Problem with com ports

First is there anyway I can tell what devices are using my com ports? Here's
my problem. I recently went dsl and istalled SP2 which I have uninstalled
because of all the irritating little problems it caused. I have a V92 56k
fax/modem which I haven't used the fax function in about a year or two. So I
didn't have the fax software installed. Two days ago I tried installing the
fax software. I couldn't install it until I rolled back to an earlier driver.
My computer says my modem is connected to com 3 but according to device
manager I only have two com ports which are in use. I have no idea what could
be using these ports since my mouse, printer and other devices are connected
to the usb ports hub.

Modem installation software sets the port to com3 to keep the two physical
com ports free.. yes, I know that you only have one physical com port and
two registering in Device Manager, but there was a time that computers had
two physical com ports.. the installation software has to take into account
that the modem might be used in an older system..

"TexasIronCowboy" <TexasIronCowboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F96EBCDF-4F57-4D45-9E83-A26271A08636@microsoft.com...