Air Flow

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, I just want to know what is the best way to cool down my system through air flow. In total, I would say, I have 9 fans. 2 on the PSU, 1 on CPU, 1 on chipset, 1 intake, 1 exhaust, 1 on graphics card, and one beside the graphics card, exhausting the heat produced by the card. Ok, my temps are very reasonable, idling in the low 40s and high 40s load. Currently, inside my case is a mess. I have a jumble of power cables and IDE cables in there. I might consider getting round IDE cables however. My question, how do I optimize my case airflow with my current fan setup?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Get some of the electrical tubing you can find at RadioShack and electrical tape to bind up power cables. That's a biggy, and worked well for me.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

I would start by disregarding your fans on the mobo, CPU & gfx. These simply cool the parts.

You need to try to channel the airflow in <b>one</b> direction. Its better to have a constant rate of refreshed air than to have 50 zillion fans bombarding air onto the parts.

I have 1 x 80mm intake at the front/bottom of my case, 1 x 80mm intake on the side for the CPU & gfx, and 2 x 80mm exhausts on the top. All heat rises, so let it out!

If possible, try to minimise the chance of having airflows bombrding each other.

Use only as many fans as you have to. The more you use, the more heat from the PSU.

Some people like to block up unused gaps and holes to increase correct airflow. This also cuts down the chance of dust coming in.

Another way to avoid dust is to make sure the amount of intake is slightly greater than the exhaust. This keeps the pressure inside and stops dust being sucked in.

I like to use filters on my intakes. Remember, dust = heat.

Does it work? My temps are in the low 30s and I can hardly hear the thing (I don't like noisy fans).

Hear endeth the lesson. :smile:

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Thanks, that's a lot of help.

Use only as many fans as you have to. The more you use, the more heat from the PSU.
I doubt that actually increases PSU temps that much because I have a 430W Enermax PSU and the total power consumed by my internal components aren't even close to that 430W limit.

Some people like to block up unused gaps and holes to increase correct airflow. This also cuts down the chance of dust coming in.
That's the hard part. My Enermax PSU has really long cables. What I'm doing right now is tucking away the extra cables in an empty 5.25 inch drive bay. The IDE and floppy cables are also a mess. They're taking up so much room in the case. I might consider buying round cables however. I am reluctant to make my own round cables because I don't think I can keep my hand steady enough to cut up the thin 80 wire cables.

Another way to avoid dust is to make sure the amount of intake is slightly greater than the exhaust. This keeps the pressure inside and stops dust being sucked in.
I never heard that one before. Doesn't having a lot of intake just recirculate heat if there aren't enough exhaust fans?

I like to use filters on my intakes. Remember, dust = heat.
Where can I find filters? I usually clean out my case from dust once a week with a can of compressed air, but I'd be interested in filters. I'm afraid however, that they might decrease the amount of air flow.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

<A HREF="http://www.overclock.co.uk/formproducts.php?offset=5&producttype=Grills-Bits" target="_new">Filters</A> This is my source, which is in the U.K. Sorry if its no help.

In the case of your PSU, fair enough. Its just good practice.

I have round cables, but I haven't tried testing them. I'd buy one for a test. Keep the length below 30".

The actual pressure difference won't impede the airflow if you get it right. It just stops dust being sucked in.

I'm not sure if the airflow is bothered too much by filters unless you let them get clogged up. Try them and see if they make a difference in temps. Depending on the dustyness of your environment (no offense), you may need to clean them or change them regularly. Keep the base unit off the floor if possible.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Depending on the dustyness of your environment (no offense), you may need to clean them or change them regularly. Keep the base unit off the floor if possible.
Hehe, there is dust everywhere, you can't really remove 100% of dust in a room. Base unit off floor? hmm, that's not going to be easy. My case weighs a ton and I don't have room on my desk for the case. Would a sheet of plastic under the case help?

Naw. If your front intake is near ground level, it will just suck air in from the carpet. Fluff, hair, everything. Yeah you'll get dust anyway, but if dust settles, it must fall, so try to keep the fan away from the ground.

A filter will stop most of this, but you'll just have to clean it more often.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Proper airflow is the key for sure. The fans on all of your parts will not necessarily screw up the case airflow. You need even flow into the case and out. A blowhole in the top of the case is an easy way to keep airflow in the direction the hot air wants to go…UP.

It means that you will have to perform artistic surgery on the case but it is well worth the extra work once it is all done. Normally 5oC cooler if you already have it pretty cold already.

Take a look at this guy’s website. He can get a little nuts on one or two of his case mods but see his idea for a blowhole mod. It does work. Natural air convection wants warm air to rise. So let it do what it wants to.

Clean air is key as well. A filter will help and not impede airflow much.

Binding you electrical cords will definitely help as well and/or you can buy special round cables.

If worst comes to worst. Open up both sides of your case and put a box fan near it at high speed. This is the extreme low-tech solution. But since you have so many fans I and you would not want to see them wasted on this last idea.

<b>Too early for flapjacks? - Groundhog Day</b> :lol: