12V + 5V=17V=peltier working?

svol

Champion
I have the following problem:

I have a Kryotherm DRIFT-0.8 172Watt Peltier whit a voltage rating from 12 to 24 Volt. I have 2 PSU, both 350W, and one will feed my peltier. The problem with the PSU is that it will only give 9A at the 12V line, this could be sufficient for the peltier but if my CPU warmth get above 100W I will get a problem because I run out of power.

My question is if somebody of you knows if it is possible to put the 12V and 5V line of the PSU to create 17V. In theory this can by connecting the 12V+ line to one of the peltier wires and the -5V line to the other one (gives a difference of 17). Buth I don't know of the will work with a computer PSU. Does somebody of you can help me?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Dude, that 172w peltier most likely runs off 13.8 amps. Which means it runs well at 12v (+150w). Granted, it will kick a$$ at 17v for a while until the soldier on the leads melts, or your psu caves in; but is that what you want?

The vast majority of people who successfully run peltiers do so with external power supplies. That's not to say you can't run it off a psu. You can!

Just not a 172w with 9amps on the 12volt rail (i.e. time for a psu upgrade).

I love the smell of <font color=red>NAPALM</font color=red> in the morning...

G

psu's only have from .2 to .6 amps on the -5 line so no peltier on that.