SP2 Renders Picture and Fax Viewer useless for printing

September 8, 2004 2:06:15 PM

The installation of Microsft Windows SP2 (for XP Pro)
rendered the application "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"
virtually useless. The application displays a picture
(.jpeg) with correct colors, however, when printing from
this application, the picture is extremely dark (almost
purely black).
I use an Epson 2200 Photo Printer (driver current). I've
contacted Epson regarding this matter. They
replied "There
are known issues when printing from Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer after installation of SP2. Printing photos
from
another application will resolve this problem."
I print very large 16 bit tif files this way and it is
the only way that I know of to print large 13" x 40"
photos. help would be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 7:49:39 AM

Ken,
I contacted Microsoft directly regarding this issue -
received a reply yesterday.
They seemed highly interested in my problem. I will post
again when I hear more.
JES

September 15, 2004 10:11:03 PM

I am having the same problem. I really like the versatility of using the
Windows Photo Printing Wizard; being able to print multiple photos on a
single 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Everything was fine; I was happy with the
quality of the photo printing. Then I upgraded to SP2. Now, all my photos
turn out very dark. They print fine with other applications, but those
applicaitons are not suited to multiple printing of photos on a single sheet.
It's long and laborious, with lots of chances for error.

I am using an Epson CX6400 all-in-one printer.

Ed

"Joseph Singletary" wrote:

> Ken,
> I contacted Microsoft directly regarding this issue -
> received a reply yesterday.
> They seemed highly interested in my problem. I will post
> again when I hear more.
> JES

October 2, 2004 11:45:11 PM

Ed wrote:
> *I am having the same problem. I really like the versatility of
> using the
> Windows Photo Printing Wizard; being able to print multiple photos on
> single 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Everything was fine; I was happy with
> the
> quality of the photo printing. Then I upgraded to SP2. Now, all my
> photos
> turn out very dark. They print fine with other applications, but
> those
> applicaitons are not suited to multiple printing of photos on a
> single sheet.
> It's long and laborious, with lots of chances for error.
>
> I am using an Epson CX6400 all-in-one printer.
>
> Ed
>

> "Joseph Singletary" wrote:
>
> > Ken,
> > I contacted Microsoft directly regarding this issue -
> > received a reply yesterday.
> > They seemed highly interested in my problem. I will post
> > again when I hear more.
> > JES
> > *

Same problem here, also using an Epson printer. Photos print great
directly from printer, but about 2 stops darker when using the photo
printing wizard, or the Kodak or Epson software supplied with the
hardware.
Seems to print OK from MS Word.
Anyone got a solution yet?

--
X-Dog
October 4, 2004 12:06:42 PM

Hey everyone, I googled right on in here. I too have a problem with SP2
and The Picture and Fax Viewer... SP2 removed mine!

Has anyone heard of this, or was I just unlucky?

--
phillips
October 4, 2004 3:44:14 PM

Hi

I have spoken to Epson about the problem. They are aware of the issue.
Basically it's due (so they tell me) to both the driver and the Photo
Printing Wizard trying to manage the colour balance.

They assure me that if you set the driver to use ICM (no colour
management) then the problem should be resolved.

They also directed me to the AUSTRALIAN web site, where information on
configuring the drivers for use with ICM (mostly with photoshop in
mind), and also a newer version of Epson's PhotoQuicker is available
for download (with a notice that you must not download it unless you
are in Australia - I know you'll be good!).

So, go to Epson.com, choose Australia, select downloads and take it
from there.
I needed s/w and drivers for the R300, in AU it's called the 310 - so
expect minor differences in model names and numbers.

Good Luck - hope this helps.
Regards
Steve

--
X-Dog
October 10, 2004 8:31:01 PM

I looked at this list because I'm also having a problem with SP2 and The
Picture and Fax Viewer. At first, I also thought it had been removed. I
later realized Picture and Fax Viewer is still there because the following
worked:

I right-clicked on a fax in the Fax Console and saved the fax as a .tif
file. I double clicked on the .tif file and Picture and Fax Viewer came up,
working just fine.

My problem is, how do I get Picture and Fax Viewer to come up when I double
click on a fax directly in the Fax Console? There error message I'm getting
is "The fax document cannot be displayed because your operating system does
not have a default viewer for fax documents (.tif files)." And yet, I'm
able to view .tif files using Picture and Fax Viewer just by double clicking
on a .tif file.

Does anyone know how to get the Fax Console to recognize Picture and Fax
Viewer as the default?

"phillips" <phillips.1dqkd2@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message
news:p hillips.1dqkd2@mail.mcse.ms...

> Hey everyone, I googled right on in here. I too have a problem with SP2
> and The Picture and Fax Viewer... SP2 removed mine!
>
> Has anyone heard of this, or was I just unlucky?
>

> --
> phillips

October 10, 2004 8:31:02 PM

To view faxes from the Fax Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must
be your default viewer for TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in
Windows Explorer > Folder Options. File Types. For most users the command
line should read:

"rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Colin Keenan" <colin@colinsdatamotive.com> wrote in message
>I looked at this list because I'm also having a problem with SP2 and The
> Picture and Fax Viewer. At first, I also thought it had been removed. I
> later realized Picture and Fax Viewer is still there because the following
> worked:
>
> I right-clicked on a fax in the Fax Console and saved the fax as a .tif
> file. I double clicked on the .tif file and Picture and Fax Viewer came
> up,
> working just fine.
>
> My problem is, how do I get Picture and Fax Viewer to come up when I
> double
> click on a fax directly in the Fax Console? There error message I'm
> getting
> is "The fax document cannot be displayed because your operating system
> does
> not have a default viewer for fax documents (.tif files)." And yet, I'm
> able to view .tif files using Picture and Fax Viewer just by double
> clicking
> on a .tif file.
>
> Does anyone know how to get the Fax Console to recognize Picture and Fax
> Viewer as the default?
>
> "phillips" <phillips.1dqkd2@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message
> news:p hillips.1dqkd2@mail.mcse.ms...
>>
>> Hey everyone, I googled right on in here. I too have a problem with SP2
>> and The Picture and Fax Viewer... SP2 removed mine!
>>
>> Has anyone heard of this, or was I just unlucky?
>>

>> --
>> phillips

October 12, 2004 1:19:03 PM

My printing seems to be fine, but I've lost the ability to print file names.
I've gotten used to using the contact sheet option in the photo printing
wizard, and used to be able to print with the names...now I can't.

I use an Epson 777 and my photos print fine, but no names.

Any help possible?

"X-Dog" wrote:

> Ed wrote:
> > *I am having the same problem. I really like the versatility of
> > using the
> > Windows Photo Printing Wizard; being able to print multiple photos on
> > single 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Everything was fine; I was happy with
> > the
> > quality of the photo printing. Then I upgraded to SP2. Now, all my
> > photos
> > turn out very dark. They print fine with other applications, but
> > those
> > applicaitons are not suited to multiple printing of photos on a
> > single sheet.
> > It's long and laborious, with lots of chances for error.
> >
> > I am using an Epson CX6400 all-in-one printer.
> >
> > Ed
> >

> > "Joseph Singletary" wrote:
> >
> > > Ken,
> > > I contacted Microsoft directly regarding this issue -
> > > received a reply yesterday.
> > > They seemed highly interested in my problem. I will post
> > > again when I hear more.
> > > JES
> > > *
>
> Same problem here, also using an Epson printer. Photos print great
> directly from printer, but about 2 stops darker when using the photo
> printing wizard, or the Kodak or Epson software supplied with the
> hardware.
> Seems to print OK from MS Word.
> Anyone got a solution yet?
>

> --
> X-Dog

October 21, 2004 12:56:15 PM

Hi all,

I'm testing this solution on an Epson R800 with driver version 5.5 and it
works fine.

5.4 driver was very dark.

--
Best regards