Can't Install Print/Scan/Copy Software

I have a Compaq Presario. Its about 2-1/2 years old. Windows XP Home
Edition, 60 GB HD, 512 MB memory (now). Was formerly using a parallel cable
printer. It started eating the paper. Bought a Lexmark X1185 All-In-One
Print/Scan/Copy Printer with USB connections. Have been unable to install the
CD-rom installation software. After I click on INSTALL, a window opens and I
get the following message:
NTVDM KERNEL: Missing 16 bit system module
Please Re-Install the following module to your system32 directory
SYSTEM.DRV
***I've been told by Compaq that in order to correct this I must re-install
XP and loose all. Can anyone give some better options please. Need Help. I
consider myself a beginner even though I've owned a computer for about 5
years.
1 answer Last reply
More about install print scan copy software

    Try a System File Check first.... from the Command Prompt, type

    sfc /scannow

    (note the space between the c and the /)

    www.coribright.com

    "BigJoe" <BigJoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Compaq Presario. Its about 2-1/2 years old. Windows XP Home
    > Edition, 60 GB HD, 512 MB memory (now). Was formerly using a parallel
    > cable
    > printer. It started eating the paper. Bought a Lexmark X1185 All-In-One
    > Print/Scan/Copy Printer with USB connections. Have been unable to install
    > the
    > CD-rom installation software. After I click on INSTALL, a window opens and
    > get the following message:
    > NTVDM KERNEL: Missing 16 bit system module
    > Please Re-Install the following module to your system32 directory
    > SYSTEM.DRV
    > ***I've been told by Compaq that in order to correct this I must
    > re-install
    > XP and loose all. Can anyone give some better options please. Need Help.
    > consider myself a beginner even though I've owned a computer for about 5
    > years.

Windows XP