Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard inactive after boot up

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2010 7:31:45 PM

Keyboard is inactive after initial boot up - can't enter password to log in. Works fine after mouse initiated restart. Suspect it was caused by some software upgrade.

More about : keyboard inactive boot

October 19, 2010 8:23:28 AM

Start windows in safe mode to check if its caused by some s/w upgrade.
October 19, 2010 6:58:53 PM

So, after you restarted, now the keyboard is working ok? Subsequent reboots show the keyboard is still working? "Initial boot up" meaning first time powering on a brand new machine? When a keyboard is plugged in to a different USB port (unless this is ps2?) it will often take an extra 15 seconds or so to detect the device and load up the drivers. If that isn't the case, then it could be caused by a loose physical connection. If it was s/w upgrade of some sort, I would imagine the issue would be consistent, but that isn't the case, right?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2010 7:12:51 PM

brandoncatz said:
So, after you restarted, now the keyboard is working ok? Subsequent reboots show the keyboard is still working? "Initial boot up" meaning first time powering on a brand new machine? When a keyboard is plugged in to a different USB port (unless this is ps2?) it will often take an extra 15 seconds or so to detect the device and load up the drivers. If that isn't the case, then it could be caused by a loose physical connection. If it was s/w upgrade of some sort, I would imagine the issue would be consistent, but that isn't the case, right?

The keyboard problem is after bootup from any power on start - every time.
A restart or cycle through sleep mode initiated by the mouse clears the problem - every time. This is a consistent problem and seems to have nothing to do with keyboard connection etd.
October 19, 2010 10:28:04 PM

Ok, couple of things. First off, from a cold boot can you press del or whatever key gets you in to the BIOS, or F8 for startup options? Just trying to see if it works ok prior to Windows to determine whether it is a potential driver or BIOS issue. If the keyboard doesn't work from cold boot even pre-Windows, then I would start with a BIOS update (check the motherboard manufacturer). If after Windows loads is the only time the issue shows up, then update the chipset drivers (again from the manfacturer's website) to hopefully get the latest USB controller drivers (this is a USB keyboard, right?).
October 19, 2010 11:43:01 PM

Is your keyboard wireless?
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2010 7:28:12 PM

brandoncatz said:
Ok, couple of things. First off, from a cold boot can you press del or whatever key gets you in to the BIOS, or F8 for startup options? Just trying to see if it works ok prior to Windows to determine whether it is a potential driver or BIOS issue. If the keyboard doesn't work from cold boot even pre-Windows, then I would start with a BIOS update (check the motherboard manufacturer). If after Windows loads is the only time the issue shows up, then update the chipset drivers (again from the manfacturer's website) to hopefully get the latest USB controller drivers (this is a USB keyboard, right?).

After repeating several days in a row, the problem failed to happen today at power on. Stand by and I'll see what happens from here. Thanks for your suggestions - I'll keep them just in case. (USB keyboard - yes)

Larry
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2010 7:31:12 PM

HavoCnMe said:
Is your keyboard wireless?

No. USB type. Note my response to brandoncatz. Today the problem didn't occur so stand by and see if it has cleared somehow.
Larry
October 20, 2010 7:47:29 PM

Sounds good. Try those few things I suggested and let us know what happens.
!