LinkSys router works when I restart Zone Alarm

Tags:
  • Firewalls
  • Routers
  • Linksys
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
April 5, 2004 2:42:21 PM

I have a linksys 4-port dsl router and the free version of zone
alarm...here's my issue...

When first booting my computer (win 2000) I can neither access the router or
the internet, so I shutdown zone alarm and everything works fine. I then
restart zone alarm and everything continues to work.

I tried changing the "zone" for my network card in zone alarm to "trusted"
and this only allows me to access the routher (192.168.1.1), but not the
internet.

Any idea what may be causing this?

More about : linksys router works restart zone alarm

April 5, 2004 3:17:50 PM

<sales@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a linksys 4-port dsl router and the free version of zone
> alarm...here's my issue...
>
> When first booting my computer (win 2000) I can neither access the router
or
> the internet, so I shutdown zone alarm and everything works fine. <snip>

You must let your computer talk to the modem through ZA. Try setting the
level to medium. In the old days ZAFree did not support ICS, which is sort
of what it would see a router as. [Lousy grammar, but my intentions were
good.]

PJ
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 9:27:04 PM

What linksys router do you have?

I had to flash my router BIOS in order to use Zone Alarm.

Linksys BEFSR41.

"Patrik" <rana@mts.net> wrote in message

> <sales@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I have a linksys 4-port dsl router and the free version of zone
> > alarm...here's my issue...
> >
> > When first booting my computer (win 2000) I can neither access the
router
> or
> > the internet, so I shutdown zone alarm and everything works fine. <snip>
>
> You must let your computer talk to the modem through ZA. Try setting the
> level to medium. In the old days ZAFree did not support ICS, which is
sort
> of what it would see a router as. [Lousy grammar, but my intentions were
> good.]
>
> PJ

April 8, 2004 1:40:16 PM

I have that same model. I flashed the most recent firmware, is there
another step I should take?

"Gary Bevans" <photobossman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What linksys router do you have?
>
> I had to flash my router BIOS in order to use Zone Alarm.
>
> Linksys BEFSR41.
>

> "Patrik" <rana@mts.net> wrote in message
> >
> > <sales@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a linksys 4-port dsl router and the free version of zone
> > > alarm...here's my issue...
> > >
> > > When first booting my computer (win 2000) I can neither access the
> router
> > or
> > > the internet, so I shutdown zone alarm and everything works fine.
<snip>

> > You must let your computer talk to the modem through ZA. Try setting
the
> > level to medium. In the old days ZAFree did not support ICS, which is
> sort
> > of what it would see a router as. [Lousy grammar, but my intentions were
> > good.]
> >
> > PJ

April 8, 2004 8:40:45 PM

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:40:16 -0500, <sales@aol.com> wrote:

> I have that same model. I flashed the most recent firmware, is there
> another step I should take?
>
> "Gary Bevans" <photobossman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What linksys router do you have?
>>
>> I had to flash my router BIOS in order to use Zone Alarm.
>>
>> Linksys BEFSR41.
>>

>> "Patrik" <rana@mts.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> <sales@aol.com> wrote in message

>> router
>>> or
> <snip>
>>>
>>> You must let your computer talk to the modem through ZA. Try setting
> the
>>> level to medium. In the old days ZAFree did not support ICS, which is
>> sort
>>> of what it would see a router as. [Lousy grammar, but my intentions were
>>> good.]
>>>
>>> PJ

Hi

Do you have the LAN Subnet (192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0) in the Trusted zone
and is that zone set to Medium? When you first boot the PC does it get a
valid IP address or a 169.x.x.x IP?

Regards

Bill
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 6:48:47 PM

well after adding those settings, I can atleast access my router without
restarting ZoneAlarm, but still no Internet access. Any more suggestions?

BTW, thanks for everyone's help so far.

> Do you have the LAN Subnet (192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0) in the Trusted zone
> and is that zone set to Medium? When you first boot the PC does it get a
> valid IP address or a 169.x.x.x IP?
>
> Regards
>
> Bill
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 6:50:47 PM

What about this tidbit from ZoneAlarm?

"You may have started ZoneAlarm manually with an already live connection to
the Internet. Try closing down all browser windows, then restart the
application."
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 10:07:53 PM

So I removed the option "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" and placed a shortcut in
my "Startup" folder and everything works as should.

> What about this tidbit from ZoneAlarm?
>
> "You may have started ZoneAlarm manually with an already live connection
> the Internet. Try closing down all browser windows, then restart the
> application."

April 12, 2004 2:24:34 AM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:48:47 -0500, <sales@aol.com> wrote:

> well after adding those settings, I can atleast access my router without
> restarting ZoneAlarm, but still no Internet access. Any more suggestions?
>
> BTW, thanks for everyone's help so far.
>
>> Do you have the LAN Subnet (192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0) in the Trusted zone
>> and is that zone set to Medium? When you first boot the PC does it get a
>> valid IP address or a 169.x.x.x IP?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Bill

Rather than try to diagnose what's wrong with your system now, I would
suggest that you delete the rules database and let ZA re-create it. To do
that uncheck the 'Load ZA at startup' option and reboot the system. Delete
*all* the files (keep any *.txt log files you may want/need) in the
\Internet Logs directory (under the \WINDOWS directory) the restart ZA. You
will need to authorise all your programs again or you could put ZA into
'learn' mode for a couple of days.

Make sure that you check the 'Load ZA at startup' option again and put ZA
program Program Control after a couple of days. See if that still causes
you the same problem.

Regards

Bill
!