Status
Not open for further replies.

Servotron96

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Hello,
I'm a noob to this forum stuff so I really don't know what info to put up.
Anyway here's the problem:
A while ago I got Skyrim for my computer.
Specs-
Windows 7 Pro
Manufacturer: Dell
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz 2.67GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

Video Card-
Name: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip Type: ATI display adapter (0x94C1)
DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)
Approx. Total Memory: 1002 MB
Current Display Mode: 1280x1024 (2bit) (60Hz)

Well anyway, The game ran great, almost no lag, graphics were standard (as in not too great on quality but no glitches or anything)

Then, a few months later I decided to play the game again.
(As a side not, during these few months I had taken out the graphics card.)
I reinstalled the game and plugged the card back in. I updated some drivers for it and got ready to play.
When I loaded the game up, I put all graphics settings to the extreme low as before and pressed start. The game loaded up, I got to the menu screen. I pressed start and the logo and stuff came up. Then it crashed.
The same thing happened over and over again.
Sometimes, the game would start and the games beginning scene with me sitting in the wagon would come up. Then when things came into focus I could see that the surrounding would and the characters would be missing bits and pieces of their pixels. Like chunks of their body would be missing and I would be able to see the background through them. I really don't know what's going on. I really want to play this game again.
P.S. I just remembered, in the few months in between, I fully cleaned my computer with a new clean version of windows when I installed Windows 7 Ultimate.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
I can't explain why you at first could play the game with what you have. But your problem is your graphic card (GPU) it is way under matched so what is happening your GPU is bottlenecking.

You need to upgrade your GPU to a HD 3850 recommended is a 4890 or anything higher. I will link you to the hierarchy of the GPU's so you can see where your card stands now.

I will also list min system requirements and the recommended system requirements. So I hope this helps in a way and I am sorry to give you that news. If you have troubles finding a card let us know and we will help you.

Good luck to you and I do wish you the best. The recommended GPU's are at the bottom of this post.

Hierarchy chart of GPU's...

DM186

Splendid
I can't explain why you at first could play the game with what you have. But your problem is your graphic card (GPU) it is way under matched so what is happening your GPU is bottlenecking.

You need to upgrade your GPU to a HD 3850 recommended is a 4890 or anything higher. I will link you to the hierarchy of the GPU's so you can see where your card stands now.

I will also list min system requirements and the recommended system requirements. So I hope this helps in a way and I am sorry to give you that news. If you have troubles finding a card let us know and we will help you.

Good luck to you and I do wish you the best. The recommended GPU's are at the bottom of this post.

Hierarchy chart of GPU's
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Minimum System Requirements

* CPU: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
* RAM: 2 GB
* HDD: 6 GB
* Graphics: 512 MB card
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c
* Internet for Steam activation

Recommended System Requirements

* CPU: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
* RAM: 4 GB
* HDD: 6 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 1 GB Graphics Memory
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c
* Internet for Steam activation

Supported Graphics Cards:

Minimum – nVidia GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850
Recommended -Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher

Solution

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

There's nothing in the $30 range that will get the job done. :(

DM186

Splendid

The $30.00 won't get you the card you need. Also you need to look at your power supply (PSU) when upgrading to a bigger card. Also one more thing since your 2400 pro is a low profile card.

Does it just fit or do you have a lot of head room and leg room? If it is a low profile card you need then the biggest card you can get for now is the 6670. The PSU for that card is a 400w.

But if you don't need a low profile card then the 6770 would be the card or the new 7770 a little more money but well worth it. 400w PSU for both of those card a well. I will link you to the cards so you can get a idea.

$30.00 hang on to it and start saving the best way you can. I want to thank you for the best answer and I am sorry that I didn't have better news for you. Good luck to you.

HD 6670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=HD+6670&x=0&y=0

HD 6770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=HD+6770&x=0&y=0

HD 7770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=HD+7770&x=0&y=0

Servotron96

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Thanks a bunch for the help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.