Help. I think I fried my Duron :(

G

I was trying to unlock my Duron 950, which is (was) running on an Asus A7V133 mainboard. I tried to connect the bridges with a pencil and after doing so (carefully so that only the appropriate bridge was connected), it wouldn't post afterwards. On Tom's how-to, he said if this happened, just erase the previous marks and it would be fine. I did so, and it won't post at ALL anymore. I tried mulitiple times to remove the marks, and even though they are completely gone (from what I can tell), it still won't post. Any suggestions? I'm posting this from a friend's computer. If I've fried the Duron, I'm pretty much screwed because I can't very easily get a new processor :(

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
try your friends cpu in your board, or your duron in your friends...
does the cpu get warm?
and how far did you overclock it?
or did you jsut unlock it? because if you did overclock, and go WAYYYY over what is reasonable, then it could have fried...
but i dont think that you can fry it from unlocking it..unless you accidentally "unlocked" the wrong bridges...
i hope that it isnt fried...because that would suck!
i hope that someone else will be able to help you out more...i am not really planning on unlocking my cpu, because i really dont feel like messing it up...
i would like to up the fsb to 266 tho...
make it a 1.2 ghz, but when i do that, it wont post at all, unless i reset the bios...
OH..that is something that you might want to try, especially if the cpu is set up by the bios...try using the reset bios jumper...or taking the battery out for about 20 seconds, then replacing it.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Yes, my friend has a Duron as well, so I will test that over at his house tomorrow. I had my chip overclocked to 1.1 ghz stabily before I tried unlocking it, and yes that's all I did. I tried to connect the bridge and unlock the multiplier, and what happened is what I stated in the previous post.

G

Check the core for cracks. I chipped a corner of the core while re-mounting the heatsink. If thats the case, sorry for your Duron. Happened to my Duron 600 @ 800 while installing the ThermoEngine :(

I believe if the pencil traces touch each other, the CPU just gets locked at a certain multiplier. I haven't heard any stories about the burn-up due to bad pencil connection.

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>