SP2 Renders Picture and Fax Viewer useless

The installation of Microsft Windows SP2 (for XP Pro)
rendered the application "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"
virtually useless. The application displays a picture
(.jpeg) with correct colors, however, when printing from
this application, the picture is extremely dark (almost
purely black).
I use an Epson R300 Photo Printer (driver current). I've
contacted Epson regarding this matter. They replied "There
are known issues when printing from Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer after installation of SP2. Printing photos from
another application will resolve this problem." After
spending $50 on Adobe Photoalbum, they were correct. All
photos print properly.
I appreciate Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in it's ease-
of-use. Please inform of any solutions.

I am having the same problem with an Epson 2200. This is
critical to me because I use 16 bit Tif files for
printing ans few products will print them 13" x 40"