Sign in with
Your question

asus gf3 overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
October 18, 2001 3:01:04 PM

im planning on overclocking the elsa geforce 3 im getting on saturday quite nicely, im having a 43 cfm fan sucking air awaw from it which i imagine can help (both the ram and gpu sinks) how far do you expect it will go... im hoping for at least 240 core 560 ram, does that seam reasonable, itll be in a lian li case (very good aluminium case) with around 140cfm going through it, an 1800+ xp once hdd and a dvd rom drive, no floppy nothing redundant...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

More about : asus gf3 overclock

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2001 10:34:45 PM

I put the little slot cooler by by card too. It blows a fair amount of heat out. Anyway, without messing with the voltages and PCI bus not overclocked I could only go to 207/471 However, I'm sure with a voltage bump it'll do a bit better than that. Unfortunately I would have to run the ASUS tweak utility to raise the voltages on the card, but when I use the ASUS drivers (12.90) I loose nearly 1000 3DMark2001 points (7140 on detonatorXP (21.83) 6970 on ASUS (12.90)) So it all seemed a little self-defeating.

Maybe I'll poke around a little bit with RivaTuner or something...

How are you tweaking and what drivers are you gonna be running?
October 19, 2001 8:21:18 AM

umm..i think that having a fan SUCK the air away from the gpu fan might be a bit detramental....it will cause a "vacuum" around the video card, and cause overheating...
you would have to make sure that some cold air would be able to flow over it also...like another fan blowing onto it from the outside...like the card cooler that was suggested...
but what might be better is to have the fan blowing towards the card...just to push some cooler air onto it..
and btw...where is that fan mounted?
considering that you have that much air flowing thru the case, i would say that you probably cut a hole in the side of that nice lian li case...
if you did...blow the air IN, and have an exhaust fan on the back of the case somewhere...
unless there is already one...
i think that you will get more of a dircet cooling effect if the fan is blowing in towards the card...it sure helped on my computer...and cutting that 80mm hole in the side of my case was probably the best stability enhancing thing i have done to this aged monster of a computer of mine...
i dont know...try it both ways...find out which direction drops the temps the most, but i think that blowing on, rather than vacuuming off will cause greater heat dissipation...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 20, 2001 2:59:31 AM

the slot coolers really dont move all that much air, the 42cfm number they advertise is bogus. mine overlaps about half of the hsf on the video card. If it blew on the card all that heat would be rejected into the case and up goes system temp. Due to the proximity of the hsf to the video card, it would take one super dooper fan to starve it. the idea is for the slot cooler to draw cooler air from the front lower intake fan on the case over the heat sinks of the video card and out the back. They're actually pretty effective if you have a decent fresh air flow from front lower.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2001 5:55:21 AM

i have a visiontek gf3 with out of box clocks at 240/500 and im now at 265/555 and its runnen great i get core over 265 though and it gets unstable but im still bumping up ram a few at a time every time i get on and game for a while using unreal engine games to test it out. so far so good
October 22, 2001 7:59:35 PM

look, the nice thing about G3 cards is that they run everything in decent FPS, so no real OCing is needed, unless you want to get a high 3Dmark score after which you will reurn the clock rate to normal.

btw did u play SG?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
October 22, 2001 8:30:37 PM

there is that, it runs wolfenstein mp at 2048x1536 everything maxed out at a frame rate i cant see, beautiful, i ended up with the elsa though

October 22, 2001 8:32:14 PM

the fan is sucking A LOT of air out, all i ended up doing is swapping the direction the fan on the graphics card blows so both suck air off it, works beautifully

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 22, 2001 9:43:49 PM

Thats a good idea. Your post made me curious enough to load the ASUS (yuk!) drivers and SmartDocotr long enough to watch the GPU and RAM temps.

With no slot fan, I was nearly 10 degrees (C) hotter than with it exhausting from the card. I also noticed a 3 degree (C) rise in case temp. (I'm not all that well ventilated) 2 degree rise in CPU temp. (This was comparing before and after about a one hour TFC session

Do you happen to know what your temps were before the change?

One last question, how did you reverse air flow direction of the two fans?

Thx for the update!
October 23, 2001 1:27:22 AM

switch the wires around, or flip the fan...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2001 3:16:01 AM

Your videocard runs off the 3.3 volt line on the motherboard. You can raise the voltage to the card by raising the I/O voltage to 3.6,3.7 max. This can also help with memory instability problems.

I aint signing nothing!!!
October 23, 2001 7:04:58 AM

the fans got a little connecter ont the graphics card, swap the poles, simple

October 23, 2001 11:55:23 AM

i atacked a blue orb on my psb, btw i got a sweet black psb on my elsa gladiac 920, dont ask how many atamots it took to make the damn heavy thing to stick..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
!