Clevo monster machine

Windhawk

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Hello,
I just bought clevo x7280 laptop and its a 64 bit win 7 OS. do I have to buy all new 64 bit word processors and such?

Solution
32-bit and 64-bit Windows: Frequently asked questions

Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?
Most programs designed for a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows will work on a computer running 64-bit versions of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs, and some hardware drivers.

Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows don't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows. For information about updating drivers and troubleshooting issues with device drivers for 64-bit versions of Windows, contact the manufacturer of the device or...

Windhawk

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
thanks WR2 that make it so much easier then having to buy all new software. By the way the people building my new machine said no 32 bit software will run on a 64 bit OS. weird huh!!!

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: Frequently asked questions

Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?
Most programs designed for a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows will work on a computer running 64-bit versions of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs, and some hardware drivers.

Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows don't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows. For information about updating drivers and troubleshooting issues with device drivers for 64-bit versions of Windows, contact the manufacturer of the device or program.

Solution

Like WR2 said, 90% of the 32 bit Windows software will work. The exception to this would be some Anti Virus, drivers, and some older software.

DO NOT listen to the people who built your rig. They do not seem to know WTF they are talking about.

Windhawk

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I agree that they don't. I have already checked out some of my software and it says it will work on the new machine. BTW, I just was notified that the new laptop is on the way. I can't wait to see how this big machine works. It has 4 gbs of video memory in sli mode on two gforce cards and 12 gbs of 1333 memory as well as a 980x i7 intel processor. Thank you all for your kind info.

Damn.... just don't expect the battery to last long.

PS: Does it have Switchable graphics (aka nvidia Optimus )?