Sign in with
Your question

Shader model problem with new GPU

Last response: in Video Games
June 27, 2012 3:47:34 AM

I have a Radeon HD 6950 2gb and i'm pretty sure this card supports DX 11 and shader model 5.0
After getting a beta key for CS:GO I got an error message each time I tried to load the game saying I needed shader model at least 2.0 or 3.0 (i forget which exactly). I waited a few weeks for the amd drivers and after installing, I had the same problem.

Just recently I installed a new steam game (war inc. battlezone) and i'm getting the error message: you must have at least shader model 2.0 to run this game

Why am I getting this error? This computer isn't even 6 months old. I'm this || close to returning it and getting a nvidia 560 Ti or something.
June 27, 2012 3:51:28 AM

That is strange. It could be that you don't have the correct version of DirectX installed for those games, and that is causing it to think you don't have Shader 3 support. Try and Google a download for DirectX 9.0c and install it, see if that helps.
m
l
June 27, 2012 4:15:32 AM

yes your card is dx11 and it does support sm2 my guess is your driver install faulted at some point. open control panel/system/device manager and see if you have a yellow or red error marker. if you find 1 then uninstall the driver and install new 1s. you may have to run a reg cleaner between installs. always reboot after cleaning the registry.

m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2012 4:29:31 AM

Supernova1138 said:
That is strange. It could be that you don't have the correct version of DirectX installed for those games, and that is causing it to think you don't have Shader 3 support. Try and Google a download for DirectX 9.0c and install it, see if that helps.

installed it, did nothing.

Bump.
m
l
June 27, 2012 4:29:53 AM

HEXiT said:
yes your card is dx11 and it does support sm2 my guess is your driver install faulted at some point. open control panel/system/device manager and see if you have a yellow or red error marker. if you find 1 then uninstall the driver and install new 1s. you may have to run a reg cleaner between installs. always reboot after cleaning the registry.

There are no yellow or red error markers.

Bump.
m
l
June 27, 2012 1:23:53 PM

what's your full system specs? check that you installed latest chipset drivers for your mobo.
m
l
June 27, 2012 4:59:32 PM

install the latest direct x redistributable june 2010 it maybe yours is out of date or incomplete. not having the rite version will cause a shader model error. 1s dun run dxdiag and see if it comes back clean.
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:44:10 PM

AntiZig said:
what's your full system specs? check that you installed latest chipset drivers for your mobo.

i5 2500k, p8z68vlx, 6950 2gb, win 7 professional, 8 gig ddr3, etc. I have the latest mobo drivers installed.

Still not working, please help.
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:45:48 PM

HEXiT said:
install the latest direct x redistributable june 2010 it maybe yours is out of date or incomplete. not having the rite version will cause a shader model error. 1s dun run dxdiag and see if it comes back clean.

I ran dxdiag and every step reported "no problems found".

When you mean the direct x redistributable june 2010, do you mean the directx 9.0c June? I did that last night when someone mentioned it earlier, didn't work.

Please help, bump.
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:47:08 PM

I just don't understand how this can happen to a brand new card/system. Should have stuck with my gut-shot for getting an nvidia.
m
l
June 27, 2012 7:07:46 PM

I can only suggest, that you run driversweeper to clean out the old drivers and try to install them again. If you are still having problems, then I would say you have a defective card, or some kind of weird hardware compatiblity issue, if this is a hardware issue.

Does the card run any games at all? Or are your problems related only to CS:GO and War Inc: Battlezone? If the problem is related to only those two games, then I would say it's an issue with those games. Maybe you should try verifying your game cache for those titles and see if it will help. Could be something from those games didn't install properly.
m
l
June 28, 2012 4:15:50 AM

Supernova1138 said:
I can only suggest, that you run driversweeper to clean out the old drivers and try to install them again. If you are still having problems, then I would say you have a defective card, or some kind of weird hardware compatiblity issue, if this is a hardware issue.

Does the card run any games at all? Or are your problems related only to CS:GO and War Inc: Battlezone? If the problem is related to only those two games, then I would say it's an issue with those games. Maybe you should try verifying your game cache for those titles and see if it will help. Could be something from those games didn't install properly.

I appreciate the suggestion but it's not the drivers. I've reinstalled them numerous times. I am able to play other steam games and they run excellently. I don't play too many games but I do want to try out games that this rig can handle but i've been let down twice already.
m
l
June 28, 2012 5:51:10 AM

my guess is that its a compatability issue then... email the game devs and pass on your problem... chances are they will have a better idea or even a fix...
dont be shy, they wont laugh at you or scoff. if its a genuine issue they will be very helpful.
i had compatibility issues with the bad company 2 alpha i gave my system specs. they asked for a complete dxdiag and it turned out that dxdiag was fault free but they hadnt listed my card as supported so it was seen but showed up as unrecognized hardware and my system failed the compatibility test.
yeah the card has been out a while now so theres no real excuse for it, but hey you never know... sum1 could have been asleep when they were testing hardware.

also go to the motherboard manufacturers site and see if theres a forum that has faq's or similar issues.
m
l
!