Signal Strength

Last response: in Network Providers
March 1, 2005 11:29:23 AM

I have a VX7000 and find that the signal strength will vary from no
signal up to three bars frequently while I'm inside my condo. Yesterday
I was doing an experiment on the signal. While outside the the complex
the signal was three bars. As soon as I drove throught the entrance,
the signal dropped and started swinging. Recently I've had couple of
dropped calls because the phone lost signal which has not happened
before.

Can anyone give an educated guess whether the problem might be with cell
tower or the phone itself. I did call CS yesterday and they have
started a trouble ticket at their end.

More about : signal strength

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:32:52 PM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:29:23 -0800, *looking for answers*
<lvasumaki@lvcm.com> wrote:

>I have a VX7000 and find that the signal strength will vary from no
>signal up to three bars frequently while I'm inside my condo. Yesterday
>I was doing an experiment on the signal. While outside the the complex
>the signal was three bars. As soon as I drove throught the entrance,
>the signal dropped and started swinging. Recently I've had couple of
>dropped calls because the phone lost signal which has not happened
>before.
>
>Can anyone give an educated guess whether the problem might be with cell
>tower or the phone itself. I did call CS yesterday and they have
>started a trouble ticket at their end.

The signal bars mean nothing. You can get dropped calls with full
bars, and you can make a call with no bars. The only way to get a true
signal reading is if your phone has a debug mode.
March 1, 2005 8:01:50 PM

It sounds more like materials used to build the condo are affecting the
signal. It's not an uncommon problem.

"*looking for answers*" <lvasumaki@lvcm.com> wrote in message
>I have a VX7000 and find that the signal strength will vary from no
> signal up to three bars frequently while I'm inside my condo. Yesterday
> I was doing an experiment on the signal. While outside the the complex
> the signal was three bars. As soon as I drove throught the entrance,
> the signal dropped and started swinging. Recently I've had couple of
> dropped calls because the phone lost signal which has not happened
> before.
>
> Can anyone give an educated guess whether the problem might be with cell
> tower or the phone itself. I did call CS yesterday and they have
> started a trouble ticket at their end.
March 1, 2005 8:01:51 PM

So wood and stucco construction is detrimental to cell phone signal.
How does that correlate to the fact that when I step outside and walk
around the complex, the same is true?

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:01:50 GMT, "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com>
wrote:

>It sounds more like materials used to build the condo are affecting the
>signal. It's not an uncommon problem.
>
>"*looking for answers*" <lvasumaki@lvcm.com> wrote in message
>>I have a VX7000 and find that the signal strength will vary from no
>> signal up to three bars frequently while I'm inside my condo. Yesterday
>> I was doing an experiment on the signal. While outside the the complex
>> the signal was three bars. As soon as I drove throught the entrance,
>> the signal dropped and started swinging. Recently I've had couple of
>> dropped calls because the phone lost signal which has not happened
>> before.
>>
>> Can anyone give an educated guess whether the problem might be with cell
>> tower or the phone itself. I did call CS yesterday and they have
>> started a trouble ticket at their end.

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 8:01:52 PM

>So wood and stucco construction is detrimental to cell phone signal.
>How does that correlate to the fact that when I step outside and walk
>around the complex, the same is true?

The same reason why a HDTV signal is as hard to get outside as inside
sometimes... signal multipath.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 8:45:41 PM

So it's 100% wood and stucco? No metal beams? Nothing between you and the
tower your signal comes from? Nothing that could cause interference what so
ever?

You said when you drive through the entrance you lose signal - something
inside the entrance is causing interference. Since it works just outside the
entrance, it's probably not the tower or phone.

> So wood and stucco construction is detrimental to cell phone signal.
> How does that correlate to the fact that when I step outside and walk
> around the complex, the same is true?
>
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:01:50 GMT, "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com>
> wrote:
>
>>It sounds more like materials used to build the condo are affecting the
>>signal. It's not an uncommon problem.
>>
>>"*looking for answers*" <lvasumaki@lvcm.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a VX7000 and find that the signal strength will vary from no
>>> signal up to three bars frequently while I'm inside my condo. Yesterday
>>> I was doing an experiment on the signal. While outside the the complex
>>> the signal was three bars. As soon as I drove throught the entrance,
>>> the signal dropped and started swinging. Recently I've had couple of
>>> dropped calls because the phone lost signal which has not happened
>>> before.
>>>
>>> Can anyone give an educated guess whether the problem might be with cell
>>> tower or the phone itself. I did call CS yesterday and they have
>>> started a trouble ticket at their end.

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 8:45:42 PM

Ummm, stucco is plastered over chicken wire. Not sure
how fine or loose the mesh needs to be to significantly
interfere with cell bands.

