Fares_Halteh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
http://members.home.net/halteh4/ripping.jpg

Im running a 1.2 tbird, 764 RAM, A7V, plextor 12/10/32A. When I rip a cd it uses full cpu power and never passes the 10.5x barrier. Also I cannot seem to burn passed 10x. 12x always fails and I notices that CPU power when burning 10x coasts just around 75-85% but once i raise it to 12x it hits 100% and than fails within the first minute. Do I have something not properly set up? is there anything I can do about this? it just doesn't seem right to me. Thanks

p.s. I do recall a time when I was able to burn at 12x and rip at 17x, it hasn't done this for a long time though.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I dont know the full spec for that drive, but 10.5x ripping audio doesnt seem TOO bad for a writer, for eg. my plextor ultpalpex 40 will rip at at least 17x but doesnt get higher than 30- thats a scsi cd drive- not a writer. As for the problem writing at 12x, could be a few things, are you going on the fly or from your hard drive? try going from the hard drive, do a defrag also, also enable dma on the writer. You may get better answers in the cdwriter forum.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Well, to first check and see what is appropiate for the drive check out <A HREF="http://www.cdspeed2000.com" target="_new">cd speed</A>. For a a 12/10 you should expect a max extract speed of 24.7. I have a 1.2 tbird with a 12/10/32a and had problems doing a cd to cd on the fly when both drives were on the same channel. I separated them and then was ok (FYI, the reading drive was an ASUS 12x DVD, the only DVD capable of doing a 12x read on the fly until recently). I personally have seen 18x max dae extraction from the plex, and it certainly wasn't the hd slowing it down (2x 7200 ata100's in raid 0 on a completely sepate controller).

So anyway, if the hd or cd you are reading from is on the same ide channel as the plextor - try separating them.

<font color=blue><i>On Company time... :cool:

Fares_Halteh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
see under any other circumstances i wouldn't have a problem with 10.5x
ripping. My concern is this (http://members.home.net/halteh4/ripping.jpg)
in the screen shot you will see 100% CPU being used at 10.5x, I am kind of
equating this 10.5x rip speed with the reason I can't burn at more than 10x
either. Seems like the drive takes so much power from my cpu that it just
can't give out anymore to burn at 12x. Like i said in the original post, I
get about 85% cpu usage when burning at 10x, once i jack it to 12x i get
about 1 min of it burning at 12x using 100% cpu power than it fails. It
seems to me as though the processor just can't keep up with the writer.
Also the fact that I used to be able to rip at 17x and burn at 12x with no
problems is leading me to believe that something isn't right or has been
changed. I am only burning from the HD and I have tried defragging many
times.

Where can I enable dma on the writer?
thanks for the help.

Fares Halteh - Halteh3@home.com

Many VIA chipset boards with the 686b southbridge will have data corruption when moving large files from one channel to another This may be your problem.
The option for DMA is in device manager. Click on your device,properties, and then the settings tab.

I aint signing nothing!!!