jimmy_dog

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I have a 670m in my current laptop (its kinda hard to see in my sig because of ms paint). This cannot play all the games of today at max and may even have trouble playing games at all a few years in the future. Could I take the internals of my laptop out (not separate everything, just take the inner parts out of the case and take my current psu and gpu out and put new ones in? Are the psu and gpu blocked by anything and impossible to get out? HAs anyone ever done this before?

Solution
See if you can get the GTX 670m out and put the GTX 680m or 7970m in.

Edit: Actually, the slot for G75 is MXM 3.0 type B but the space in the chassis cannot fit a standard MXM 3.0 type B card because ASUS use a proprietary dimension and no guarantee bios recognition because of bios restriction. You are stuck.

The ASUS G75 is a poor choice.

Gaming laptop with MXM slot for change GPU is a bit of a scam anyway. The standard always change and incompatible with each other, with several types and occasional proprietary design (like smaller chassis so you can't put in a standard card, power restriction so you can't put in a more powerful card, mirroring the connector so you can put it in but the chip is facing the wrong way and you can...
Laptops aren't like desktops, they are much more proprietary, and a lot less open than desktops. A lot of the laptop vendors will use all sorts of proprietary components and form factors to prevent you from doing any serious upgrades.

Generally speaking the only things you can upgrade on a laptop are RAM, Hard Drive, maybe the CPU if you feel like dismantling the whole thing, and the motherboard BIOS actually supports a better CPU, often it doesn't. Some of the really high end gaming laptops might have graphics cards that can be switched out, however, replacement GPUs for laptops are not readily available, as they aren't in the retail channels, you usually have to get them second hand off of someone who ripped it out of a laptop he bought.

In short, if you want upgradeability, get a desktop. If mobility is that vital to you, you simply have to accept that you will just have to buy a new laptop if you want better gaming performance.

most of the time things are soldered into place. this is deliberate to stop laptops being upgradeable. some you can take out the gfx or even the cpu but most you cant...
all you can do is when your lappy gets on a bit. is open it and see if it can hold other hardware... chances aint good though.

It may or may not be 100% impossible but it is 100% not going to be worth it. Even if the GPU can be changed it would be to a 680m at best and you never see laptop GPUs for sale unless its from can old one that developed a fault. The PSU is external in every laptop I have seen.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

I think you are too paranoid here. I would say to make it modular, you need connectors, which increase the size and weight.
For GPU, the laptop is designed from the start with a certain cooling power, so making it replaceale would mean compromising too much the cooling (as in making the cooling solution more adaptable). Also how do you prevent the user from keeping a mid-range cooling solution and putting a high-end GPU?

See if you can get the GTX 670m out and put the GTX 680m or 7970m in.

Edit: Actually, the slot for G75 is MXM 3.0 type B but the space in the chassis cannot fit a standard MXM 3.0 type B card because ASUS use a proprietary dimension and no guarantee bios recognition because of bios restriction. You are stuck.

The ASUS G75 is a poor choice.

Gaming laptop with MXM slot for change GPU is a bit of a scam anyway. The standard always change and incompatible with each other, with several types and occasional proprietary design (like smaller chassis so you can't put in a standard card, power restriction so you can't put in a more powerful card, mirroring the connector so you can put it in but the chip is facing the wrong way and you can connect the heat sink or different mounting whole/notch or soldering the card directly without connector). Yes, ASUS and Alienware loves to put those restriction in place so that upgrading will be pain in the ass or impossible. Better stick with Clevo barebone next time unless ASUS or Alienware are really cheap or you are not planning on upgrading.

Solution

jimmy_dog

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
28wj57t.jpg

My brother got sad after seeing my laptop because he wanted to play games and the desktop downstairs only had a g41 chipset for graphics. So I may get the Sager NP9170 (with the 7970m) because my parents feel bad.

Ok. Although it would be more economical to just use the G75 until it is no good for games any more and upgrade the desktop for your bro.

Just a suggestion to save your parents some money.

Your parents probably know less about computer than you do and you probably wouldn't tell your parents about it.

The situation, I guess, would be very different if you have to pay for it yourself.