Good enough for crysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Hi there.

Is my system "good" enough to play crysis with all the eye candy turned up @ 1600x900??

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.42GHz
Mobo: XFX 780i 3-way SLI
GPU: XFX GTX285 1GB GDDR3 512-bit
RAM: X2 2GB DDR2 800MHz
PSU: 650w toughpower (thermaltake)

I can run GTA IV at about 23fps fully maxed out which is not too good but playable. And considering GTA IV is so poorly coded and Crysis is coded very well leaves me to believe it will run better??

Please reply quickly

Thanks

Solution

The noise could be coil whine from either the GPU or PSU. That can happen when you stress those components. There isn't much you can do about it, though it isn't necessarily a sign that either is failing. As long as your system isn't shutting down while playing, and you aren't seeing artifacts on screen while playing, you should be okay.
You should be okay to turn everything on to very high with that card at your resolution. You may have to play without AA though to keep your framerate above 30FPS. The 285 is one tier below the 6870, so it's not quite as fast, but the lower resolution should let you maintain playable framerates with everything set to very high. I doubt you'll be able to use AA though.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Thanks. I dont mind if its not ultra settings, just resonably good quality. maybe some settings high some medium. Also another question, is my GPU failing? because when gta iv is loading my gpu makes a strange high pitch noise. or is that my PSU?

Thanks again

The noise could be coil whine from either the GPU or PSU. That can happen when you stress those components. There isn't much you can do about it, though it isn't necessarily a sign that either is failing. As long as your system isn't shutting down while playing, and you aren't seeing artifacts on screen while playing, you should be okay.

Solution

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

I do get the odd "driver stopped responding and has recovered" then sometimes a BSOD. But thats the NVLDDMKM.SYS BSOD. Ohwell im thinking of upgrading the GPU to Radeon soon. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.