Quiet fan for 1.333?

smooveb

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2001
Hi Everyone,

using a GlobalWin fan right now, one of the coolest on the market I believe, but none too quite. Since I don't really overclock, I'm thinking I could get something much, much quieter, and make myself happy. Wondering if anyone has good ideas regarding an extremely quiet fan that gets the job done (read - no danger to chip ;)
As well, not sure if I'll need to get a new heatsink simply to fit a new fan...

Thanks in advance everyone, this is my first post here!
B

G

The NC Silverado 50.

Comes with adaptors for 6-8-10-12 Volts.

6v = Up to 1200Mhz
8v = Up to 1500Mhz
10v = Past 1500Mhz
12v = Past 1500Mhz

It's VERY quiet, running it at 6v, it's only 12db of "Noise", maybe thats why the company (German) name themselves NoiseControl....

Comes with 50 Grams of pure silver attached at the bottom.
In all it weights 550 Grams, so it's not for a LANPARTY machine being moved around all the time due to the heavy load on Socket/Mobo.

A bit expensive, but worth it.

smooveb

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2001
Sweet, thanks, sounds like just what I'm looking for. Wondering who I can get this from in the US? Pricewatch doesn't seem to have the listing...
B

G

<A HREF="http://www.plycon.com" target="_new">http://www.plycon.com</A>

Has it at $59.99.

smooveb

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2001
I suppose I should make sure to ask if that's a good fan for my socket A Athlon 1.333? :) Should've mentioned that up front I'm sure!
B

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
the same old misconception. Heatsinks do not cause noise!!! Damn fellas I wonder sometimes if you really read your posts. If you want quieter operation, replace the fan on the heatsink. If you are not overclocking, why buy a $50 heatsink/fan combo just for quieter operation?? This makes no sense.

What is the fan you are using? Can you go with a Sanyo Denki 60mm fan that produces 20+ cfm and 20db?? Will that cool suffieciently??

Just replace the fan with one that is rated at a lower rpm, and lower the noise. $5 fix.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

G

I have a 1.333 and the NC and is getting 28°C Idle, 42°C Full load.

smooveb

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2001
thx Mindbuster. Funkdog, wondering if any fan will fit my current heatsink - if so, you're correct I should just get a fan; perhaps with lower rpm, but somehow one that will keep my cpu just as cool...

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I bought a Thermaltake 60mm fan to replace my Delta screamer. Rated at 31cfm and mid to high 20's for db, this fan is great. I believe you can slap any 60x60mm fan on your Globalwin heatsink. If you are not overclocking I'd think you could go as low as mid 20's on your cfm, where you can get the low 20's in db. I'd definately look at a new fan before you lay down $50 for a Noiscontrol Silverado, which by the way isn't even close to being top dog. for $50 buy an Alpha Pal 8045 and put a low noise 80mm fan on top. Now I'm giving myself ideas......

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
The heatsink on the silverado isn't very good, it's the squirel fans that make it quiet, so a decent heatsink with a quiet fan will do the same, of course I've never heard a Silverado in use. I just don't like the idea of spending $50 on a heatsink setup when you can replace a fan. It's your money bud, but don't expect to overclock any with the Silverado, or run cool for that matter, they are good for silence not cooling.

G

The guy says he aint OC'ing, but anyway, if he did, the Silverado is just fine for OC'ing.
Right now i'm running my 1.333 at 12*133/Vcore 1.85 (1600Mhz) and gets 36°C Idle, 54°C Full, that's with Arctic Silver and a coppershim, using the 12v Adapter.
Before i got my Athlon it was running a Duron 800 at 1150 for months (That was with a voltagehack, 2.0v)

So, where did you hear or read about the Silverado isnt good for OC'ing??? I would like to have a big laugh :eek:)

Once you got a Silverado, you're aint gonna buy another HSF, maybe thats why you cant buy them everywhere and is mostly a European thing, others dont wanna import them, if they do they cant sell all their Alpha this alpha that. Whoa, remember before i got it, loads of heatsinks laying around, and "whoa, they made a new hsf, let's buy it" kinda thing.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
The same thing happens everytime a new HS comes out. The Silverado was big news when it arrived, but since has been overshadowed by less expensive and more efficient designs. As well as lighter designs. Your case may be the exception, but generally the Silverado isn't viewed as an Oc'ing cooler. I get better temps off my Year and a half old Alpha Pal-6035 Heatsink with Thermaltake 60mm fan, than you get with your Silverado.

I just wanted to tell the guy that he didn't have to shell out $50 for a quieter setup. That is all. Why would you even think to have this guy spend $50 for a new heatsink when all he needs is a quieter fan?

BTW I was actually thinking of using a Squirel setup as a blowhole in the front as an intake on my case, with a nice 120mm fan on top as exhaust, ah new thoughts.

G

"I get better temps off my Year and a half old Alpha Pal-6035 Heatsink with Thermaltake 60mm fan, than you get with your Silverado."

Sure, but then were back to the NOISE.
If i took off the two squirel fans on the Silverado and put on a ThermalTake 60mm fan as you have i would be running lower at the same Noiselevel as you....sooo...

Btw, hehe, YOU could buy a Silverado, take off the squirel fans for use with your front blowhole, and then do as the above mentioned solution.... Whoaa... LOL :O)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MindBuster on 10/27/01 02:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

LOL, overlooked this one...

"the same old misconception. Heatsinks do not cause noise!!! Damn fellas I wonder sometimes if you really read your posts."

Funkdog, try blowing air out of your mouth... hearing anything??? yes i guess, now, try taking a heatsink (or any similar object you got handy), hold it close up infront of your mouth and blow again...
Hear any difference??? I know you do...

The shape of the heatsink has a lot to do with how much noise you hear.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Interesting way to look at it. Learned something today. And yes now my mind is a buzz with blowhole concepts. I've been debating on bustin out the Dremel for a while.

At work in the Milk cooler they use a big ass squirrel fan, gotta blow like 200cfm (maybe an exageration, but man it's alot) and it isn't very loud, gotta find out where they got these. Figure a way to mount the fan inside infront of the PSU and flush mount on top exhausting up. Then mount a nice 120 in the front bezel for intake. Talk about air flow. Yikes.

Know where I can get a nice Gamma30 fan? LOL