-Quick

cricket wrote:
> So it's 100% wood and stucco? No metal beams? Nothing
> between you and the tower your signal comes from? Nothing
> that could cause interference what so ever?
>
> You said when you drive through the entrance you lose
> signal - something inside the entrance is causing
> interference. Since it works just outside the entrance,
> it's probably not the tower or phone.
>

> "*looking for answers*" <lvasumaki@lvcm.com> wrote in
> message news:h19921pf28figpv7ae9tgvcc3ct1mpp75q@4ax.com...
>> So wood and stucco construction is detrimental to cell
>> phone signal. How does that correlate to the fact that
>> when I step outside and walk around the complex, the
>> same is true?
>>
>> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:01:50 GMT, "cricket"
>> <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It sounds more like materials used to build the condo
>>> are affecting the signal. It's not an uncommon problem.
>>>
>>> "*looking for answers*" <lvasumaki@lvcm.com> wrote in
>>> message

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:51:40 AM

In article <jh592195vm0t07jevcjd0ag74v090g18bv@4ax.com>,
lvasumaki@lvcm.com says...
> I have a VX7000 and find that the signal strength will vary from no
> signal up to three bars frequently while I'm inside my condo. Yesterday
> I was doing an experiment on the signal. While outside the the complex
> the signal was three bars. As soon as I drove throught the entrance,
> the signal dropped and started swinging. Recently I've had couple of
> dropped calls because the phone lost signal which has not happened
> before.
>
> Can anyone give an educated guess whether the problem might be with cell
> tower or the phone itself. I did call CS yesterday and they have
> started a trouble ticket at their end.

The bars are relatively meaningless on a CDMA system. The base
station's CDMA signal strength is changed continuously several thousand
times per second, as is the mobile's signal strength.

--
Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD, USA

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 03:51:40 GMT, Michael D. Sullivan
<userid@camsul.example.invalid> wrote:

>In article <jh592195vm0t07jevcjd0ag74v090g18bv@4ax.com>,
>lvasumaki@lvcm.com says...
>> I have a VX7000 and find that the signal strength will vary from no
>> signal up to three bars frequently while I'm inside my condo. Yesterday
>> I was doing an experiment on the signal. While outside the the complex
>> the signal was three bars. As soon as I drove throught the entrance,
>> the signal dropped and started swinging. Recently I've had couple of
>> dropped calls because the phone lost signal which has not happened
>> before.
>>
>> Can anyone give an educated guess whether the problem might be with cell
>> tower or the phone itself. I did call CS yesterday and they have
>> started a trouble ticket at their end.
>
>The bars are relatively meaningless on a CDMA system. The base
>station's CDMA signal strength is changed continuously several thousand
>times per second, as is the mobile's signal strength.

That is 100% correct. You may have a strong signal but also have a
high level of interference at the same time (funny that there are no
indicator bars for this).

The best way to diagnose this problem is to take a look at the field
test screen. This is where you can get a more meaningful indication
of what signal problems you are experiencing.

For a LG VX7000, press the Menu key, then "0", when prompted with
"??????" press "0" six times. Choose "Field Tests" then "Screen".

The numbers you want to look at are RX Power which is your signal
strength and Ec/Io which is your signal to noise ratio.

Keep in mind the phone will display negative values, so you have to
think backwards as in -85 is a weaker signal than -28. Ec/Io is also
a negative value. -0 to -5 is considered a good s/n ratio. -6 to -15
is considered marginal, and anything below that the phone is
unuseable. I've been in areas where I had 5 bars on the display and
could not make a call because of too much interference.

As to all of the other gobblety-gook on the diagnostic screen, have a
look at http://www.necellularsites.net/FieldTest/lg.htm (not my site).

I hope this helps. :)

- Sandy
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:41:16 PM

Thanks checked out the website as well as my phone.

ec/lo varies -08 to -15 constantly
Mode also changes from C to S at times
Rx power varies between -87 to -95

So it seems to show that the signal I get is not very good or constant.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 04:26:55 GMT, Sandy A. Nicolaysen
<sandynic@verizon.net> wrote:

>snip.......
>Keep in mind the phone will display negative values, so you have to
>think backwards as in -85 is a weaker signal than -28. Ec/Io is also
>a negative value. -0 to -5 is considered a good s/n ratio. -6 to -15
>is considered marginal, and anything below that the phone is
>unuseable. I've been in areas where I had 5 bars on the display and
>could not make a call because of too much interference.
>
>As to all of the other gobblety-gook on the diagnostic screen, have a
>look at http://www.necellularsites.net/FieldTest/lg.htm (not my site).
>
>I hope this helps. :)
>
>- Sandy
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 2:51:19 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:41:16 -0800, *looking for answers*
<lvasumaki@lvcm.com> wrote:

>Thanks checked out the website as well as my phone.
>
>ec/lo varies -08 to -15 constantly
>Mode also changes from C to S at times
>Rx power varies between -87 to -95
>
>So it seems to show that the signal I get is not very good or constant.

Rx Power between -87 to -95 is usually acceptable, but -08 to -15
Ec/Io shows something in your area is causing a lot of interference.

The mode switching between C and S is normal when not on a call.

BTW, don't let the absolute RX Power numbers fool you. The strongest
signal I ever received displayed -28 while 50 feet from a Verizon cell
tower.

- Sandy
!