Sign in with
Your question

I7 running at over 90 degrees in hackintosh

Last response: in Mac Os X
December 24, 2011 7:54:45 AM

Hi guys, I am building a hackintosh, and I've struck down every issue that has come so far. I'm afraid that I've come to one which may be hardware related, but may also be my fault. I've included my specs at the bottom of this post for reference.

First of all, I purchased an i7-2600k even though I wont OC. The reason for this is because it was actually cheaper than the regular 2600 because of the sale. So All is well until I install the stock cpu cooler. I ran into an issue and basically plugged 2 of the 4 pegs into the mobo which happened to both be bottom corners. I'm worried this may have distributed the thermal paste mostly onto the top of the chip. I didn't think anything of it and continued installation. Everything went well, and I installed the 10.6.4 update and multibeast. When restarting, I ran into the issue that it would just keep rebooting without actually starting OSX, so I went into the bios to see what the issue might be. Thats when I noticed my i7 is running at 90+ degrees :\ I almost *** myself. Powered down immediately and now I'm looking for a fix. Could it be a hardware problem, or am I solely to blame? Any other possible reasons for this?

What are the possible fixes? I'm considering a better cpu cooler and good thermal paste, but I'm also thinking there could be a bios setting thats causing it to run hot. Anyways, lay it on me guys. Here's the specs:

i7-2600k
mobo: gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Drives: m4 crucial 128gb (SSD and boot drive) Seagate Baracuda 7200rpm 1TB
Ram: 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz
Corsair TX650M psu (650 watts) Radeon HD 6850 GPU

All components checked for compatibility.
December 24, 2011 10:22:27 AM

Heatsink mounted faulty. Check if every plastick pin is inserted corecly in the MB
m
l
December 24, 2011 4:48:47 PM

yes incorrectly mounted cpu heatsink is your issue. if mounted correctly (all pins must be pushed in and locked) and cpu fan plugged in, stock cooler will be sufficient.
m
l
December 24, 2011 5:33:12 PM

Thanks a lot for your responses. I was worried I trashed a $300+ cpu. I will update once problem is resolved.
m
l
!