Alpha PAL6035 - fan (up or down)

G

Hi! I just equipped an ALPHA PAL6035 to my AMD 1200, and I was wondering, for others with this heatsink, if they've had noticable drops in temps depending on the direction of airflow, either directed in, or out. Currently I have the fan pushing air away from the HS, which is the manufacturers spec, and I've heard works well with this HS. Just curious as to what others have experienced. Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Alpha has a shoud which is supposed to insure that the air is actually pulled through the fins. Most don't. I would try it both ways to see what the results are.

Back to you Tom...

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I point my fan down, if I remember when I tested it correctly, it was about 5c cooler this way. That's on my Gig @ 1266.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Unless you have good airflow ACROSS your mainboard, sucking air up from the heatsink will preform worse than blowing down on it.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
as you've proberly gathered blowing air over the h/sink is more effective at cooling it!!
look at verious reviews for the pal8045 they give temps with same fan both ways round & blowing air over the h/sink is allways about 3-5 c cooler

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
You mean blowing air "on" the heatsink. What I was referring to was lateral airflow across the board. Having the fan suck up air is only good if you have excellent lateral airflow, usually provided by a fan mounted at a 90o angle to the board.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue: