Airflow direction

G

I have a 1.33GHz Athlon that's reaching 60-62C under full load (CAE application) and the chassis temperature sensor is reading 40-43C. I've got a Molex radial fin heatsink on the CPU and 2 high speed (50+CFM) fans in the case and I'm wondering if I need to rethink my airflow direction(s). The CPU heatsink fan is pressurizing so I set up the fans to intake at the back and exhaust at the front to bring the cool air over the CPU. Should I reverse the case fans?

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
You need a better heatsink. Try an Alpha 8045 with a Delta fan or the Thermalright SK6. That will bring oC down.

If you are really adventureous try this link to a guy who shows you how to hack your case to maximize airflow.

http://www.2cooltek.com/index.html

You might REALLY want to do both. Maximize CPU cooling and get your case fresh cool air.

<b>Too early for flapjacks? - Groundhog Day</b> :lol:

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Reverse the fans. The intake should be at the front, the exhaust in the back...hot air rises, that's why. Try to see if the CPU fan can be blown at the heatsink, not away from it.

What are you using to check your temps? The motherboard sensors aren't reliable, FYI. It's better to use a thermistor, like a Compunurse or an equivalent.

If you want a decent cooler, I think the Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu at <A HREF="http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/duron.shtml" target="_new">Coolerguys.com</A> for $10 is good. Private msg HonestJhon, cuz he just got his in yesterday, and ask him how it's working for him.

Don't pay any attention to my chickenscratch. :eek:

dhlucke

Polypheme
I just got mine too, and it's fine. My temps aren't even getting in the 40's, but I'm going to download motherboard monitor to get a better reading.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
It's on a 1.0 Ghz, but I still can't get motherboard monitor to work. I've been to ocworkbench trying to figure out how to configure it for a ecs k7s5a, but I have no idea how. I keep getting 1 or 51 (never changing). If anyone has a clue what I need to change (sensor and voltage wise), let me know so I can get a rock solid temp out there. Everyone lists settings, but noone says how to do it.

I can't overclock until I have a reliable temp.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

You have to find out what sensors your board is using. Or do what I did and tried a few until it matched the bios temps.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Ok, final verdict:

Needed a patch for MBM5, info is at the bottom of the main page. With that I got reliable temps. I'm running sub 40 unless I start pushing it. Under 100% load running toast on high priority my temps level off at 45. For a normal load it is around 38-42. Not too noisy and I'd recommend it.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 10/24/01 11:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS