Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is an ESN#

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 1, 2005 1:44:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Alright this might sound stupid, but I am looking at buying a kyocera
7135 which my provider uses, but don't want to pay $399 and committ for
2 more years. I have seen a bunch of these go on ebay for less than
half of this price. In one description it says that they could not
provide the ESN#.
Is this something needed to unlock or activate?
If my provider regularily activates and programs this phone would they
be able to perform this or are they going to need a phone that is
already unlocked?

Or if anyone has any info on how to handle the programming/activation
of this phone, please post.

FWIW I am looking at this phone becasue it has all of the features that
I am looking for and was thinking of getting a PDA that plays MP3s and
rather than to have to carry and keep track of all of the different
devices, I thought I'd go this route.

If anyone knows of any other CDMA Tri-Mode phones that will do all of
this please let me know.

Thanks for your help

More about : esn

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:27:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

bucky@onwisconsin.com wrote:
> Alright this might sound stupid, but I am looking at
> buying a kyocera 7135 which my provider uses, but don't
> want to pay $399 and committ for 2 more years. I have
> seen a bunch of these go on ebay for less than half of
> this price. In one description it says that they could
> not provide the ESN#.

Stay away! Stay far away! The ESN is the equivalent
of a serial number. It is readily accessable on the phone
itself (under the battery) or displayable through menus
on the phone (assuming it's operating).

Yes, the ESN is what will be used to activate the phone.
Carriers keep "black lists" of ESNs of stolen phones. If
you try to activate the ESN of a phone that has past due
charges with that carrier they may refuse it or ask for
payment before doing so.

My advice would be to pay the $399. For the same
reason I would never buy a laptop on ebay. You might
pay twice the price but:
It *will* be new.
If you don't like it you can take it back.
If it quits working within a year they will replace it
for you right away, no questions/problems (maybe
with something comparable if they've discontinued it).
Something like this, although very well built, is very
sensitive to care physically and software wise. I've
seriously modified the firmware in mine. If I'd screwed
it up it would be really flaky. You would never know
until some time after the sale.

-Quick
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 4:52:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The ESN number is located under the battery of a CDMA phone. Remove
battery and copy number down. Then you got to VZW and give them the new
ESN number to activate phone. Each phone has its own ESN number. Just
keep in mind that if the ESN turns out to be that of a stolen phone you
are out of luck. Also ask you local VZW dealer if I am correct.

bucky@onwisconsin.com wrote:
> Alright this might sound stupid, but I am looking at buying a kyocera
> 7135 which my provider uses, but don't want to pay $399 and committ for
> 2 more years. I have seen a bunch of these go on ebay for less than
> half of this price. In one description it says that they could not
> provide the ESN#.
> Is this something needed to unlock or activate?
> If my provider regularily activates and programs this phone would they
> be able to perform this or are they going to need a phone that is
> already unlocked?
>
> Or if anyone has any info on how to handle the programming/activation
> of this phone, please post.
>
> FWIW I am looking at this phone becasue it has all of the features that
> I am looking for and was thinking of getting a PDA that plays MP3s and
> rather than to have to carry and keep track of all of the different
> devices, I thought I'd go this route.
>
> If anyone knows of any other CDMA Tri-Mode phones that will do all of
> this please let me know.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
Related resources
March 1, 2005 5:39:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On 1 Mar 2005 10:44:18 -0800, bucky@onwisconsin.com wrote:

>Alright this might sound stupid, but I am looking at buying a kyocera
>7135 which my provider uses, but don't want to pay $399 and committ for
>2 more years. I have seen a bunch of these go on ebay for less than
>half of this price. In one description it says that they could not
>provide the ESN#.
>Is this something needed to unlock or activate?

Without the ESN you cannot activate. If the service that that phone
was on was in default or had other reasons why the carrier would not
release the ESN you could not use that phone.

>If my provider regularily activates and programs this phone would they
>be able to perform this or are they going to need a phone that is
>already unlocked?

As long as that phone has been used on your network or is one that is
in their database you can use it. Some carriers will not let you use
a phone that has not been on their network. Sprint PCS is one of
those. Also if you have a TDMA phone from AT&T Wireless cingular will
not activate it on their network. Now that they're a combined company
that may be different.

>Or if anyone has any info on how to handle the programming/activation
>of this phone, please post.

The carrier where you will use the service will instruct you how to
program it for your service.

>FWIW I am looking at this phone becasue it has all of the features that
>I am looking for and was thinking of getting a PDA that plays MP3s and
>rather than to have to carry and keep track of all of the different
>devices, I thought I'd go this route.
>
>If anyone knows of any other CDMA Tri-Mode phones that will do all of
>this please let me know.

It's better to get a phone that's meant for your service rather than
risk it being incompatible with who you are using for a carrier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
March 1, 2005 6:47:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

DrJoel wrote:
> The ESN number is located under the battery of a CDMA phone. Remove
> battery and copy number down. Then you got to VZW and give them the new
> ESN number to activate phone. Each phone has its own ESN number. Just
> keep in mind that if the ESN turns out to be that of a stolen phone you
> are out of luck. Also ask you local VZW dealer if I am correct.

I have a Moto V60s and, out of curiosity, I took the battery out to
check for the ESN. I don't see anything that is specifically the ESN.
Is it the FCC ID? There are also three bar codes with various information.

How can I tell what the ESN is?

Thanks. Tom
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 6:47:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Tom wrote:
> DrJoel wrote:
>> The ESN number is located under the battery of a CDMA
>> phone. Remove battery and copy number down. Then you got
>> to VZW and give them the new ESN number to activate
>> phone. Each phone has its own ESN number. Just keep in
>> mind that if the ESN turns out to be that of a stolen
>> phone you are out of luck. Also ask you local VZW dealer
>> if I am correct.
>
> I have a Moto V60s and, out of curiosity, I took the
> battery out to
> check for the ESN. I don't see anything that is
> specifically the ESN.
> Is it the FCC ID? There are also three bar codes with
> various information.
>
> How can I tell what the ESN is?

From the VZW activation page:

How to find your ESN

All mobile phones are identified by an Electronic Serial Number (ESN), which
is typically found in the back of the handset, after removing your battery.
ESNs are represented in two ways: decimal and hexidecimal. Decimal is
represented by 11 numerical characters, e.g 2204596915. Hexadecimal (HEX) is
represented by 8 characters which are numbers and letters, e.g. e04624b3.

Tips:
Don't confuse the letter O with the number 0 (zero). It is always zero. An
ESN will only contain letters A-F.
March 1, 2005 7:07:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Quick wrote:
> Tom wrote:
>
>>DrJoel wrote:
>>
>>>The ESN number is located under the battery of a CDMA
>>>phone. Remove battery and copy number down. Then you got
>>>to VZW and give them the new ESN number to activate
>>>phone. Each phone has its own ESN number. Just keep in
>>>mind that if the ESN turns out to be that of a stolen
>>>phone you are out of luck. Also ask you local VZW dealer
>>>if I am correct.
>>
>>I have a Moto V60s and, out of curiosity, I took the
>>battery out to
>>check for the ESN. I don't see anything that is
>>specifically the ESN.
>>Is it the FCC ID? There are also three bar codes with
>>various information.
>>
>>How can I tell what the ESN is?
>
>
> From the VZW activation page:
>
> How to find your ESN
>
> All mobile phones are identified by an Electronic Serial Number (ESN), which
> is typically found in the back of the handset, after removing your battery.
> ESNs are represented in two ways: decimal and hexidecimal. Decimal is
> represented by 11 numerical characters, e.g 2204596915. Hexadecimal (HEX) is
> represented by 8 characters which are numbers and letters, e.g. e04624b3.
>
> Tips:
> Don't confuse the letter O with the number 0 (zero). It is always zero. An
> ESN will only contain letters A-F.
>
>
Thanks, Quick. Tom
March 1, 2005 7:37:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The phone is offered through my carrier at $399. Kyocera's website had
one listed for $189 (I think without actvation required)
There were several on ebay that were guaranteed.
The system that I will be using it on is a Tri-mode CDMA which is what
all of the phones that I had seen on ebay.

I am aware of the risks of buying on ebay, however there are
precautions that can be taken.

Only looking for info on how to activate the phone once I get it.

Thanks for your help so far.
March 1, 2005 8:49:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:47:57 -0500, Tom <Tom@cox.net> wrote:

>I have a Moto V60s and, out of curiosity, I took the battery out to
>check for the ESN. I don't see anything that is specifically the ESN.
>Is it the FCC ID? There are also three bar codes with various information.
>
>How can I tell what the ESN is?

It should be labeled ESN. It is not the FCC ID.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
March 2, 2005 5:15:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

so what do we use to activate, the DEC or HEX?

<bucky@onwisconsin.com> wrote in message
news:1109702658.696238.42640@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Alright this might sound stupid, but I am looking at buying a kyocera
> 7135 which my provider uses, but don't want to pay $399 and committ for
> 2 more years. I have seen a bunch of these go on ebay for less than
> half of this price. In one description it says that they could not
> provide the ESN#.
> Is this something needed to unlock or activate?
> If my provider regularily activates and programs this phone would they
> be able to perform this or are they going to need a phone that is
> already unlocked?
>
> Or if anyone has any info on how to handle the programming/activation
> of this phone, please post.
>
> FWIW I am looking at this phone becasue it has all of the features that
> I am looking for and was thinking of getting a PDA that plays MP3s and
> rather than to have to carry and keep track of all of the different
> devices, I thought I'd go this route.
>
> If anyone knows of any other CDMA Tri-Mode phones that will do all of
> this please let me know.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 5:15:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

They are actually one and the same.
Just different ways of representing the same number.
(1-9 vs 1-F)

Both can be use to activate a phone.


"Jason" <none@none.invalid> wrote in message
news:Ik9Vd.65269$Dc.10473@trnddc06...
> so what do we use to activate, the DEC or HEX?
>
> <bucky@onwisconsin.com> wrote in message
> news:1109702658.696238.42640@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> Alright this might sound stupid, but I am looking at buying a kyocera
>> 7135 which my provider uses, but don't want to pay $399 and committ for
>> 2 more years. I have seen a bunch of these go on ebay for less than
>> half of this price. In one description it says that they could not
>> provide the ESN#.
>> Is this something needed to unlock or activate?
>> If my provider regularily activates and programs this phone would they
>> be able to perform this or are they going to need a phone that is
>> already unlocked?
>>
>> Or if anyone has any info on how to handle the programming/activation
>> of this phone, please post.
>>
>> FWIW I am looking at this phone becasue it has all of the features that
>> I am looking for and was thinking of getting a PDA that plays MP3s and
>> rather than to have to carry and keep track of all of the different
>> devices, I thought I'd go this route.
>>
>> If anyone knows of any other CDMA Tri-Mode phones that will do all of
>> this please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>>
>
>
March 2, 2005 5:38:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

i found out its HEX

"Jason" <none@none.invalid> wrote in message
news:Ik9Vd.65269$Dc.10473@trnddc06...
> so what do we use to activate, the DEC or HEX?
>
> <bucky@onwisconsin.com> wrote in message
> news:1109702658.696238.42640@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Alright this might sound stupid, but I am looking at buying a kyocera
> > 7135 which my provider uses, but don't want to pay $399 and committ for
> > 2 more years. I have seen a bunch of these go on ebay for less than
> > half of this price. In one description it says that they could not
> > provide the ESN#.
> > Is this something needed to unlock or activate?
> > If my provider regularily activates and programs this phone would they
> > be able to perform this or are they going to need a phone that is
> > already unlocked?
> >
> > Or if anyone has any info on how to handle the programming/activation
> > of this phone, please post.
> >
> > FWIW I am looking at this phone becasue it has all of the features that
> > I am looking for and was thinking of getting a PDA that plays MP3s and
> > rather than to have to carry and keep track of all of the different
> > devices, I thought I'd go this route.
> >
> > If anyone knows of any other CDMA Tri-Mode phones that will do all of
> > this please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
>
>
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 6:55:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:11:20 -0800, "Richard Ness"
<richard.no@gamn.spam.nessnet.com> wrote:

>They are actually one and the same.
>Just different ways of representing the same number.
>(1-9 vs 1-F)
>
>Both can be use to activate a phone.
>
>
Actually it's 0-9 and 0-F

Just my 00000010 cents :) 
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 6:55:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

That pesky 0........
My oversight...

"Sandy A. Nicolaysen" <sandynic@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o 7ea21dq3grqjj9abir28l2aul1nmepa0s@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:11:20 -0800, "Richard Ness"
> <richard.no@gamn.spam.nessnet.com> wrote:
>
>>They are actually one and the same.
>>Just different ways of representing the same number.
>>(1-9 vs 1-F)
>>
>>Both can be use to activate a phone.
>>
>>
> Actually it's 0-9 and 0-F
>
> Just my 00000010 cents :) 
>
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 6:55:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Pesky?!?! I always thought the invention of using 0 as a placeholder is the
foundation of modern mathematics?!?!?


Richard Ness wrote:
> That pesky 0........
> My oversight...
>
> "Sandy A. Nicolaysen" <sandynic@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:o 7ea21dq3grqjj9abir28l2aul1nmepa0s@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:11:20 -0800, "Richard Ness"
>> <richard.no@gamn.spam.nessnet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> They are actually one and the same.
>>> Just different ways of representing the same number.
>>> (1-9 vs 1-F)
>>>
>>> Both can be use to activate a phone.
>>>
>>>
>> Actually it's 0-9 and 0-F
>>
>> Just my 00000010 cents :) 
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:09:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:15:04 GMT, "Jason" <none@none.invalid> wrote:

>so what do we use to activate, the DEC or HEX?

Either one.
--
To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:14:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

bucky@onwisconsin.com wrote:
> The phone is offered through my carrier at $399.
> Kyocera's website had one listed for $189 (I think
> without actvation required)
> There were several on ebay that were guaranteed.
> The system that I will be using it on is a Tri-mode CDMA
> which is what all of the phones that I had seen on ebay.
>
> I am aware of the risks of buying on ebay, however there
> are precautions that can be taken.
>
> Only looking for info on how to activate the phone once I
> get it.

ok... also make sure it's not subsidy locked.

When you say $189 on Kyocera's website do you mean
that Kyocera is selling it for $189? Maybe a refurb? I'd
go for that.
March 2, 2005 3:01:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

There is a link on the website.
I was just cruising through so I don't know if activation with a
service is required or not.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 7:07:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <Sx4Vd.37281$%U2.32850@lakeread01>, Tom@cox.net says...
> DrJoel wrote:
> > The ESN number is located under the battery of a CDMA phone. Remove
> > battery and copy number down. Then you got to VZW and give them the new
> > ESN number to activate phone. Each phone has its own ESN number. Just
> > keep in mind that if the ESN turns out to be that of a stolen phone you
> > are out of luck. Also ask you local VZW dealer if I am correct.
>
> I have a Moto V60s and, out of curiosity, I took the battery out to
> check for the ESN. I don't see anything that is specifically the ESN.
> Is it the FCC ID? There are also three bar codes with various information.
>
> How can I tell what the ESN is?

It's not the FCC ID; that's the phone model code used in its FCC
registration. On the 7135, the ESN is listed twice, in both decimal and
hexadecimal (base 16). The numbers are on the label under the battery,
after the prefix "D:" for the decimal version and "H:" for the hex
version. Also, the ESN can be displayed via the programming interface:
Dial "111111", then scroll down to Options, click on it; then click on
Version, and scroll down and the ESN is displayed first in hex and then
in decimal.

--
Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD, USA
Replace "example.invalid" with ".com".
!