shares an interrupt with the HighPoint HPT370 ultra DMA controller, However, this is only on the Raid version!

I only have a couple cards (sound and network) so I just experimented with different slots for each to minimize how many IRQs were shared on the posting screen (the one that comes up when the machine is booting)

Bottom line, you are not too hot and if your system is running ok, then the shared IRQs are being handled correctly by windows... don't worry

the safe mode thingy...... are you using the start button to select shutdown and letting the machine shut itself down or are you just turning it off (which will bring you to safe mode the next boot every time)

Good Luck

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
50-53 is fine, my viahardware monitor will warn me if i hit 60. my sys (kg7 standard) had problems where it wouldn't get to bios so i sent it back to mwave and they sent it back with a copperbased/aluminum hsf which brought the temp down from 55c to 46c with case closed so i'm probably running 50c under load.

TRENDING THREADS