Major Heat Problem - Need Advice

eduboys

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hi,

I have an athlon 900 mhz thunderbird and just realized i am having major issues. I looked at the Asus probe and have the chip running at 67C for almost a year no actually. there have been periods where its been fine, and periods where it freezes ALL the time. I initially thought i might have a motherboard problem, and i actually just bought a new one because I wanted to upgrade regardless. Anyhow in a couple of days I will have a MSI board based off of the kt266a chipset, and I'm guessing i should buy a new heatsink to get the chip temperature way down. Please give me some suggestions for what to do about this problem. I bought the PC from Cyberpowerpc, and i'm just looking for some help.. it always freezes when I do anything that strains the CPU. I'm looking to spend no more than 50 bucks... please advise and list prices and retailers if possible.

Eric

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I never trust the motherboard sensors. That's why I bought a Compunurse. That way, I can put the probe right next to the core, and place the LED display somewhere, and always know how hot I'm running.

Anyways, even though I don't have it yet, I would recommend the MCX370-0A. It's easy to install, and you don't have to worry about having too much pressure. Plus, the performance is great. It's $39 at <A HREF="http://www.bzboyz.com/store/product471.html" target="_new">bzboyz.com</A>. Oh shoot! It's $37.75 now? Sweet...

Anyways, I mention this one because I have the MC370-0A - it's older version. It's still performs very well.

BTW, I have an Athlon 850.

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek:

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
I got my MCX370-0A from site mentioned above.
It is important NOT to use thermal paste that cames with it.
It's terrible, with it MCX is no different than stock HSF
(I know because I tried both).
But, MCX+ArcticSilver2 ROCKS!!! (TBird 1.2@1.4 at 26C over
room temp, full load, running seti@home).
So to make long story short, to get max from ANY HSF, you
must get ArcticSilver, otherwise you're trowing your
money away.

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

G

67 degrees C does seem high for a 900Mhz Athlon! I was having trouble with My 1400Mhz T'Bird running at 75 runnign a Taisol standard HS+F. I was told that the standard gel that comes on the base of the HS was more of a termal insulator than a conductor! so if you have either a Pink/green gel on the base, scrape it off and use a slug of Artic Silver instead!

The only trouble of being punctual is there is nobody there to appricate it!!!!

eduboys

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just hooked up a new heatsink (dragon orb 3) - thats the best heatsink they had - the guy at the store was extremely nice, and actually replaced everything for me - took off the old thermal paste put some new stuff on, hooked everything up - i put in a new case fan as well and the temperature dropped 20 degrees celsius!!!!! i used one of the programs to put a full load on the cpu, and it hasn't crashed after being on over an hour. I am soooo happy i finall got my machine to be more stable - thanks for the advice - under max load the highest is gotten is 49C now

Eric