Windows Media Player Will Not Open

I'm currently running Windows ME on a Compaq Presario (128 ram, 40gb hard
drive, 21 gb used and 17 free.) Over the summer I downloaded theWindows
Media player that comes with XP (the one that lets you rate the
songs). It's been running perfectly and hasn't given me any problems up to
now.

A few days ago I was trying to play an avi file but Windows Media Player
jammed up and wouldn't open. I restarted my computer and the avi file still
wouldn't open. Not only that, I couldn't get windows media player to open
at all. I did play the avi clip with real media player without any
problems.

Whenever I click on the windows media player shortcut on my desktop I
think it tries to open but gets jammed. When I hit alt-Ctrl-Delete I can
see "Wmplayer" listed. Also, it slows my computer down. I have to hit "end
task" to kill the program. I can not get the player to open at all.

Also, I just remembered - before I downloaded that avi file I was on the
XM Radio web site trying to listen to their audio stream free for three
days. I've been listening to their audio stream for free for the last week
without any trouble (I've been creating different e-mail address). But that
night their audio stream would not play at all. Then later that night when
I tried playing that avi clip Windows Media Player wouldn't open. I'm
wondering if that XM Radio player might have screwed things up.

I've tried using system restore about six times tonight but I keep
getting the message - system restore will not/can not let you restore. I
have plenty of space on my hard drive and partition for system restore to
work.

Ok, where do I go from here?

Thanks!

In article <um9td.3310$0r.166@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Von
Fourche <monaco6178@hotmail.com> writes
> I'm currently running Windows ME on a Compaq Presario (128 ram, 40gb hard
>drive, 21 gb used and 17 free.) Over the summer I downloaded theWindows
>Media player that comes with XP (the one that lets you rate the
>songs). It's been running perfectly and hasn't given me any problems up to
>now.

Do you mean 9 series or 10 series of Windows Media Player? If it is
series 10, I am surprised that it installed and I am not surprised that
you have problems, series 10 is XP only.

The choice of download for series 9 is dependant on operating system.
If you managed to get the wrong version to load on ME I would expect to
get problems.

You could check to see if Windows Media Player is listed in Add/Remove
programs (the correct version of series 9 is not) and remove it.
(Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs and look at the
list). Failing that you could try removing Media Player 1.0 from
Windows Setup (Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs
and look under the Windows Setup tab under multimedia) although I do not
hold much hope here.

> A few days ago I was trying to play an avi file but Windows Media Player
>jammed up and wouldn't open. I restarted my computer and the avi file still
>wouldn't open. Not only that, I couldn't get windows media player to open
>at all. I did play the avi clip with real media player without any
>problems.
>
> Whenever I click on the windows media player shortcut on my desktop I
>think it tries to open but gets jammed. When I hit alt-Ctrl-Delete I can
>see "Wmplayer" listed. Also, it slows my computer down. I have to hit "end
>task" to kill the program. I can not get the player to open at all.
>
> Also, I just remembered - before I downloaded that avi file I was on the
>XM Radio web site trying to listen to their audio stream free for three
>days. I've been listening to their audio stream for free for the last week
>without any trouble (I've been creating different e-mail address). But that
>night their audio stream would not play at all. Then later that night when
>I tried playing that avi clip Windows Media Player wouldn't open. I'm
>wondering if that XM Radio player might have screwed things up.
>
> I've tried using system restore about six times tonight but I keep
>getting the message - system restore will not/can not let you restore. I
>have plenty of space on my hard drive and partition for system restore to
>work.

You did perform all the Windows ME updates? There is a bug in the
System Restore shipped with ME, whereby snapshots taken after 8
September 2001 are incorrectly date stamped and will (according to
Microsoft 'may') work. There is a bug fix for this. However it wipes
out all previous snapshots.

To run Windows Update open Internet Explorer, Tools-> Windows Update and
follow the instructions.

> Ok, where do I go from here?

Probably Quick Restore Disks and then Windows Update, which will offer
you the opportunity to install series 9 of Windows Media Player, or
install Windows ME from an install disk. Either way you will loose any
data on your hard drive.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"