intel pII 350

G

I want to get my Pentium II 350 Mhz with 100 Mhz as FSB to 392 Mhz around 400 Mhz but I don't know whether the multiplier is locked or not. Currently my clock speed is 350 Mhz, 3.5x multiply with 100 Mhz. I want to get it running around 400Mhz by

a) 4.0x multiply with 100 Mhz (change multiplier)
OR
b) 3.5x multiply with 133.Mhz (change FSB)

I am using Asus P2B motherboard. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by taikin on 10/18/01 11:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu can try for 466 at 133FSB. YOu should raise your core voltage by .1v for stability, make sure your using PC133 SDRAM, and make sure your AGP is set at 2/3 the bus speed and the PCI at 1/4 the bus speed (these are the lowest dividers). One thing to watch out for is the video card-many earlier cards couldn't take the 89MHz AGP bus speed that results.

Back to you Tom...

G

I am using PC100 SDRAM beacuse Asus P2B doesnt support PC133 SDRAM so I guess I can't change my FSB to 133 Mhz. The second choice is however to get to 400 Mhz
is changing the FSB to 112 Mhz. Must I set my AGP and PCI according to the bus speed? How do I know whether my multiplier is locked or not?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
GET SOME NEW MEMORY WHILE IT'S CHEAP! PC133! There is absolutely NO DFFERENCE between PC133 and PC100 EXCEPT the maximum clock speed it will tolerate. In fact I just put 128MB of PC133 on an OLD Socket 7 TX motherboard (66MHz max bus). Look in the memory forum if you have doubts.
Now there is an awfull lot of cheap memory out there that may not work simply becuase it's poorly made. I recommend Crucial. You should be able to get all the memory you need from their website for $20-$40. Get PC133 Cas2 and we'll talk. If you don't know what Cas2 means, again look in the Memory forum.

Back to you Tom...

darkmatter

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2001
I've got my PII 350 at 467 (465.5) on an OZZO???? mobo and very generic RAM in three banks. Wouldn't run Windows when the OS was on a Maxtor HDD. But I put the OS on a WD HDD and it runs very stable. (It does crash occasionaly under high stress software 3D rendering in Quake). I think all of these PII CPU's are locked, regardless of mobo/BIOS. There is a device you attach to the riser to unlock the multiplier but even if you can find one these days it's probably cheaper to buy a new cpu. I think the secret to OC'ing is luck!

G

alright i will get myself a PC 133 SDRAM. one thing i need to ask here...
if i change the FSB from 100 to 112 ..
will it bring any big effects to my pci, agp and ram?

G

u ask me to get PC 133 SDRAM so that i could get my processor running at 466?

G

my motherboard can get the FSB to 133 but it's not in BIOS.
i have to play around with the jumpers.

G

so I guess I HAVE to get the PC 133 SDRAM before I change the core voltage and the FSB to 133. Oh yea..will the current PC 100 SDRAM be able to support 133 FSB?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, you can TRY to operate PC100 at 133, but I doubt it will be stable, and it might not even finish booting before it errors out.
There is no "minimum" speed for memory, only maximum. It has to do with the number of nanoseconds it takes for the computer to complete one cycle.

Back to you Tom...

G

alright.just think of this. if i change my FSB to 112 Mhz and i am using pc 100 SDRAM, will my pc show better perfomance?as i read that even tho i change the FSB to 112 or 133, it is still 100 Mhz for FSB because the ram i am using is PC 100.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you set it to 112FSB, everything that ran at 100 will run at 112, including the memory. IN fact every single part of the system will run 12% faster. It will probably work and give you a 12% performance gain in most applications.

Back to you Tom...

G

alright thanks anyway..i will try with 112 FSB
and go on go to get PC 133 SDRAM to get it to 133 Mhz FSB..
oh yeah. my motherboard supports Slot 1 processor, is there any slot 1 pentium III out there?or i have to get the adapter to install pentium III?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The cheapest PIII 700 on Pricewatch is Slot 1. The "new" form factor is called SECC2 (the old one was called "SECC"). They are compatable but will require a new heatsink, because they no longer have a heat speader plate on that side like the old SECC processors. As stated, the PIII 700 is your best value in an overclockable chip, because they reach 933 with a 133FSB quite easily. There is a significant performance increase found in the 133FSB do to faster CPU to memory transfers. You should raise the core voltage on the 700 to 1.75v for stability (from either 1.65v or 1.70v depending on when it was produced).

Back to you Tom...

G

is it possible to get a PIII 700 socket but i use an adapter to convert it.I live in Malaysia and i am not sure whether the local shops here sell the PIII 700 slot 1

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. The best "Slotkets" have adjustable voltage control, such as the Abit Slotket III. But any well made Slotket should do since I'm fairly sure you can adjust your voltage manually on your motherboard itself (or in BIOS).

Back to you Tom...

G

alright thankss...i try changing to 112 ..
for fun..then get pc 133 SDRAM to get it running at 466 and raise the core voltage by 0.1v..hehehehe..oh yeah will the plastic of my pII melt and is the current fan sufficent to handle the heat generated at 466 mhz using 133 FSB mhz?

G

haha yea..a plan..
oh yeah will the plastic of my pII melt and is the current fan sufficent to handle the heat generated at 466 mhz using 133 FSB mhz?