Shared Printer Woes

I'm running XP Pro on my main PC at home. I have two printers on this
machine. We have two other computers on the home network, running XP
Home that use the two printers with no problem. One of these PCs is my
daughter's new Winbook laptop. When I set her up to use the two shared
printers, everything worked fine.

She went off to school two weeks ago, and I can't get her computer to
"see" her roommate's printer. Her roommate's machine is also XP Home,
and I went to the Printer group and set her printer to be shared.
Evidently, this worked, since the printer now has the cupped hand at the
bottom.

I then went to my daughter's PC and tried to add the printer in the
format \\RoommatePC\SharedPrinterName, but the printer was not found. I
blanked out the field and did a browse of the network. I found the
roommate's PC, but the printer did not show up underneath it, which
tells me that there is nothing to be shared on that machine. I went
back to the roommate's PC, and indeed the printer is marked as shared.

Why can't we connect to, or even "see" that printer?

Both PCs need to be in the same Workgroup.
www.coribright.com

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:

> Both PCs need to be in the same Workgroup.

Cari,

Thanks for the response, but it still does not work. The roommate's
computer is in the MSHOME workgroup and my daughter's was in the
WORKGROUP workgroup. I changed her to be HSHOME also, then rebooted.
I then tried to add the printer as \\RoommatePC\RoommatePrinter, but it
was not found. I browsed the network and found her roommate's PC, but
it still does not show anything shared under it. I double checked the
printer and it does show as shared.

Also, when she was home, her computer was in a different workgroup than
mine and she could still connect to my printers fine.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Try added the printer as per Bruce's article:

You may also find out that RoomMatePrinter is too long..... try 13 or less
characters.

> Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
>
>> Both PCs need to be in the same Workgroup.
>
> Cari,
>
> Thanks for the response, but it still does not work. The roommate's
> computer is in the MSHOME workgroup and my daughter's was in the WORKGROUP
> workgroup. I changed her to be HSHOME also, then rebooted.
> I then tried to add the printer as \\RoommatePC\RoommatePrinter, but it
> was not found. I browsed the network and found her roommate's PC, but it
> still does not show anything shared under it. I double checked the
> printer and it does show as shared.
>
> Also, when she was home, her computer was in a different workgroup than
> mine and she could still connect to my printers fine.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks

Thanks for the tip, but I'll keep searching for a way to make this work
without having to resort to using printui.dll. I can't believe you have
to jump through that hoop to get a printer to be shared. Also, the
article quoted below has to do with adding a network printer on a
machine with multiple users. In this case, the roommate is the only
user of the machine, i.e. doesn't go through the user logon when booting.

BTW, I was just using the "RoomMatePrinter" as an example. The real
printer address is \\Crystal\DellAIOP

Thanks